Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne vs. MB E63 AMG Wagen

Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my E63 sedan (W211) better than the Cayenne, simply because it's not as high.

BUT

Cayenne does have AWD for winter activities without having to deal with chain. Also because of the higher height, I don't have to worry about scraping.

$0.02
Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
I like my E63 sedan (W211) better than the Cayenne, simply because it's not as high.

BUT

Cayenne does have AWD for winter activities without having to deal with chain. Also because of the higher height, I don't have to worry about scraping.

$0.02
Chains are not a requirement around here. If I was in the Rockies/sierras I'd get awd just to not worry about chains. Frankly, I haven't found awd to be a necessity here. A good set of snows more or less eliminates the need. I don't find that awd cars with snows are that much better than rwd/fwd with snows unless I'm on terrain that's drastically uneven.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I think I would have to put my dog in some kind of suit. The idea of long dog hair, slobber and general musk make me so averse in a nice luxury car. My dog goes in the beater lol.
The whole point of having an SUV is for the dogs, kid....etc!

Otherwise I'd have a sport sedan.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Go ahead and spoil it. That $5 will go approximately 22~ miles in either of the cars.
R&T liked Cayenne interior better, the Porsche's brakes, and the fact that it can tow and the Mercedes can't. The AWD in the Cayenne was an advantage in this comparison of 2013 models, although for 2014 apparently the E63 is getting AWD too.

In every other catagory they preferred the Merc. I think they were simply overwhelmed by the idea of it: "The Mercedes is the most. It's the everything. It wins by virtue of it's mere existence."

Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

get one of each.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
R&T liked Cayenne interior better, the Porsche's brakes, and the fact that it can tow and the Mercedes can't. The AWD in the Cayenne was an advantage in this comparison of 2013 models, although for 2014 apparently the E63 is getting AWD too.

In every other catagory they preferred the Merc. I think they were simply overwhelmed by the idea of it: "The Mercedes is the most. It's the everything. It wins by virtue of it's mere existence."

Hmmm... Interesting about the interiors. My experience is that both MB and Porsche have always been roughly the same.

The good news is I don't plan on needing to tow anything. But with all that torque on the Benz, why not? Perhaps the unibody cant handle it.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
get one of each.
Got room for me in your basement?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky

That was my problem in my search. The MFGs are catering to those that don't use them for utility. Really sucks for those of that do.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:08 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky

I definitely use the heck out of my SUV. Have kids. But I don't like the smell, the hair or the reality of having my dog in the nice car. I think I'm more adventurous About where I take it and how I drive it but I like the inside to stay nice. My ML430 is for taking a beating as its a lived in lover. My cayenne is just such a pleasant place to be.. it's the one sacred place that isn't all doggy.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Hmmm... Interesting about the interiors. My experience is that both MB and Porsche have always been roughly the same.

The good news is I don't plan on needing to tow anything. But with all that torque on the Benz, why not? Perhaps the unibody cant handle it.
R&t's issue was basically that the E class, not being a top of the line Mercedes, uses materials that are "a step down on many surfaces, especially the hard, inexpensive seeming door and lower dash trim". The Cayenne was much better in this respect, in their opinion. Maybe the Merc just suffered in comparison.

As for towing, I don't know if it's a structural issue, or that the car sits so low.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Cole
Drifting

Man, you guys are funny. The CTT is the best "Sports & Utility" vehicle I've had yet.

The full leather interior and the great carpet choice by Porsche makes sure that it cleans up super easy and doesn't retain unwanted smells. My Jeeps were MUCH harder to clean dog fur out of and the cloth interiors retained smells.

This means that when your done using it, you can have your nice luxury car too!!

Are you guys trying to play frisbee with your dogs while driving? I take a wolf hybrid and Austrailian Shepard with me everywhere and they have no issues in the back of my 955.

With a 617lb tongue rating and self leveling air suspension you could use a trailer hitch mounted cargo box too. Carried this KLR650 around without issue.

I just toss a cargo box up top on the built in rails for storage with 4 people and two dogs going up skiing. Still room for a second box up there.

Great picture I found showing the ground clearance (obviously not at the Offroad setting either)

And for a little more utility, I run mine with 265/65/18 for winter (32")

Tows 7700lbs better than my Dodge Truck.

Another view of cargo space on the 955 (isn't the 958 bigger?)

This is a 951 engine block. Not the smallest engine on earth.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

For me, the MB's interior just kills the deal. It's just such a dour place to be. I want to love it, as I LOVE wagons, but damn, it's so boring and stodgy in there. On the other hand Freddie, you're used to it so.....

Another thing....the load space and seats are at a much more convenient height. The wagon is lower and is harder on the back when putting cargo in...or getting in and out.

But honestly, the E63 is a hoot. Hard to go wrong....
Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm waiting for the GL63's to start coming off lease. Best of both worlds and I really need the 3rd row.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Another thing....the load space and seats are at a much more convenient height. The wagon is lower and is harder on the back when putting cargo in...or getting in and out.
Not sure I agree with this. A lower cargo heigh means you don't have to lift it as far ( and in some cases not at all because it can be levered into the lower height)

I find loading my Eurovan or Audi S6 Avant pretty easy due to their low load heights.

Of course the adjustable load height of the Cayenne is nice !
Old 02-02-2013, 10:13 AM
YourFace
Spark-plug-girl
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Freddy .. have you thought about perhaps, renting each out for a month.. ride them before investing long term ... just make sure you get the BJ's in before your make the final call ..duh :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayenne vs. MB E63 AMG Wagen