Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Cayenne Diesel - what options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012 | 05:34 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Default 2013 Cayenne Diesel - what options?

I'm looking at the 2013 diesels for two functions - 1) normal SUV duties and a DD and 2) towing my 997-2 with a trailer for the track.

I really like the torque rating and also the TDI engine so I'm heading that way versus S, GTS, Hybrid, or TT. I'd like it to be comfortable and nice enough as a DD but no need to go over the top. I'd also like to make sure I can get it optioned to handle the full 7700 lbs towing rating. In that line of thought, what do folks think about the following options:

1. wheel size -- 18" v. 19" v. 20" v. 21" -- i"m leaning toward 19"
2. partial leather seats & leather interior -- overkill? But it looks nice ...
3. PASM -- again not a sports car but maybe it is helpful for the towing???
4. Air suspension w PASM -- helpful with towing or just an extra expense?
5. Off road underbody protection -- seems like cheap protection if you ever need it.
6. PCCB -- could be useful but again an expensive option that may not really be needed since I'd get an electric brake controller installed for the trailer.

As always, appreciate the wide range of views and feel free to offer other thoughts/critiques as well.
Old 08-14-2012 | 06:52 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Wheel size and that is just personal preferences. My opinion is I dont care for the ride of most of the big oversized and no sidewalled tires. They sure arent good off paved roads at all. 19's work .

Of course I have a truck and a 951 handy too.

If you have air suspension then PASM makes sense as does PTV.

To me, if you dont get all 3 then none of it makes sense to pay to add. You arent likely to go and track a Cayenne, much less one with diesel. You have the 997 for that kind of work and fun.

I am not going to, and my wife isnt going to push one on road enough to see any real difference.

Be double sure you get it with the factory installed tow set up for only $600 as ordered. It is about $5000 for the dealer to do the install on the new Cayenne.

Add the premium package plus and the keyless entry etc. Enjoy.

Others results may vary by what they use it for.

My 0.02 .
Old 08-14-2012 | 07:39 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Personally i would either get 18's or 20's because there are the most tire options. 18's if you value being able to go over some rougher terrain without worry... or 20's for better highspeed/onroad performance. I also think air suspension is a must.
Old 08-14-2012 | 08:48 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

TexasRider - thanks for the thoughts and good point. This will not be a track vehicle so normal ride and towing are the goals. I agree about the premium package plus ... got that one as a given. Also agree about factory installed tow package. Didn't realize the price uplift as aftermarket.

Endless_corners - good points on tire size. I'll rethink my 19" and could save some $$$ with the 18's.
Old 08-14-2012 | 09:55 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Picking up my diesel this Thursday (just got the call!). I basically went with 19" wheels and the premium plus package. A couple of other small options but no performance options. Mine will be a dd and kid taxi on weekends so no real need. In fact, I was considering PASM, but my excellent sales guy talked me out of it. I'll do a more detailed review of the diesel once I've had it a week or so. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2012 | 01:21 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

stronbl

We have the Air suspension and PASM - am very happy I have them for street and for the times I have had to leave the road (not very challenging stuff.)

The 14 way seats with ventilation are excellent!

The 18"s are great through 46,000 km and one full season (you won't be getting any snow, will you?)

No knowledge of towing - but check out some of the other threads, lots of good info in this forum!

Get Euro Delivery if you can - best delivery experience ever

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2012 | 04:04 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

You will find numerous and endless towing thread on clubtouareg (on their towing forum). This includes diesels, on essentially very similar vehicles for towing (i.e. chassis, engines, suspension options, and capacity). Even some Cayenne towing discussions there!
Old 08-15-2012 | 05:25 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Cool

Thanks for all the comments and info. I'll check out the other forums too.

But in the meantime, does anyone have any first hand experience with air suspension and PASM (in combination) while towing. In particular I'm interested to know if it helps stabilize in poor conditions and if it will help keep the vehicle on a level track (no headlights shooting to the sky). If it really has little to no advantage while towing then I won't consider it and save some money.
Old 08-15-2012 | 05:34 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

If its about saving money why not buy a touareg diesel? Isn't a big part of owning a porsche about how it feels to drive? That's where the value is with the air and psm.
Old 08-15-2012 | 10:26 PM
dddd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stronbl
I'm looking at the 2013 diesels for two functions - 1) normal SUV duties and a DD and 2) towing my 997-2 with a trailer for the track.

