Baby Seat & Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 PM
aznntowl2
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby Seat & Cayenne

Hi All,

I just bought a 2013 Cayenne Diesel, and we are expecting our first baby boy in NOV, and now need to get ready for the kid, so i have a few questions for you fathers and mothers out there.... so it seems like most new born, it is better to put the child facing backwards in the MIDDLE seat, but from the owners manual, Porsche suggest left or right seat only?? and second is I do not want to scratch up the car or put indentations on the new seat, is there a special product that goes in between?? Thanks all, btw love the diesel so far, my first porsche that gets actual MPG as the rating

BTW Our car seat is the Orbit Baby G2 if that matters.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used something like this (not necessarily this exact one). Otherwise the hard plastic ridges on the bottom of many baby seats will damage your leather. Also nicely catches your babies mess, from dirtying the seats.

Amazon Amazon

Middle vs Sides ... I think middle is slightly safer in a horrendous accident, where the sides may collapse in. But it is also much easier putting your child in the side (while you are outside) than climbing into the middle every time.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

We have the Orbit system and just moved to the forward facing seat config last week. I didn't like the price, but I was really happy with how the infant seat worked (once you go forward you miss the rotating base quick). The biggest annoyance to me is that when you move from the infant seat to the stroller seat on the stroller, to change the angle of the seat you have to take it off the stroller which isn't exactly practical when they've already fallen asleep.

Other than test driving with the infant seat and base I can't speak to the Cayenne as mine comes next month.

What I can say, however, is that as long as you are using the infant base (possible until you face them forward) I wouldn't worry too much about imprinting the seat. We saw a bit in the BMW, but it would go away after the base was out for a day or so even if it had been there for a few months straight. I think that is partially due to the base not weighing much and I am a bit more concerned about the toddler seat since it stays in the car and you need to get it in there good.

We just use a wool pad between it and the seat to catch spills and keep the leather from being rubbed by the plastic. It's worked fine so far, but its liquid repellent nature hasn't been tested yet.

As far as location, I believe it is standard for all mfgs to tell you to use one side or the other. We've been putting him on the passenger side so far due to how the seat folding is split in the current cars, but plan to put him behind the driver on long trips in the Cayenne so the passenger can interact easier when needed.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 AM
aznntowl2
AutoX

Steve, thanks for the suggestion, I am leaning towards that too, seems like the only good product.

Gnat, the ring thing on the G2 got me, and how easy to install and turns so i'm looking forward to using it, i guess i'll just do the side seat install for now, which cayenne did you order?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:32 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

i put a towel under the seat base. protected the leather and caught crumbs to the side and in the front. pretty...no, but a cheap and easy solution that didn't look that bad.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aznntowl2
Gnat, the ring thing on the G2 got me, and how easy to install and turns so i'm looking forward to using it, i guess i'll just do the side seat install for now, which cayenne did you order?
Yeah I've had plenty of parents be amazed at how easy it was to get the seat in and out (and they had no idea how easy moving that base is!). It definitely made life easy and I already miss it and its only been a week

I ordered a Diesel and got my VIN yesterday.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 AM
VIPNiSS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for some reason when I read your post I thought you said "you need to get rid of this kid" LOL too early
Old 10-11-2012, 12:49 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph O'Reilly
i put a towel under the seat base. protected the leather and caught crumbs to the side and in the front. pretty...no, but a cheap and easy solution that didn't look that bad.
A few of my customers have done this and it seems to work well.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

They only thing to watch with a normal towel is when it gets wet. A towel will hold moisture against your leather which is bad. If you don't want to use a plastic or rubber product, wool naturally repels liquid (it will soak through if you leave it though).

We actually use wool pants (cloth diapers) and pads for the beds rather than plastic options and they've all worked really well so far (I was really skeptical going in).
Old 10-11-2012, 02:40 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wool deserves a lot more respect than it gets. I used to think synthetic fleece was the best choice for the elements but now I vastly prefer wool. Not all wool is itchy. Wool works great for repelling water as long as you dont let it marinate all day.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:40 AM
mchi55
Advanced

Originally Posted by aznntowl2
Hi All,

I just bought a 2013 Cayenne Diesel, and we are expecting our first baby boy in NOV, and now need to get ready for the kid, so i have a few questions for you fathers and mothers out there.... so it seems like most new born, it is better to put the child facing backwards in the MIDDLE seat, but from the owners manual, Porsche suggest left or right seat only?? and second is I do not want to scratch up the car or put indentations on the new seat, is there a special product that goes in between?? Thanks all, btw love the diesel so far, my first porsche that gets actual MPG as the rating

BTW Our car seat is the Orbit Baby G2 if that matters.
Congrats on your upcoming baby!

I have two toddler seats in the back of my Cayenne and have a black protective covering for the rear bench. It basically covers the entire rear bench and the child seats goes on top of that. That way all the leather is fully protected. It is easily removable and machine washable too. My 2 and 3 year olds love to make a mess back there but now their mess stays off the actual seats!

If I can find a link I will post it here.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:48 AM
mchi55
Advanced

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...oductId=538157

Here is what I'm talking about. Inexpensive and works very well.

Hope this helps
2008 Jeep Wrangler X
Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Hal 2000
Instructor

I put one of the rear Porsche winter floor mats under the seat. Since My drivers seat is all the way back, and the baby seat is behind me, I don't need the winter mat there. My child seat is a Recaro and looks great.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem I have with putting my daughter on the sides is she gets car sick. The high headrest of the front seat doesn't allow her to see where we are going. She isn't a baby anymore and I have her in the middle. I have the tiedowns from the top of the britax going into the trunk for extra tethering. So her car seat is secured in four places. Having her in the middle stopped the car sickness. To protect the seat I use an old yoga mat cut approx to size.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:51 AM
awesome
1st Gear

Default Best position of an infant car seat

Though your car's manufacturer recommends installing the infant seat on either the left or right the middle is the safest spot because it is farthest from direct impact in the case where the impact originates from the side like in the case where the car rolls over. http://carseatonline.net/the-best-in...yfit-30-review recommends that among the most important factor to consider is the effectiveness of your infant car seat because an infant seat installed incorrectly would negate most of the protective aspects of the car seat

Last edited by awesome; 11-10-2012 at 04:00 AM. Reason: I had given the wrong link

Quick Reply: Baby Seat & Cayenne