Sponsored by:

Pano Roof Thermal Heat Transfer Feedback Request

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 09:03 PM
ikegram
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pano Roof Thermal Heat Transfer Feedback Request

I'm contemplating adding a Pano roof to my CD build but would would like to hear from members who have this option and your experience from a heat insulation perspective. Specifically, I had driven a VW Toureg with this option during a summers day here in Charlotte and could feel the heat from the sun on the top of my head. While the rest of my body was relatively cool, the contrast of coolness from the neck down while my head got relatively warm after a 45 minute test drive was a new experience. Any feedback regarding your experiences with the Porsche Pano roof for those in sunnier climates would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have been driving with one since Feb of last year. Can't really say that I've ever noticed feeling the heat the way you're describing it. I'm in NY and spring through fall can be pretty hot.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the pano roof option on my 2013 CTT. Would not even consider a moon roof if pano available. Can always use the sunshade which auto slides out and overs entire pano from any direct sun
Old 09-09-2012, 11:06 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got back from the Porsche World Roadshow, 101 degrees in Fontana, CA. I was amazed that the pano roof cayenne I sat in was actually cooler than the Cayman R sitting next to it. I think whatever treatment they are using now, is far better than it used to be.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the pano roof in my 2011 Cayenne but didnt consider it in my 2013 GTS build.
I could definetely feel the heat in my head during hot summer days, I ended up tinting the whole thing with a very dark film, it got better, but ruined the experience.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 AM
digitaljok
Advanced

The pano roof in my 09 Cayenne is tinted with about a 40% metallic film and the heat rejection is good enough that I don't feel anything when the shade is closed even on the hottest days here in So Cal.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 AM
ikegram
Track Day

Based upon some of the responses posted thus far, its ironic that one of the reasons I was thinking of ordering the Pano roof is to 'lighten up' my all black interior. However if I need to add additional tinting to cut down on the amount of thermal heat transfer which will darken up the amount of light the Pano roof offers, that solution seems to defeat the benefit of the Pano roof.

Any one else had similar experiences? I need to decide fairly quickly my list of options...thx
Old 09-10-2012, 09:59 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Pano roof on my '12 CS. It is great. No heat issues and it definitely lightens up the interior. There is a built in, sun screen if you want more shade, but I've never felt the need to use it.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Cowboys5
Instructor

I just took delivery of my '13 CD 4 weeks ago, and for what it's worth, not getting the Pano roof is one of my very few regrets. I decided against it because I had concerns with rattle, long term structural integrity etc. I also have a black interior and I would now get it because it lightens up the inside when the sun is shining - very nice feeling. I find the regular moonroof is just too small for the size of the vehicle. Just my experience, but I'd get the Pano if I had a do-over.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^

This. I'm in a pano roofless, black interior loaner past week and it's depressing after being used to having the sky going with you for a ride. Rain or shine
Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 Cayenne with the Pano roof, and it is heavily tinted from the factory. I never felt my head getting baked, and never felt the need to even close the shade. I don't exactly live in the hottest country on earth, but have driven in hot days, and the AC had no issue keeping pace with the top.

Before ordering my 2013, I test drove a used 2011 with Pano, and I heard a few rattles over bad roads. It almost turned me off the Pano option, but I decided to get it anyways (from reviews on various forums I recall 90% of the people saying it was dead quite, and around 10% complaining about rattles that were resolved). Mine was pretty solid sounding when new, but now after almost 2 months there is a slight rattle over bad roads. In trying to figure out where it is, if I pound on the pano glass it sounds solid. If I pound on the material ceiling behind the pano, I hear the rattle ... so probably not the pano itself but something in between which may or may not be related to the pano or sunshade mechanism. Nothing too bothersome, but something to mention at the next service if it does not disappear by then.

On the "view" itself, I loved it right off the bat, and like PopsEnigma says, depressing going into a car without it now. It totally lights up my black interior ... I would definitely order it again.

Quick Reply: Pano Roof Thermal Heat Transfer Feedback Request