Sedan to a 13 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 11:19 AM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sedan to a 13 GTS

Hello all,
Considering trading my 10 BMW M5 for a 13 Cayenne GTS. Its Red with 21" black wheels and loaded. 4-zone climate control, vented seats, etc. The only thing that I wish it had was the full leather dash and red stitching. That would be very cool.

My wife had a 10 GTS and traded it for a 12 Cayenne S Hybrid and she loves the new model. The times I do get to drive it - I am very impressed with the ride and light steering. I know the new GTS aren't that light in the steering, which is fine, but the drive of the new models is so much better than the previous models.

Any comments from any GTS owners out there is appreciated. Especially those who previously drove a 4-door sedan. This would be my first "SUV", I just wonder if I am going to regret not having a sedan
Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from an e60 (minus the M goodies) daily driver to a base Cayenne.

Two things that were immediately noticible were the:

Higher center of gravity. This gives it a rolling about feeling when gong straight, where the whole vehicle bobs side to side a bit. Although this reduces confidence at first, throw it into the twisties and it is remarkably tight.

Heavier vehicle. Although it does a remarkable job of masking the weight, when flinging it around at the limits it can make itself known.

You quickly get used to these two handling traits however.

Wife still has my BMW, so when I go back to it I remeber that low flat settled feeling. On the other hand the interior of the BMW seems downright spartan compared to the plethora of buttons and instruments on the Cayenne. I do actually miss the infamous iDrive, and actually find it better executed than moving my arm for the Porsche touch screen. The Porsche display instrument circle however is an excellent idea.

GTS - although I have not driven it, surely gives more of a sedan handling.

Also, have you considered if you really need two SUV's in the family? An equivalent sedan, will always be a better "drivers" car, more fuel efficient, better handling, and faster for the same power. How about an nice ugly from the rear Panamera?

An SUV is great for the utility it offers, spacious for the whole family, towing, carrying large items, rough-roading, etc. But in my case, the two of us never need to do these things at the same time ... so one SUV is enegh.

Last edited by steve_Cayenne; 12-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 PM
igoping
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '06 Cayenne S and 2 weeks ago I finally took delivery of my '13 GTS. Great SUV. Got the PDCC option and it handles beautifully. Believe what they say about how this car handles. It won't be as fast as your M5 but it has many other virtues that your M5 won't have. I am in an area where it snows once in awhile and the all wheel traction, luggage capacity, adjustable ground clearance mate well with the versatile power and car-like ride. I hope you like your car as much as I do.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:58 PM
cue003
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the gts with the pdcc and ptv options. Be prepared to not have the speed etc of your m5. It does sound amazing. It needs just a little more power in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Just got a Cayenne GTS ... as a replacement for a 997S cab!

The GTS is incredible: ample acceleration, handling rivaling a sports car (and I've done plenty of track days in a Cayman R), and sound effects that will make you lol - all in luxurious comfort. To make a vehicle of this height and weight perform like this is some remarkable engineering.

I recommend the GTS highly to anyone who needs an SUV but wishes they had a sports car.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Just got a Cayenne GTS ... as a replacement for a 997S cab!:
I've been playing with the Porsche online car configuratior. What options did you get?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I've been playing with the Porsche online car configuratior. What options did you get?
We got it off the lot, so we didn't spec it, but it seems well equipped. The main options and my opinions of them are:

- Two-tone interior: looks nice and worth it
- Walnut interior: also looks nice and worth it
- Light comfort pack: inexpensive, so worth it
- Sport chrono: inexpensive, but not needed
- Sirius radio: I personally don't need it
- Panorma roof: vice nice, lots of light, blockable with a screen
- Heated front seats: worth it in colder climates
- PCM with Nav: worth it
- Rear camera with park assist: very worth it, considering how big this thing is
- Lane change assist: haven't seen it activate yet, but probably a good idea
- Bose sound: not sure how it compares with the standard sound
- 21" wheels: I would have been happy with the standard 20", but I like a firm ride, so maybe 21" is good

I think PTV is standard, and PTV Plus and PDCC are options. IMO, these options aren't needed, because the handling without them is superb (with very little roll or understeer at sane but fast road speeds).

I should also note that the shifts in manual mode are satisfying fast. Not PDK fast, but fast enough.

For anyone who thinks an SUV can't perform like a sports car (which is what I fully thought until yesterday), drive the thing and see for yourself. Wow!

Quick Reply: Sedan to a 13 GTS