2013 Range Rover instead of Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
^^wow damn if you really use the suv like that and want all the lux then go for the range! Or get a ford raptor...haha.
Drove the Raptor. Didn't like anything about it. And read some horror stories of people bending its back. Cabin is maybe appealing to kids (old and young.)

I think the Rangie was the clear winner when it had a solid frame, but now it's a monocoque and 7700lb hitch with probably 600lb, so it's probably not wise to use it for pulling 100 foot redwoods down the property ... : )
Old 10-01-2012, 04:56 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

FFRR = Full Fat Range Rover. From the British boards to distinguish the full-size from the Sport.

Oddly, the Sport now weighs substantially more than its larger staplemate. The new Sport due in 2014/15, and is also due for a substancial weight reduction and maybe even a third-row (oddly). The LR4 is suppossed to become more rugged and closer to the Defender - leather-clad British tractor.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:14 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Drove the Raptor. Didn't like anything about it. And read some horror stories of people bending its back. Cabin is maybe appealing to kids (old and young.)

I think the Rangie was the clear winner when it had a solid frame, but now it's a monocoque and 7700lb hitch with probably 600lb, so it's probably not wise to use it for pulling 100 foot redwoods down the property ... : )
Ya, I heard some stories about that too but I thought most of those guys were jumping the trucks pretty aggressively. Either way, sounds like there isnt another choice for you than the new RR.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Ya, I heard some stories about that too but I thought most of those guys were jumping the trucks pretty aggressively. Either way, sounds like there isnt another choice for you than the new RR.
Perhaps so. Still, my "devotion" to Porsche leaves the door open. The new Cayenne S Diesel might be the alternative. Hearing that engine in the VW/Audi "5" sized vehicle makes me think it would be a fun all-rounder.

The GL really is ahead of the others in terms of spec, equipment, price and even availability since the Porsche is ways off and the 2013 Rangie isn't at the dealers until near year-end. I try to set aside the instant gratification factor, but the issue of moving from lease to lease makes the logistics and the accessory costs all add up to another GL. The opposing viewpoint is that I dislike buying the same car more than once (though I've had four GT3's, but that's an entirely unrelated obsession, I assure you all ...) and we've had two 2010 GL Bluetec's ... it's really been an unequalled vehicle for our needs. The 2013 GL is even better, except for what I think is awkward, ungainly exterior design. It also offers low-range in the transfer case again (discontinued for lack of interest in the first GL's in the US market, now I think it's back as a matter of engineering priorities.)

I'll probably wait for the Rangie to arrive as a demo car, maybe order one to spec, on "spec" so to speak and see which of the three appeals, but I doubt I'll draw this out beyond October -- I reserve that kind of procrastination for sports cars, after all, this is "only" an SUV ... : )
Old 10-01-2012, 06:48 PM
aznntowl2
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have any experience with the RR, but I just sold my 1 month old LR Evoque, what a POS.... First time i used the wipers, the wipers went 1 inch too far, and was hitting the side of the molding, the car would vibrate going up a TINY uphill, wind noise from drivers window, occasional turbo lag, so making pulling into traffic really fun!.... and then there was the gearing issue.. when you come to a stop, right before you stop say 5mph, the car appears its downshifting and make it not very smooth... so after only 1k miles, I had to give it up, and then there was QC issues.... and touchscreen and navigation 1sec delay... man... should i go on... SO Glad I am out of that car, its like a HOT girlfriend but with a bitchy attitude
Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Carrera GT,both your name and the Pcars you have owned leave no doubt as to your devotion to Porsche...you are thus well aware that very few carmakers,if any..make going very fast so ridiculously easy and safe at the same time
That is the beauty of the 958 turbo:it's elegant and streamlined with only a discretely sporty presence that belies just how fast it really is
The RR is probably a more competent offroader...but the CT is most likely much quicker, nimble and "more ahead" on the road::which is why I consider it more like a sports car than a suv(especially with the goodies available to enhance it )
My impression is that your heart is leaning towards the RR,so I say:go with it-perhaps you could get a good deal on a demo one...
Nevertheless,have you considered the CT?
I enjoy mine more and more every day and-having decided to only have one car-am confident and pleased to have made the right choice:which is what I wish upon everyone
Old 10-02-2012, 04:26 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like you don't think too highly of either SUV, I say buy a Ford or Toyota.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Originally Posted by Galion
Seriously? While it looks superb and may be a luxurious iconic vehicule, I think the last generation RR drove like a Ford. Hope they improve it under the new TATA managment but I hardly doubt it.
IMO the german engineering in the Cayenne is in a different league, it just feels and drives right.
That's funny, seeing as how it was conceived under BMW. Don't be so biased- it drives like the extremely capable 4x4 that it is. It's not supposed to be a sports SUV. The Cayenne is basically a slightly lifted sports wagon at this point, and all the better for it, IMO.

