Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

:: ECS Tuning :: Cayenne (03-06) V8 Coolant Pipe Repair Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:19 PM
cwitt
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did indeed mean 2 liters - this was not a typo.

The ECS kit comes with two 1 liter containers of Porsche coolant. There are no mixing instructions on the containers, but I presume that they're intended to be mixed at the typical 50/50 (1:1) ratio. The ECS kit instructions also refer to this 50/50 ratio.

The ECS kit seems pretty thorough, so I'm surprised that they would only provide a portion of the coolant required to finish the job.

We've got a couple of Porsche dealerships in town, so I may have to run and pick some up, in case I run short.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
We do not currently offer the plastic T in the kit, for the fact that the part is limited to Turbo models. Additionally, while it is not uncommon for them to be broken, there is a possibility that they will not be broken, and I did not want to raise the price of the kit due to a "maybe". We do, however, offer it separately.

Turbo Part # 94810721552
I think the turbo-specific tee LTC is referring to is the coolant tee at the back of the engine, that attaches to the right-most aluminum pipe in your replacement kit:

Name:  tee.png
Views: 3531
Size:  31.3 KB

Part # 955 106 323 50 "coolant hose"

As seen in the wild:

Name:  tee 2.png
Views: 3826
Size:  333.7 KB

That's the 1" thick, rubber hose/tee that has to be replaced on turbos, above and beyond the normal aluminum replacement kit.

The one you posted (which, as you mentioned, may or may not break - but usually does) is a breather/vent line, with the little white brittle tee that shears off where it connects in back.

In any case, that little vent line with the white "tee" connector, and the massive black hose tee that flushes coolant back behind the engine are very different. I think LTC's point is that when you will probably want to have two kits - one with the extra coolant hose tee for turbo owners, and one without for plain V8s. It would be a bit of a disservice to not insist that the Turbo owners replace the big tee while they're in there... because they'll end up doing it one way or another. In fact, there are a few warm threads on this very topic right now.

And then keep the vent lines handy as well...
Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cwitt
I've got my kit (thanks, ECS!), the extra t-stat housing o-ring, the turbo tee fitting, the Porsche o-ring lube, and all the required tools. I'm ready to tear into this tonight/tomorrow on my 2005 Cayenne Turbo. Exciting!

One question though: Is the 2L of coolant that comes in the kit going to be enough to fill the cooling system after I'm done?

I realize it gets diluted 1:1 with distilled water, but even so, 4L doesn't seem like much for a system that has a capacity of 18-21L (according to my service manual).

Thanks!

Curtis
It's been a while, but I could have sworn I bought two OEM jugs from the local dealer, and when I saw it wasn't even close in the reservoir, ended up having to go back for at least two more. Quite the hassle.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:51 AM
cwitt
7th Gear

Well, so far my project is off to a rough start. My radiator doesn't have a drain plug, and the lower hose fitting doesn't want to let loose, even when the clip is properly dislodged. I figured I'd suck coolant out of the cut/drilled pipes when I got to that point.

Then I cracked the "Y" fitting that the venturi pipe connects to at the right rear of the engine. This *appears* to be part number 948 110 070 03 in the catalog, and it comes as a whole assembly of vacuum line stuff. Can anybody confirm this?

My next brilliant move was to lean on the vacuum line that comes out of the vacuum pump near the torque strut, and I cracked it too. I have no idea what this part number is, and don't see anything like it on the catalog page where the vacuum pump itself is. I have a fear that this could be another big assembly that ends up darting into the firewall and heading to the brake booster somehow.

Is it even possible to remove these vacuum lines from any of the fittings and check valves that they connect to? They seem like very hard plastic, and short of heating them with a heat gun, I can't imagine they'd come loose before breaking.

I'm getting the sinking feeling that this project could end up involving a flatbed ride to my mechanic, to bail me out, finish the job, and empty my wallet.

Please help if you can.
Attached Images     
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Then I cracked the "Y" fitting that the venturi pipe connects to at the right rear of the engine. This *appears* to be part number 948 110 070 03 in the catalog, and it comes as a whole assembly of vacuum line stuff. Can anybody confirm this?

My next brilliant move was to lean on the vacuum line that comes out of the vacuum pump near the torque strut, and I cracked it too. I have no idea what this part number is, and don't see anything like it on the catalog page where the vacuum pump itself is. I have a fear that this could be another big assembly that ends up darting into the firewall and heading to the brake booster somehow.

