Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

:: ECS Tuning :: Cayenne (03-06) V8 Coolant Pipe Repair Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:24 AM
bfly
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was lucky enough to blow the pipes last week and ordered the kit from ECS. It pretty much has everything you need to make the repair expect the o-ring for the front of the thermostat housing. I'm not sure why they would omit that part especially when they provide the thermostat housing gaskets. Otherwise they put together a nice kit.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bfly
I was lucky enough to blow the pipes last week and ordered the kit from ECS. It pretty much has everything you need to make the repair expect the o-ring for the front of the thermostat housing. I'm not sure why they would omit that part especially when they provide the thermostat housing gaskets. Otherwise they put together a nice kit.
Are you talking about the o-ring that goes around the bypass tube that bolts into the front of the t-stat housing or the o-ring (gasket really) that goes around the t-stat reservoir inside the t-stat assy?

While I expected to get the o-ring for the bypass tube when I bought my parts from Hennessey in Atl. they don't expect us to remove the t-stat housing top at all so they don't include it. I just used a little of the assy grease provided and it didn't leak on mine. As for that inner gasket I don't see that being a issue if it leaks, it would just be leaking into another section of the t-stat housing, not external.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:22 PM
bfly
Advanced

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Are you talking about the o-ring that goes around the bypass tube that bolts into the front of the t-stat housing or the o-ring (gasket really) that goes around the t-stat reservoir inside the t-stat ?
I'm talking about the o-ring. ECS actually supplies the thermostat housing sealing ring inside the thermostat housing. It is a well thought out kit. It is only missing that o-ring.

Oh yea, one more thing. They didn't include any o-ring grease. They list it in their instructions so that may have been a packing mistake.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To clarify, are you referring to #8 or #13?

The O-ring grease has been temporarily removed from our kits, as it has been on back-order with Porsche for some time now. The kit price has been amended to account for its removal. As soon as it is available again, it will be reintroduced to the kit.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:52 AM
bfly
Advanced

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning

To clarify, are you referring to #8 or #13?

The O-ring grease has been temporarily removed from our kits, as it has been on back-order with Porsche for some time now. The kit price has been amended to account for its removal. As soon as it is available again, it will be reintroduced to the kit.
Part #8.

No worries on the grease. It was just an observation.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Not a real accurate representation of part #11, it's about 1/3 the size of part # 9.

ECS, I know this is not your drawing, just making a comment.

For future viewers, the lower portion of the t-stat assy is on the far right, items 12, 9 & 11 are pictured. The o-ring goes on the tube positioned on top.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:15 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

We did not need to replace the o-ring #8 when we did the repair on our '04 CTT, but I could see how some would like it to be included. We will be including the o-ring in this kit as soon as we receive some from Porsche. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Not a real accurate representation of part #11, it's about 1/3 the size of part # 9.

ECS, I know this is not your drawing, just making a comment.

For future viewers, the lower portion of the t-stat assy is on the far right, items x, 9 & 11 are pictured.
For clarification sake, both 9 and 11 are included in our kit.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:07 PM
lonertic
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this is specific to the US market but I've got an Australian 955 CTT and I found out the kit's already been fitted in my car by Porsche.. possibly done as a recall when it was under the previous owner? Long story short, $1k+ wasted on ordering parts and labor only to find out it wasnt needed - so for the benefit of the next guy, invest $100 in a snake-cam and see if you're lucky enough to already have the kit onboard first
Old 08-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

To be clear, I think most dealership shops (and even ECS) do this job w/out removing the top off the t-stat housing which is why you need to be clear on how you're going to do this job before ordering your parts. Personally, unless you've done a few and figured out some tricks, getting the gunk/deposits cleaned out of the tube receptacles is a tough enough job, removing the top just made it easier for me.

ECS has put together a very comprehensive "kit" and their DIY instructions are outstanding. Thank you.

Disclaimer: I bought my parts from Hennessy Porsche in Atl. as I've had a (parts) relationship with them for several years and they've always treated me very well. However since I didn't know about the t-stat gasket and they didn't send one I had to order it separately later. Live and learn.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:15 AM
bfly
Advanced

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
We did not need to replace the o-ring #8 when we did the repair on our '04 CTT, but I could see how some would like it to be included. We will be including the o-ring in this kit as soon as we receive some from Porsche. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
I probably don't need to replace it but I would hate to take it all apart again for a $4 part.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by bfly
I probably don't need to replace it but I would hate to take it all apart again for a $4 part.
I don't think you wouldn't need to for that o-ring, that tube plugs into the front of the t-stat housing. I'd have to look at it again with it all back together but I don't think replacing the o-ring would be a challenge. Since I didn't get an o-ring in mine I just cleaned up the gunk in the receptical and used a little of the Porsche lube/grease, no leak.

Edit: Took the front engine cover off, I don't think you would be able to replace that o-ring on it's own very easily. At the very min. you would have to remove the upper belt pulley to access the screw holding the tube secure.

IIRC that tube is the coolant line for the alt.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 08-24-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 227 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by lonertic
Not sure if this is specific to the US market but I've got an Australian 955 CTT and I found out the kit's already been fitted in my car by Porsche.. possibly done as a recall when it was under the previous owner? Long story short, $1k+ wasted on ordering parts and labor only to find out it wasnt needed - so for the benefit of the next guy, invest $100 in a snake-cam and see if you're lucky enough to already have the kit onboard first
Doh!!

Not done on a recall, porsche havent owned up to there being a problem!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:16 PM
cwitt
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got my kit (thanks, ECS!), the extra t-stat housing o-ring, the turbo tee fitting, the Porsche o-ring lube, and all the required tools. I'm ready to tear into this tonight/tomorrow on my 2005 Cayenne Turbo. Exciting!

One question though: Is the 2L of coolant that comes in the kit going to be enough to fill the cooling system after I'm done?

I realize it gets diluted 1:1 with distilled water, but even so, 4L doesn't seem like much for a system that has a capacity of 18-21L (according to my service manual).

Thanks!

Curtis
Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I used the vac tool (sorry, don't recall it's name right now) to suck the replacement coolant back into the engine and barely used 1 gal (w/ 1 gal distilled water) back into the system. In addition, since my radiator didn't have the drain plug so I had to remove the lower radiator hose to drain the system (what a PITA!). I've got photos in the other thread of what the radiator hoses look like, the ends have fittings that plug into the radiator and are a bitch to get out.

After re-reading your post and seeing that you're in MN I would fetch a gal. of the Havoline Coolant (or Peak Global if you can find it), just to be safe.

Quick Reply: :: ECS Tuning :: Cayenne (03-06) V8 Coolant Pipe Repair Kit