Oil leakage question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 PM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil leakage question?

Hey guys,

Today I went under my 2005 CTT (87K mi))and removed the covers to check out on things. I open the bottom coverage and I saw puddle of oil covered the tummy of the oil pan and the drainage bolt area. I also notice the oil is seeping from ways up from the oil pan unit. It's a pretty messy oil puddle behind the plastic covers. Has anyone experience this? Those with warranty and extended warranty...do your warranties cover oil leak like this?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driver's side, right?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen cracked drain plugs leak on a few occasions. See if you can get a clear look at both the front and rear drain plugs. If the oil's coming from further up than the rear drain plug, I can't help you.
If it's leaking on the driver's side, just forward of the engine, it's usually the driver's side intercooler pipe.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 PM
bansasn
Racer

First of all thank you for the replies.
Yes driver side and a little bit of oil is comining from a little up further. I don't see the rear drain plug. Just the front drain plug and the transmission drain that looks similar to the front draing plug. Most of the oil are around the front draing plug area. Intercooler pipe...is this mean more bad news? I have an extended warranty. Will it cover this kind of problem?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

There is a TSB relating to "Pressure hose between Turbocharger for Cylinders 5-8 and charger Cooler". Complaint related to "Oil Leaks". The TSB is 1/06 2130 and is specific obviously to the Turbo's.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:12 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said. Turbos get doused with oil in the front driver's quarter panel. I printed the TSB a while back, hoping to get to it soon.

Some guy somewhere did a nicer variation of this fix, with a catch-can install. Might have been on Six Speed...
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 PM
bansasn
Racer

Oh man...I hope my extended warranty covers this! Thanks for the info everyone. Will be taking the pig to the dealer next week. Will keep you posted once the dealer open her up.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

It is not a serious problem if you drive it for a while and not going to hurt your Pig if it is the Turbo pressure pipe leaking oil but it always could be something else up there.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 AM
bansasn
Racer

Ok this is what the Dealer reported. They found oil dripping from bank 2 valve cover highest point. To fix the problem you have to replace bank 2 oil seperator/valve cover updated part with gaskets. They also found oil leaking from upper seal for driver's turbo pressure pipe. They recommend to replace upper O-ring seal for driver's turbo pressure pipe. My extended warranty will not cover for the issues. Before I take it to my Indy Porsche mechanic I would like tackle this on my own. Anyone here fix this problem on there own? If so how difficult is it? Many thanks.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Is that the Pressure pipe seal that is mentioned in the TSB? If so I would think you could or would get some kind of discount on the replacement since Porsche obviously acknowledges they have a design problem.

Quick Reply: Oil leakage question?