Sponsored by:

GTS less maintenance less than Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GTS less maintenance less than Turbo

With my ever quest to replace my current Audi S4 Avant, the Cayenne is always at the top of the list. I struggle between getting a truck or a Cayenne. I am not thrilled about driving the truck but will take the Cayenne places I am not sure it should go. That is a different story. So my question is, have you guys noticed or thought that the GTS Cayenne might be less maintenance than the Turbo's? I dont hear about too many people having blown Turbo's on the Cayenne but thought it worth asking. Seems like the shaft issue is the most common.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not really. They both have pretty much the same issues. The only thing you might see on the Turbo that a GTS wouldn't have is oil leaks from the turbo/intercooler piping.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:33 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the issues fairly isolated to the cardan shaft? I have of course found some higher mileage Cayenne's but am pretty wary of such an expensive vehicle out of warranty.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Nothing major that I can recall for the 957. Cardan shaft (center support bearing), and high-pressure fuel pump (should have been covered under recall/campaign). I would imagine water pumps will start being an issue in the near future, as I don't think they changed the design much over the 955.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 PM
old blue
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gts maintenance and possible repairs

Check out the December 2010 issue of Excellence magazine or the current issue of Excellence for potential issues [ or ones should have checked if you would consider buying used] of the Cayenne.

Summary, though is that Cayennes, including GTS have proven very
reliable. Much more so than Audi.

mike
Old 08-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Shaolin
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
Not really. They both have pretty much the same issues. The only thing you might see on the Turbo that a GTS wouldn't have is oil leaks from the turbo/intercooler piping.
Hi XR4Tim,

Sorry I'm new to Porsche so may have some stupid questions. In regards to below:

- Nothing major that I can recall for the 957. - is the 957 the 09/10 cayenne GTS model?
- Cardan shaft (center support bearing) - how often do you see/hear that this breaks?
- high-pressure fuel pump (should have been covered under recall/campaign). - Do you know if this is for 09/10 GTS? Any issue brought up after recall done by Porsche?
- I would imagine water pumps will start being an issue in the near future, as I don't think they changed the design much over the 955.- how soon (mileage wise) do you think this will start to fail?

I am in the market for a used GTS so just preparing myself (hopefully not getting myself into a disaster)
Old 08-13-2012, 03:49 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shaolin
Hi XR4Tim,

Sorry I'm new to Porsche so may have some stupid questions. In regards to below:

- Nothing major that I can recall for the 957. - is the 957 the 09/10 cayenne GTS model?
- Cardan shaft (center support bearing) - how often do you see/hear that this breaks?
- high-pressure fuel pump (should have been covered under recall/campaign). - Do you know if this is for 09/10 GTS? Any issue brought up after recall done by Porsche?
- I would imagine water pumps will start being an issue in the near future, as I don't think they changed the design much over the 955.- how soon (mileage wise) do you think this will start to fail?

I am in the market for a used GTS so just preparing myself (hopefully not getting myself into a disaster)
-957 is the 2008-2010 generation of Cayenne, including the GTS.
-I have not seen a cardan shaft center support bearing break on a 957, but they use the exact same part as the 955 (2003-2006), so it stands to reason that they will fail as well. I think all of these center support bearings will fail at some point. The ones that I replaced were in the 60k-110k mile range, and were 5-7 years old at the time.
-High pressure fuel pumps were replaced under recall for most '08-'10 4.8 liter engines, it certainly did apply to GTS models. I have not heard of any issues after the recall, though I did have to replace one twice on a Panamera 4S because the new pump was faulty.
-Most failed 955 water pumps that I replaced were at 7-8 years of age with mileage as low as 40k miles. We'll probably start seeing failure on 957 water pumps in a couple of years.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've only done one but the water pump replacement on a 955 is fairly simple, I wouldn't worry too much about that possibility.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Shaolin
Cruisin'

ok thanks for above comments.

Quick Reply: GTS less maintenance less than Turbo