Sponsored by:

1st oil change in Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:12 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbit
Porsche specifically exclude the use of an extractor and also specify a 20 minute dripping time.

This also applies to Oil Change (with filter) and concurs with my own opinion.
I'm not sure where that doc came from, but Porsche dealers use the extraction method and (at least for the diesel) the PIWIS docs include the procedure for both draining and extraction.

I'm old school and prefer using the drain plug though.

Edit: Added screen shot from "WM 170117 Changing engine oil and oil filter on diesel engines"
Attached Images  

Last edited by gnat; 09-14-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:37 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

All thing equal -- draining is probably better, but it's much more labor intensive -- removing the bottom panels, and can be a big mess if the drain pan is not positioned optimally when the plug is removed. Since the CD oil filter is on top, it's a perfect candidate for extraction. And if that's what the Porsche Dealer does, it's good enough for me.

Previously, some here have suggested that you request your dealer not to use extraction, and to drain via the plug. You may get a nod or two, but chances are, in the back, while you are eating your free donut, the extraction machine is working overtime on your 'C'.

On my 2012CV6 I also use extraction, even though I use ramps, remove the bottom panels to get to the oil filter, because the drain plug on that engine doesn't go straight down, it's horizontal, and my concern is that the oil could overshoot the drain pan, and create a big mess.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:01 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

No insult philg3 but I have to say I laugh when people say if it's good enough for the manufacturer it's good enough for me. Pertains to many things including OEM parts, oil used, etc....
I have both a new CD, '06 CTTS, '74 911 Carrera, 951, so I feel that I've been dealing with Porsche and manufacturers for a while. I don't hear people saying that the OEM coolant pipes (Plastic on the 955 & 957 are good enough for me, how about the wonderful driveshaft center support bearings, PCM and MOST issues. As far as the 911 and 951 I could go on a tirade of things that Porsche could have done better, but yes, with all of these faults I'm still a Porsche, and Audi fan for life.
P.S. I do have a shop with a lift so I do use the drain plug, and I do soak a bit of oil into the OEM filter before install, it will soak up a lot of oil and when I was a kid a top NHRA engine builder said that it was one of the most overlooked things you can possible do on an oil change/replacement that causes a lot of engine wear.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:16 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I'm not sure where that doc came from, but Porsche dealers use the extraction method and (at least for the diesel) the PIWIS docs include the procedure for both draining and extraction.

I'm old school and prefer using the drain plug though.

Edit: Added screen shot from "WM 170117 Changing engine oil and oil filter on diesel engines"
In respect of this, the document I extracted from was for the 9PA, so I would presume that the sump pan for the diesel has been designed with extraction in mind with the lowest point being the point where the extractor sucks from. If not designed in this manner I would certainly not use one.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:50 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
No insult philg3 but I have to say I laugh when people say if it's good enough for the manufacturer it's good enough for me. Pertains to many things including OEM parts, oil used, etc....
I have both a new CD, '06 CTTS, '74 911 Carrera, 951, so I feel that I've been dealing with Porsche and manufacturers for a while. I don't hear people saying that the OEM coolant pipes (Plastic on the 955 & 957 are good enough for me, how about the wonderful driveshaft center support bearings, PCM and MOST issues. As far as the 911 and 951 I could go on a tirade of things that Porsche could have done better, but yes, with all of these faults I'm still a Porsche, and Audi fan for life.
Really funny stuff -- glad you had a good laugh, but you took what I wrote out of context. The topic was oil change procedure prescribed by Porsche for the CD.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:14 PM
abatis
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

With the oil filter on top like the CD it seems like a extractor is really the intention. Today I changed the oil in one of my farm tractors. Double plugs on bottom of the engine. A barbaric experience compared to extraction.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:22 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps the dealer extractors are more robust???
Old 09-15-2013, 06:31 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Perhaps the dealer extractors are more robust???
Both of the above extracts are from Porsche maintenance advisories, but for different engines.

Below is a quote from a thread on Bob is the Oil Guy, which demonstrates why you need to be careful when selecting the extraction method.

On my Jag V12, draining the oil gets about 10 qts out; the extractor can pull out 11. On the new Xj8, the extractor can get 6 qts which should be all that is in the sump - I haven't tried to drain this one yet. On my old AJ6 powered Jags, I can drain about 8 qts, but the extractor can only get about 5. On the GTO, the pan must be baffled, as I can drain 6 qts, but the extractor can only get about 1.5 qts out.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:37 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcbit
Both of the above extracts are from Porsche maintenance advisories, but for different engines.
On the 2012CV6, after using extraction, I refilled with the same amount as stated in the manual as capacity. It has an extraction tube with no dip stick -- just like the CD.

Never used extraction on 2004CT, as there are two sumps / drain plugs. Viability of extraction method is definitely engine dependent.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:50 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1000 plus miles 14 Diesel garaged. Swear from time to time I'm spelling diesel fuel? Am, I psychotic?!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by billyg
1000 plus miles 14 Diesel garaged. Swear from time to time I'm spelling diesel fuel? Am, I psychotic?!
Probably not. Because it's less refined it tends to hang around longer than gas will. If it's just a light and intermittent smell I'd guess that you spilled a bit when filling up. If it's more substantial I'd try to localize where it is strongest to give you a better idea of what might be involved.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billyg
I'm inclined to think fuel spill too, or possibly a loose/defective fuel filler cap. But consider also that there might be an unsealed container of something in the garage that smells like diesel fuel.

Occasionally, my wife says "I smell diesel". Having owned/operated/maintained 5 diesel autos and 6 diesel tractors, I know the smell. Given also that she's a smoker, I think it's reasonable to conclude that - if it was diesel fuel - I'd detect it first. My guess in both your case and mine - is that there's either an open container or a spill of some kind inside the garage which is mistakenly being associated with the car itself. But just to be on the safe side, check the filler cap - and look for new stains on the floor.

//greg//

Quick Reply: 1st oil change in Cayenne Diesel