Sponsored by:

Air suspension fault - front left level sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 04:24 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air suspension fault - front left level sensor

For the last 3 or 4 weeks, I've had an air suspension fault showing. Durametric says it's front left level sensor. Initially, it was intermittent - it would probably come on each day but generally not on the way to work in the morning - but almost immediately when I left work. Almost seemed temperature related, since it was warmer in the afternoons. In the last week, it's been permanent.

I replaced the sensor (although getting the old one out was stubborn, so I disconnected at the level pivot furthest from the sensor itself and just replaced the sensor part). This made no difference - same fault is still logged and can't be cleared with Durametric.

I've checked the connector and the wiring up to where it disappears in the wing and can find no problems. It looks like the wires have a rubber surround around them as they disappear into the connector - to keep dirt out I guess - so I can't see if the wires are properly attached to the connector. But none of them are loose and they seem firmly attached.

One other odd thing - I tried reading all 4 level sensor outputs with Durametric and didn't seem to get anything out of any of them even though only one has logged a fault.

I know that the height has to be re-calibrated when a new level sensor is fitted, but I don't expect that to cause the same fault to remain.

I assume it is a wiring fault of some description, but once the wiring disappears up into the wing I have no idea what to check.

Any ideas? Anybody else solved a similar problem?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Model and year.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:08 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Cayenne S, 2003.

The actual fault is :

Vehicle level sensor front left - Electrical fault, test conditions are not-completed, fault is not currently active and is not causing a DTC light

Last edited by DaveK; 06-26-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:49 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

The level control unit lives in the rear right side of your trunk, access through the pull out panel.

Try reseating the connector on the control unit. (Pull fuses first).

Carry out a re-calibration of the control unit.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:58 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Excellent, thanks - I'll try that.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:12 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Is the control unit the silver module - with two large electrical connectors plugged into it? That's the only thing I can see behind the access panel.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:37 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Yes.

Quick Reply: Air suspension fault - front left level sensor