I really like the torque rating and also the TDI engine so I'm heading that way versus S, GTS, Hybrid, or TT. I'd like it to be comfortable and nice enough as a DD but no need to go over the top. I'd also like to make sure I can get it optioned to handle the full 7700 lbs towing rating. In that line of thought, what do folks think about the following options:

1. wheel size -- 18" v. 19" v. 20" v. 21" -- i"m leaning toward 19"
2. partial leather seats & leather interior -- overkill? But it looks nice ...
3. PASM -- again not a sports car but maybe it is helpful for the towing???
4. Air suspension w PASM -- helpful with towing or just an extra expense?
5. Off road underbody protection -- seems like cheap protection if you ever need it.
6. PCCB -- could be useful but again an expensive option that may not really be needed since I'd get an electric brake controller installed for the trailer.

As always, appreciate the wide range of views and feel free to offer other thoughts/critiques as well.
I have had good success with a CS towing a +6000 pound boat short distances with PASM/AS. I would not order a Cayenne without PASM/AS JMHO. For towing besides the hitch and roof rails (factory roof rails are required if you ever want to put something on the roof like a box, etc), I would recommend the following:
1. 19 or 20
2. Personal choice (see both if you can, then decide)
3. Pass
4. Yes PASM/AS
5. Pass
6. Pass
Old 08-17-2012 | 01:20 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Originally Posted by Cowboys5
Picking up my diesel this Thursday (just got the call!). I basically went with 19" wheels and the premium plus package. A couple of other small options but no performance options. Mine will be a dd and kid taxi on weekends so no real need. In fact, I was considering PASM, but my excellent sales guy talked me out of it. I'll do a more detailed review of the diesel once I've had it a week or so. Good luck.
Good luck picking up your diesel! I'm waiting for the call from my dealer; they were hoping this week. Not looking good as it is Thursday night...

I also was talked out of PASM. I drove 3 different cars back-to-back on on/off ramps repeatedly. To me, PASM without air is not worth it; I thought the air package is too much for a minor improvement. I want to use the car as a family car for the newborn, so the minor improvement didn't seem worth it. The non-PASM Cayenne handles great as it is!
Old 08-17-2012 | 08:17 AM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Picked up my Diesel last night - Finally (almost 9 month wait)!! I will give it a week or so before writing a more thorough review, as I'm probably in a state of new P-car euphoria, but WoW, I am thrilled with it so far. More later.
Old 08-17-2012 | 09:27 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Congratulations fellow Canadian!

At least give us a mini review until then! Your probably amongst the first North Americans to receive one, and I have not seen a review of the 2013 Diesel on the forums yet!

I was torn to get one, but barring a test drive, and my calculations telling me I would never save back my $5000 back, I went for the V6. Tell me how wrong I was!!!

How is the sound? Any of that sonerous Porsche throaty growl when pushing it? Which 4wd does it come with, I.e. do you have the offroad mode toggle switch to lock diffs?
Old 08-17-2012 | 11:28 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Because of our pending order, and just right timing, my wife was the first customer in Houston to test drive a new diesel from the dealer. They unloaded it and three hours later it rolled from the shop to her test drive.

I cant say about the $5,000, but stateside it is about 3,000 difference to the V6 as you get the auto tranny with the diesel package. She said it picked up nicely and was at least as on par with the Hybrid S we drove before. They wont get me in any hybrid though.

This diesel she had on test did not have the air suspension or PASM but she thought it was fine for her purposes. But she is not a registered enthusiast either.

I have not yet made up my mind about the air and PASM in her car yet. Lets say it depends on how many other cant live without options drop from the computer to the sales invoice. To me the air and PASM go together. The dealer kind of agreed, in that many have other Porsches for the more sporting runs where they are likely to get jailed and pay considerable fines for excessive speed. LOL.

I was not there, as one of our garage doors tension springs snapped in half, and in the process of changing that, there were issues. Then in the middle of that, came the dealer call from 40 miles away, so I sent her over.

I cant say for sure, but I am thinking these dont have the locking differential, or not. Canada could always be different though. Porsche knows it snows up there!
Old 08-17-2012 | 12:26 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Canadian snow? Bah, give me a rear-wheel drive car with good winter tires and I will show you snow!

It is the Ocracoke Outer Banks I am worried about, with some stupid AWD system burying one wheel at a time because it thinks I am on a highway and giving all my power to the wheel with the least traction! Been there, done that, pick-up trucks laughing away while pulling me out, give me locking diff's!

Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne Diesel - what options?