Originally Posted by Yukio&958
New RR looks like 2012 ford explorer
Not even in the slightest in person. Just wait until you see the 2013- it's actually quite evolutionary in styling and unmistakably Range Rover.

Originally Posted by 997CS4
Apples and oranges: RR is an (unreliable truck) an Cayenne is a SPORT utility vehicle. 2013 RR certainly looks plush and comfy but IMO they are still years behind in efficiency, reliability and handling.
Agreed on the apples to oranges part. Think of the Range Rover as a Mercedes S-class in SUV form, not a sports sedan in SUV form like the Cayenne. With this new model, they're not years behind in anything. It shed weight just like the Cayenne, has new engine tech, and handles well for its purpose. Just like an S-class, it's not going to be out-handling a sports sedan any time soon.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:34 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
That's funny, seeing as how it was conceived under BMW. Don't be so biased- it drives like the extremely capable 4x4 that it is. It's not supposed to be a sports SUV. The Cayenne is basically a slightly lifted sports wagon at this point, and all the better for it, IMO.

Not even in the slightest in person. Just wait until you see the 2013- it's actually quite evolutionary in styling and unmistakably Range Rover.

Agreed on the apples to oranges part. Think of the Range Rover as a Mercedes S-class in SUV form, not a sports sedan in SUV form like the Cayenne. With this new model, they're not years behind in anything. It shed weight just like the Cayenne, has new engine tech, and handles well for its purpose. Just like an S-class, it's not going to be out-handling a sports sedan any time soon.
+1..simply and accurately answered
Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Hal 2000
Instructor

++1
Awesome answer.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 AM
PN Cal
Intermediate

Interestingly, Europe already will offer the V6 Diesel, only slightly above the Cayenne´s mpg and even much better than the lighter RR Sport. However, I assume that RR will not bring it to the US. So if you decide on high mpg, you might want to go with Audi, VW, Porsche or Mercedes. If you don´t care then as already mentioned earlier, it depends on what style you want. I would not call the Cayenne non-luxory, but the RR is truly more the "british" car. Before driving the 2013 RR I would not judge a comparison against the Cayenne, however after driving my Diesel for five weeks, I can only say that it is the perfect SUV for my purposes. Even my wife who was always scared to drive a larger car, loves it and says it feels like driving a much smaller car with such an excellent steering and power at low rpm. I can only recommend.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Mugatu
Track Day

I've never been in a RR but I imagine the ride is quite a bit more comfortable than a 958. Can anyone who's owned both talk a bit about ride quality?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I can compare a 2008 & 2010 FFRR vs a GTS. The 2008 w/ 19" wheels is very comfortable with seemingly endless suspension travel never harsh. The 2010 w/ 20" wheels is similar but slightily firmer with more control and better steering. The GTS on full soft and extended height is almost as comfortable, more controled than either FFRR, but still firmer in dampening. It also handles better even in full soft - PDCC? I was really surprised how nice the ride of the GTS is offroad, and with the PDCC it even has decent wheel articulation. The offroad ride of the FFRR is crazy good.

FWIW - the ride of my RRS S\C is very firm - even harsh, and is always bottoming-out into the bumpstops on potholes and freeway expansion joints. Offroad is equally busy and harsh. I blame the bushings and firmer dampening. The GTS is much better, even with 21" wheels.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reckon the Cayenne interior is better finished than the RR. My wife also much preffered the Cayenne, she personally liked the closeness of the central tunnel, seats were better (she is pretty short & the RR seat dug into the back of her legs).

I read about the RR being a S class or Bently SUV, but that's crap, the Cayenne rode better.
I expect /hope the 2013 RR sorts that out.

I don't doubt the RR off road ability, buts it's irrelevant to how we use our car and we will get by with out the slightly more space in the RR . At least I will be able to reach the roof on the Cayenne to attach the MTBs.

And we Aussies are always crying in our soup at how expensive our cars are!! Just ignore our little tantrums
Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had some drinks and dinner with an Aussie petrol head the other night, naturally conversations quickly went from business to cars. When he asked me what I drive, he looked at me like I was some kind of Billionaire. When I proved to him what my cars cost locally on my cell phone browser, well ... he seemed very interested in moving here!

Quick Reply: 2013 Range Rover instead of Cayenne?