Sponsored by:

Model 2013

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 AM
997CS4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model 2013

Does anyone know if the 2013 model as any (minor) changes/upgrades like the 2012 model did over the 2011 model? Thanks!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, minor changes for NAM:
- Analog clock on dash (nice option, when it works!)
- Door unlock buttons under front interior door handles, as well as old location on console.
- Availability of Diesel ( I hear it is a great engine!)
- As is standard practise, probably some running quality improvements that are not announced.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 AM
997CS4
Instructor

Thanks, no mention of cleaner or less thirsty engines? Or some weightloss like most car brands are announcing these days?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Not for the 2013 model year, but they did add the European diesel for North America (shipping soon) which is less thirsty and seems to make more overall sense than their hybrid. 2014 will be the "facelift" year I believe, I'll start a prediction ... they will replace their antiquated VR6 with their new supercharged Audi V6! You heard it here first folks

They already gifted this combination to their most loyal customers, the Chinese. For kicks, go to the Porsche China site ... hit English somewhere on the bottom of the page. Go build yourself the Chinese V6, and hit specs. Admire how it is a 3.0 liter, more HP, faster off the line, better mid range acceleration, better top speed, and more fuel efficient than the 3.6 V6 the rest off us get. My prediction also includes that they wrangle a few more additional HP out of this engine for 2014 to differentiate between the other VW group offerings. I doubt they will achieve serious further weight-loss on the "facelift", without a major re-engineering. And there is always the soon to be released Macan for that.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Good call steve_Cayenne!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 PM
MadCayenne
Cruisin'

Interesting find, Steve. My initial thoughts: 1. How much to import from China? 2. Could a vehicle imported pass a CA emissions test? 3. How did China get the better specs? 4. Didn't see a manual option, just the tiptronic.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:36 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Very good questions MadCayenne,

My initial answers (recently got back from China):

1) A plated V6 Cayenne in China is almost USD$200K! As I do not have "party connections", I do not know of any way to import them for any kind of cost-effective price that would make sense. Most of that money goes to the "party", not to the Germans as far as I know.

2) Considering that it is the same supercharged V6 engine found in several Audi's, as well as the Cayenne Hybrid (minus the electrics), all of which I believe are CA certified … don't see much of an issue. But see point #1.

3) Conspiracy theory: The largest consumers of the Cayenne, get the best produce.
Politically correct theory: 3.0l or larger engines in China have higher tax rate, since the better supercharged Audi V6 engine is technically 2.99l … win win to give them a better engine.

4) Trust me, I tried to teach manual … how do I remain politically correct here … ok screw it: Chinese are all about showmanship, social status, and gadgets when it comes to their cars, not about driving enthusiasm. A performance car is good for show, actual performance and driving pleasure is secondary, driving enthusiasm is not commonly understood, comfort is important, and options are king! V6 with "Cayenne Turbo" badge would be the way to go, if you know what I mean

Additional commentary:
A visit to China is eye opening. It will give a new perspective to the so called Euro crisis, and you can quickly get a visualization of why Germany is so far ahead economically in the EU, and leaving the other countries in their dust. Get on the road from the airport in a well-to-do Chinese city such as Shanghai or Beijing, and one thing immediately strikes the eye: A traffic jam full of fine German automobiles as far as the eye can see. And I am not talking about the cheap stuff … S-class, 5 series, and A6 counts for a major part of the traffic Audi A6 is insanely popular as it is the car of government officials (society role-models), and are locally produced in joint venture factories. Those laughable Chinese cars, well honestly, I did not see many of them.

With their well over a billion people, with a fair percentage that have suddenly become wealthy, they now represent a true global consumer society. Their tastes are moving ahead of their locally produced goods. They will soon (actually already), be dictating to the rest of the world, the luxury good they expect to be produced for them! I won't even get into their wonderful Allstom/Siemens high speed train network, and Bombardier subways that rival what citizens of those companies home countries get!!!!

Ok, enough ranting, back to Cayenne … Porsche, you have already done the engineering and tooling, and are currently pumping these superior V6 models off of your assembly lines as we speak! Stop hiding them in China, and hand them over to the rest of us!!!

