2014 Rumours!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 02:25 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
Here is an artists concept of the future Porsch SUV a$$ ... looks like it is inspired by the new Panamera concept rear, that was stated to be the new design direction for Porsche.

I think this would bring it out of the "generic asian" rear-end cliché!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

that looks more "Asian" in my view with respect to narrower rear lights instead of rounder eyes
Attached Images  

Last edited by Nhirsch; 11-24-2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 11-24-2012, 11:08 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But that image is for the Macan not the cayenne that is slated for 2014. you can tell its waaay smaller.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:29 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
+1

Old 11-24-2012, 12:26 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe in strong brand identity, through style elements that transcend different models and time. Design queues, that the first time you see a new product, the company is unmistakable.

Porsche has achieved that admirably across their line, and across decades for their front end.

Or for a view across ages, and models, click here ... nothing sticks out as not belonging with the others.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=porsc...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAA

As for their rears, they have been all over the place, and have no identity. IMHO, the previous cayenne rear was ugly, and shared no identity with other Porsches. The new Cayenne rear is inoffensive, but generic, and can easily be confused with other bland non-offensive asian SUV's bobbing in and out of traffic. The slanting up of the rear lights never even struck me that much as "Asian eyes" (my previous generation BMW 5 series front lights sure did, but thats a different story).

Porsche may have now finally found a corporate butt, and I think it could work! It fits well across diverse models, is not generic, does not confuse with another manufacturer (ok maybe lincoln )will it stand the test of time?

Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

And here are some other companies I admire for retaining design identity for decades!

Here is what happens when you have little style identity:

Last edited by steve_Cayenne; 11-24-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
And here are some other companies I admire for retaining design identity for decades!

FIFY

Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

FIFY
LOL, you cut out my other car!

Yes, Chris Bangle kinda lost the way in the name of progress ... I hated the "bangle butt" models when they first came out, then it became less offensive as the design aged and I ended up buying one!

I once read a design study from him that stated you need to design several models out into the future. It will likely have gone too far and have elements and styles that people will not be attracted to, as they are not familiar with them ... it takes time to cognitively understand the design, and eventually be attracted to it. You then design the in between models, to bring people to that state of mind. To basically teach them to love your final vision. Not sure what that says about his model that you removed in the timeline!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:04 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Speaking of losing your identity...
Back in tha day,the first nice car I got to drive and enjoy was a 1984 BMW 733i 5sp
My dad let me drive his car when I stayed at his place on the UES(Jefferson's building)Movin' on up
FDr drive,West side highway were my driving coaches...and that clutch was no joke..almost like when kick-starting my NX650,if you did not time it right..you would most definitely end up feeling it!!!
Man oh man did I love that car,revving that engine was a true automotive symphony that I looked forward to every time
Driving it was a raw and powerful experience
Fast forward a few years(27 to be precise )
...had a BMW 328i as a loaner for a day..since all P cars were busy..so I was briefly interested in experiencing what BMW had evolved to...
YIKES...what a let down!!!
Most boring car I ever drove
No personality whatsoever,no brakes,no power..no fun
Old 11-24-2012, 03:35 PM
ApeKillApe
Track Day

Originally Posted by jerry joseph
Speaking of losing your identity...
Back in tha day,the first nice car I got to drive and enjoy was a 1984 BMW 733i 5sp
My dad let me drive his car when I stayed at his place on the UES(Jefferson's building)Movin' on up
FDr drive,West side highway were my driving coaches...and that clutch was no joke..almost like when kick-starting my NX650,if you did not time it right..you would most definitely end up feeling it!!!
Man oh man did I love that car,revving that engine was a true automotive symphony that I looked forward to every time
Driving it was a raw and powerful experience
Fast forward a few years(27 to be precise )
...had a BMW 328i as a loaner for a day..since all P cars were busy..so I was briefly interested in experiencing what BMW had evolved to...
YIKES...what a let down!!!
Most boring car I ever drove
No personality whatsoever,no brakes,no power..no fun
Couldn't agree more. IMHO, BMw is a mess at its current state despite pallets of, trainloads of, and boatloads of F10s, F30s, and what not they have been selling nowadays. They are nicely looking; interior is spacious, luxurious, welcoming, and comfortable. However, the sensory deprivation of driving dynamics that used to make BMws special is turning BMws into Lexus. I would say E60 5 series is the last of old BMw. Even Lexus is closing the gap in designing and making cars more like the old BMw - the new GS for example.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:24 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

wa waa waaa waaaat !
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

id like to see:
slightly larger mirrors
replacement of the door lock button
a bigger speedo
available buttons on the sport paddle shifter steering wheel
standard Red calipers on the S model just like the 911
a wider cargo area for golf clubs
Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
slightly larger mirrors
Oh god yes!!! And in a manner that can be retrofitted too please.

The blind spots in the 958 are ridiculous.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
a wider cargo area for golf clubs
agree! and make the mirrors in a shape that is at least representative of what you are trying to see in back of you. forget the style witht he mirrors-make it functional.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like a larger number of presets on the radio, about 50 should do with the option to scan either frequency or preset

In addition I would like AirPlay integration and 4 wheel steering

Quick Reply: 2014 Rumours!