Sponsored by:

1st oil change in Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
At least the Porsche dealer or knowledgeable indy will know how to properly deal with the undertray, PDCC lines, filter housing, etc that need to be removed and replaced to access the filter regardless of whether they suck the oil out the top or not.

In any event, if what you say about many Porsche dealerships oil change proceedures is true, then I am dismayed , and all the more reason for me to feel good about doing oil changes myself.
Why would you be dismayed Mike? I don't think our vehicles (with the filters on the bottom) are designed to be evacuated from the top but that doesn't mean Porsche (VW/Audi) couldn't be designing the new vehicles for it. It would be interesting to hear from XR4Tim (or Porsche52) for his take on this issue.

No sign of the filter in this photo but that doesn't mean much. It could very easily be under the (decorative/plastic) cover.... (that's a BIG cover).

2nd photo is from C&D, I suspect it's a Euro version of the diesel engine (why do they get dipsticks and we don't???)

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, it's roughly at the 7 o'clock position - starin' right atcha

//greg//
Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Yup, it's roughly at the 7 o'clock position - starin' right atcha

//greg//
Umm, at 7 o'clock (in the photo) is the upper radiator hose (I suspect) (or maybe an air intake).

Maybe you mean at 7 o'clock under the engine cover?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Maybe you mean at 7 o'clock under the engine cover?
Precisely. If you check the time stamps, your photos were posted while I was composing the response

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 11-14-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Why would you be dismayed Mike? I don't think our vehicles (with the filters on the bottom) are designed to be evacuated from the top but that doesn't mean Porsche (VW/Audi) couldn't be designing the new vehicles for it. It would be interesting to hear from XR4Tim (or Porsche52) for his take on this issue.

No sign of the filter in this photo but that doesn't mean much. It could very easily be under the (decorative/plastic) cover.... (that's a BIG cover).

2nd photo is from C&D, I suspect it's a Euro version of the diesel engine (why do they get dipsticks and we don't???)
Bill, my statement about being dismayed was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, hence the "winky" face after it. I save my real dismay for bigger things.

Most of my comments on this issue relate specifically to the Cayenne V8 since admittedly I have no experience with the diesel. It appears that engine is set up to facilitate easier oil changes, especially with a top mounted filter.

That said, I've seen people at quick change oil places like Juffy Lube in action. Even dealerships typically have their least trained employees doing oil changes as I experienced years ago with a new Lotus Europa Special, much to my (real this time) dismay. I don't see why I should let undertrained, inexperienced folks practice on my $90K Porsche SUV. TEHO.

No doubt I'm being overly **** and paranoid, but that doesn't mean someone isn't out to get me.....
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Most of my comments on this issue relate specifically to the Cayenne V8 since admittedly I have no experience with the diesel.
Funny thing about that, I never comment on the V8 specifically because I have no experience with it.

//greg//
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Funny thing about that, I never comment on the V8 specifically because I have no experience with it.

//greg//
The gist of my comments related to whether I thought using quick stop oil places in general was a good idea, and some of my objections about them don't relate to the specifics of either the V8 or diesel Cayenne. Anyway, it's just my opinion, and I don't think I was out of place to express it.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

If we only talked about things we were subject matter experts in RL would be a very boring place.....

and my post count would be in the single digits.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:48 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 0.2c [to get my post count up is], regardless of who you use or what the MFD says, replace oil at least once a year.

Remember short trips are deadly for cars & oil as the oil doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the water out, so it makes a nice acid that eats away your lovely car.
I presume cars are better designed to combat this, but long term its not good for our cars.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by blazing928
my 0.2c [to get my post count up is], regardless of who you use or what the MFD says, replace oil at least once a year.
Your version of inflation I guess. But the MFD on my CD takes that into consideration as well. It reflects both miles (or kilometers) and days until the next oil/filter change is due. The day digits start at 365 and counts down. So you change oil/filter based upon which determining factor occurs first; xxxxx miles/km or 365 days.

//greg//
Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know the oil filter part number and have a source?
Sonnen Porsche?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:14 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Well, since you apparently weren't satisfied with my earlier response, the Porsche 958 107 222 20 also crosses over to
HENGST FILTER E816H D236
JS OE0091
MAHLE/KNECHT OX 420D
MANN HU 8005 Z
PORSCHE 958.107.222.20
VAG 059 198 405
VAG 059 115 561 D
VW 059115561D
VW 059198405

But I don't know where you live, so I can't tell you where to shop.

//greg//
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 997CS4
One of the beauties of diesel engines are the low maintance costs. The Dutch Porsche website says oil change every 30.000 km (18.750 miles) or every two years! Same for oil filter.
US diesel quality is inferior than European. Anyone ever notice that Europe sell 3 different qualities of diesel like the way gasoline is sold in the US?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by chsu74
US diesel quality is inferior than European. Anyone ever notice that Europe sell 3 different qualities of diesel like the way gasoline is sold in the US?
The availability of fuel is directly proportional to the number of vehicles that use it. Personal diesel vehicles represent only a fraction of the vehicles on American roads. But even with "clean diesel" sales on the rise, they still represent less than 1% of all vehicles sold in America this year. In Europe, over 40% of vehicles on the road are diesel, and that's rising each year. 70% of new car sales in Europe this year were diesel.

That said, at least we have two grades of diesel fuel here; regular and premium - although the dividing line between the two is somewhat speculative. Here's the list I go by:
BP (Amoco branded), 51;
Chevron, 49; or 51 with Techron D labels in select markets
ConocoPhillips through the 76 stations (California) 47-53
PetroCanada, 47-51
BP (Powerblend 47, otherwise 40-42)
Shell, 46;
Sinclair, 46;
Sunoco Gold, 45 (often +1-5) Sunoco regular is usually 40.
Exxon/Mobil, 43-46
Holiday Stations, 40-43
HESS, 40-42, can be up to 45.
Husky, 40 + diesel Max additives raise another 1-3 from there (41-45 max)
Love's: 40
Pilot: 40
Valero: 40
Sheetz: 40
Flying J, 40
I (arbitrarily) consider 40-46 cetane to be regular grade. Unfortunately, the premium grade is not widely distributed. That said, Europe exports some of its excess diesel fuel to America. I wonder if that's what sold as premium here (?). Anyway - in the absence of premium - I boost the cetane rate of regular diesel by adding Power Service; white jug in the winter, silver jug the rest of the year

//greg//
Old 12-19-2012, 12:30 AM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

I was 400 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer on a road trip when we got a Change Oil indication. Yes the Dealer prior to the trip and Owners manual state 10K for the first service. Interesting that I was first informed of the 5K interval change by the cars software rather than by Porsche or a dealer! Calling dealers I was informed that Porsche decided to decrease the interval due to the quality of diesel fuel in the USA. I am not aware of any national standard for Bio-diesel. Have had most success getting straight D-2 from Shell.

Porsche 958 107 222 20 is the correct part number and it does come with a seal. You have to ask for a crush washer if you intend to use the drain plug. Removing the plastic engine cover is easy. The filter is easily assessable from the top, the drain plug is easy to reach from the bottom. Best be careful when adding oil as the lighted blocks on the oil quantity indicator are not calibrated to a specific quantity. The dealer should have a dipstick on hand as a special tool.

Quick Reply: 1st oil change in Cayenne Diesel