Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep us all up to date...thank you

FP
Old 05-20-2013, 08:11 PM
obliviousmonkey
1st Gear

wondering if there was any resolution to this problem?
thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 03:45 PM
lpcol1971
1st Gear

Default Grinding noise after 20mph

Seems I have a similar problem. Cayenne with 105,000 miles on it starts to make a groaning noise from front end when warm and speed above 20 mph. I have changed the fluids on both diffs and transfer case with no change in the groaning noise. Placed car in Neutral at around 25 mph and noise still apparent. Drive at 80 mph and it drives as it should with no noise..... Really weird. I'm now thinking a wheel bearing is failing. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:53 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Im getting the same thing on mine, has anyone had a resolution to this?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:40 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your power steering fluid. I had some start-up noise that went away after topping up with
mineral oil mineral oil
Old 05-25-2014, 08:28 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

That was a good suggestion, one I hadnt thought of, thank you. So I did just go out and check it and its at max.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:54 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a noise that was hard to figure out but it's the engine torque damper.. The bushing has worn where it attaches from the engine to passenger side chassis. At various revs it will vibrate and make a ruckus. I'm not saying this is your problem but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from for a while.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:56 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Is that a fancy porsche name for motor mount? It actually sounds like it could be exactly like that! when Im on the gas, I hear it. When Im completely off the gas i hear it. but I could modulate the gas somewhere in between and make it completely go away. do you have a picture or diagram of where it is? Or even a part number so I can see what it looks like? From that i can check mine.
bob
Old 05-25-2014, 09:04 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a metal "brace" arm that mounts to the top of the engine to the passenger side roughly above the tire fender. You can see it when you pop the hood. You have to remove the plastic bits to really get to it all the way though. I believe all one needs is a torque wrench to DIY. I could just shake mine by hand to be able to tell I had "figured it out". Still haven't gotten around to replacing it... For some reason just knowing what it made me feel a little better.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:05 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Thats the thing, I dont know what mine is and its my wife/daughters car. I really dont want to take any chances. thank you for this tip, first thing tomorrow Im going to check it out. Ill report back!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:36 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Its a metal "brace" arm that mounts to the top of the engine to the passenger side roughly above the tire fender. You can see it when you pop the hood. You have to remove the plastic bits to really get to it all the way though. I believe all one needs is a torque wrench to DIY. I could just shake mine by hand to be able to tell I had "figured it out". Still haven't gotten around to replacing it... For some reason just knowing what it made me feel a little better.
It's also known as the Torque Arm.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Thanks Guys. it seemed easy enough so I ran outside in the last few minutes of the dwindling light and disconnected it. That was easy enough to do. Sadly it made no difference.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Heres an update on my front end noise... its definitely the front diff. That being said Im selling it. Its actually not that expensive or difficult to do, I just dont want to. Had enough. Funny how I can put on 175,000 miles on my infiniti G37XS and not have even the slightest thing go wrong, yet less miles on the cayenne and its constant bull****. Im so done. Time to move on and I wont be heading to any German car dealers in the near or probably far future.
Thanks for all your years of advice and help everyone. I must be moving on.
Bob
Old 06-27-2014, 05:56 PM
mr2sc
Intermediate

Infinity, eh? Well, ironically, I couldn't wait to get rid of my Nissan Pathfinder! Ownership involved many letters to Nissan (incl Pres Carlos Ghosen). Yes, that's how bad it was and difficult getting them to fix relatively low mileage, but just out of warranty defects. Comparatively, my 09 Cayenne S has been a reliable breathe of fresh air.
The Nissan was plagued by fuel gauge sender issues (left me stranded twice), coolant lines to rear heater disintegrating and pissing coolant out at 40000miles, just out of warranty caused by dissimilar metal reaction, yearly replacement of U-joints, radiator defect with tranny cooler leaking coolant into tranny (causing $8k rebuild)...all just out of warranty and costing many thousands. I can go on and on...
I will never touch another Nissan (Infinity) product. Not so much because it was a POS, but also because of how they as a company dealt with the known issues and blew me off.
Originally Posted by mxquattro
Heres an update on my front end noise... its definitely the front diff. That being said Im selling it. Its actually not that expensive or difficult to do, I just dont want to. Had enough. Funny how I can put on 175,000 miles on my infiniti G37XS and not have even the slightest thing go wrong, yet less miles on the cayenne and its constant bull****. Im so done. Time to move on and I wont be heading to any German car dealers in the near or probably far future.
Thanks for all your years of advice and help everyone. I must be moving on.
Bob
Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Wow sorry to hear that about the nissan!! Mine has been as reliable as gravity. Yet my cayenne had coil packs, coolant tubes, cardan shaft (twice), bearings, etc etc etc. I can go on too!

Quick Reply: Strange Noise from the Front