Please help if you can.
I can confirm that this is one large piece. We had to replace it recently on our own Cayenne because the clips had broken and were not sealing properly. If you need one, you can get it HERE.

The hard plastic becomes brittle with engine bay heat.

As for the other vacuum line, it appears that #14 is what you need.

Since you have a turbo, the part number for your car is 95535557951.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 AM
bfly
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did indeed mean 2 liters - this was not a typo.

The ECS kit comes with two 1 liter containers of Porsche coolant. There are no mixing instructions on the containers, but I presume that they're intended to be mixed at the typical 50/50 (1:1) ratio. The ECS kit instructions also refer to this 50/50 ratio.

The ECS kit seems pretty thorough, so I'm surprised that they would only provide a portion of the coolant required to finish the job.

We've got a couple of Porsche dealerships in town, so I may have to run and pick some up, in case I run short.
If you drain the radiator then you will need quite a bit more than two liters. The Turbo takes 10 liters of coolant and the S just a little less.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, so far my project is off to a rough start. My radiator doesn't have a drain plug, and the lower hose fitting doesn't want to let loose, even when the clip is properly dislodged. I figured I'd suck coolant out of the cut/drilled pipes when I got to that point.

Is it even possible to remove these vacuum lines from any of the fittings and check valves that they connect to? They seem like very hard plastic, and short of heating them with a heat gun, I can't imagine they'd come loose before breaking.

I'm getting the sinking feeling that this project could end up involving a flatbed ride to my mechanic, to bail me out, finish the job, and empty my wallet.

Please help if you can.
The lower radiator hose DOES come out, I'll look for my pic of it. It was MOST definitely a PITA to get out, I spent 45 min to an hr. getting it out. I removed the retaining clip completely (fairly easy to do) so I know that wasn't what was causing the problem.

As for the vac. connections, that one in the back left (looking from the front) that connects up into the rear of the intake was a bitch to get to (used my finger on one side and a screwdriver on the other) to push those nubs together, yes, it was tight.

Even removing the lower radiator hose (and all the coolant) I think I used less than 8 qts (IIRC) of coolant mixture to refill the system, it doesn't drain the system anywhere near completely.

Good luck.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 PM
drstephensugiono
AutoX

I've had the coolant pipes on my 04 CTT upgraded and replaced at Walters Porsche sometime back and now it leaks again. Scoped it from the bottom, coming from behind the engine hose but can't see exactly where from. After reading the forum it appears that I may have the coolant hose T needing to be replaced. Do I have to remove the intake manifold plenum and all to get to it? Can it be done from under the car behind the engine space? Is this the vent lines ECS Tuning was talking about? Help!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:12 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll need to confirm which T-fitting it is. There are more than one on the Turbo. You don't need to remove the intake plenum for either, though it might make it easier. In any case, it's not easy.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:22 PM
drstephensugiono
AutoX

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any part number for the T fittings. I want to replace the vent tube and any t fittings that back there. So, I don't need to take the manifold off, and need a 7 yr old hands to fit in there? lol
Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

7-year old hands with monkey arms.
T-fitting that goes to the turbochargers: 94810603551
T-fitting above that one: 95510632350
^ This one is attached to the left-most (in the direction of travel) of the 3 aluminum coolant pipes. This one will be easiest with the manifold off.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 PM
drstephensugiono
AutoX

Thanks XR4Tim...appreciate it! How long would this job take to replace the 2 T hoses at the back? I understand for the vent tube the manifold needs to come off right? Sounds like a root canal is easier to do!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

@drstephensugiono We have the parts your looking for, with the information XR4Tim gave you, these are the parts your looking for.

This is part number 95510632350.

This is part number 94810603551

For more information and to purchase Click Here
Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Originally Posted by drstephensugiono
Thanks XR4Tim...appreciate it! How long would this job take to replace the 2 T hoses at the back? I understand for the vent tube the manifold needs to come off right? Sounds like a root canal is easier to do!
Yes, the manifold does have to come off for the vent lines. If you're lucky, and you've got good tools, I'd say you'll be into it for a minimum of 2½ hours, but it could become significantly more if those T-fittings give you trouble (as they often do).
Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 PM
drstephensugiono
AutoX

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: :: ECS Tuning :: Cayenne (03-06) V8 Coolant Pipe Repair Kit