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2012, 01:59 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RESP
Good call steve_Cayenne!

+1.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Been in China for a month in May this year visiting factories and such on work, I 100% agree with Steve_Cayenne about China.

I was talking to one of the wine distributors there and he was saying that Chinese folks care more about fancier names and cost of the wine than the taste of it. Any French wine is very popular... and the distributor periodically has wine tasting events and is trying to make them understand not all great wines come from France.

I also stopped by a Ferrari/Maserati dealer in Shanghai and they were saying that they sell 3 Ferraris every month and all of them are paid by cash. I even got a tour of Shanghai GM assembly plant.

Cheers,
Kalyan

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne

1) A plated V6 Cayenne in China is almost USD$200K! As I do not have "party connections", I do not know of any way to import them for any kind of cost-effective price that would make sense. Most of that money goes to the "party", not to the Germans as far as I know.

2) Considering that it is the same supercharged V6 engine found in several Audi's, as well as the Cayenne Hybrid (minus the electrics), all of which I believe are CA certified … don't see much of an issue. But see point #1.

3) Conspiracy theory: The largest consumers of the Cayenne, get the best produce.
Politically correct theory: 3.0l or larger engines in China have higher tax rate, since the better supercharged Audi V6 engine is technically 2.99l … win win to give them a better engine.

4) Trust me, I tried to teach manual … how do I remain politically correct here … ok screw it: Chinese are all about showmanship, social status, and gadgets when it comes to their cars, not about driving enthusiasm. A performance car is good for show, actual performance and driving pleasure is secondary, driving enthusiasm is not commonly understood, comfort is important, and options are king! V6 with "Cayenne Turbo" badge would be the way to go, if you know what I mean

Additional commentary:
A visit to China is eye opening. It will give a new perspective to the so called Euro crisis, and you can quickly get a visualization of why Germany is so far ahead economically in the EU, and leaving the other countries in their dust. Get on the road from the airport in a well-to-do Chinese city such as Shanghai or Beijing, and one thing immediately strikes the eye: A traffic jam full of fine German automobiles as far as the eye can see. And I am not talking about the cheap stuff … S-class, 5 series, and A6 counts for a major part of the traffic Audi A6 is insanely popular as it is the car of government officials (society role-models), and are locally produced in joint venture factories. Those laughable Chinese cars, well honestly, I did not see many of them.

With their well over a billion people, with a fair percentage that have suddenly become wealthy, they now represent a true global consumer society. Their tastes are moving ahead of their locally produced goods. They will soon (actually already), be dictating to the rest of the world, the luxury good they expect to be produced for them! I won't even get into their wonderful Allstom/Siemens high speed train network, and Bombardier subways that rival what citizens of those companies home countries get!!!!

Ok, enough ranting, back to Cayenne … Porsche, you have already done the engineering and tooling, and are currently pumping these superior V6 models off of your assembly lines as we speak! Stop hiding them in China, and hand them over to the rest of us!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Yukio&958
Track Day

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne

Additional commentary:

USD$200K V6 Cayenne in China is almost naked without any options and 90% of cayenne in CHINA is smuggling from either states or other European countries . I am from a harbor city in China and I know the "secret" lol

Here is a pic of the sports car member event around my area and most of the owners were born on the 80'

Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

欢迎参加论坛。它会让你上瘾的。

And I like my Cayennes "naked", hence the lowball price
Old 08-25-2012, 02:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

disparity of wealth is tremendous in china.
those who can afford german/italian machine print their own money, literally unlimited.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:07 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting! I am thinking about placing an order for a V6 Cayenne. Should I wait for the 2014 models?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:56 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Depends on how much inventory Porsche & VAG wants to deplete before changing the V-6 world wide.
Information which I don't have.

Larry will be able to tell you
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM
WFBlue
Advanced

Originally Posted by mooty
disparity of wealth is tremendous in china.
those who can afford german/italian machine print their own money, literally unlimited.
a bit off-topic here, but I suspect that wealth disparity is going to come back and bite them in the *** eventually.

Quick Reply: Model 2013