Sponsored by:

How do I remove the wiper arm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Kermit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the wiper arm?

My wipers were getting worse, not pressing hard enough against the windshield (and thus not wiping all the water away from it). I have now ordered replacement wiper arms and was about to install them. Looked easy enough, just 3 easy-to-access bolts.. But after loosening the arms, the right side of the "double linkage" arm won't come loose. How are you supposed to remove it? Do you need to remove some other bolt / clip / whatnot, or can you just pull it out? Just pulling feels risky, as it's stuck really hard and I don't want to damage anything. It's a 2004 turbo, if that matters.

Any tips welcome,

/ Eric
Old 06-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a circular rubber bushing inside the arm aperture that is probably sticking to the arm shaft; preventing removal of the arm ***'y. Normally, you should use a wiper arm puller (available at NAPA) to pull the arm straight out.

If you're short on working clearance, have somebody hold the hood panel and disengage the pneumatic strut on the side of the arm that is being removed.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Kermit
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick reply So if I understand you correctly, it's just stuck and need to be pulled out by force? I have access to puller tools that should do the trick (similar to this: ), just wanted to be sure I won't damage anything by using brute force
Old 06-13-2012, 04:32 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I thought there was a bulletin, maybe it was for the touareg, about bending the arm to press better against the windshield, eliminating that spot on the bottom that doesn't wipe.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...iels-wiper-tsb

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...r-problem.html
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

touareg?! we're talking about a cayenne here, a completely different vehicle!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Kermit
Intermediate

I have tried bending both the wipers and arms for a better "fit" against the window - doesn't work well at all :P. And of cource changing the blades, doesn't do anything either. I guess the springs in the arms are getting a bit old.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Kermit, the tool you pictured looks like it could pull a 2 foot pulley off a 20 HP industrial motor. It may be overkill for what you plan on using it for.

Most of the wiper issues that have been discussed on this forum deal with a shuddering noise that very closely resembles an elephant dragging his **** across your windscreen. This is usually remedied by bending the arm so that it lies flat and perpendicular to the windscreen.

I've personally witnessed wiper issues that some people have experienced with other vehicles that were a direct cause of installing aftermarket body parts such as hood deflectors, bras, etc... The air was re-directed in such a fashion that caused turbulence at the base of the windscreen.

Here's a pic of what you can find at most auto parts stores or your neighbourhood Snap-On or Mac Tools truck.
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Kermit
Intermediate

Just a follow-up on this topic - I had tried bending the arms / wipers but it just didn't matter what I did. The problem was the springs in the arm itself that got a bit "stretched" somehow (I usually tilt the arms up while washing the car, maybe that's why). Anyway, I couldn't find any smaller pull-tool as the one pictured by Andy, but it worked great with the one I had (it's not as large as it seems i nthe picture, maybe 2-2.5" length). Anyway, once the arm was loose changing them was no problem at all, and now it presses firmly again my windshield again. Mission completed
Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArneeA
touareg?! we're talking about a cayenne here, a completely different vehicle!
I have not checked yet, but I am willing to bet it is the same part

Elephant *** across the windshield is the Porsche TSB
Old 06-18-2012, 08:32 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kermit
Just a follow-up on this topic - I had tried bending the arms / wipers but it just didn't matter what I did. The problem was the springs in the arm itself that got a bit "stretched" somehow (I usually tilt the arms up while washing the car, maybe that's why). Anyway, I couldn't find any smaller pull-tool as the one pictured by Andy, but it worked great with the one I had (it's not as large as it seems i nthe picture, maybe 2-2.5" length). Anyway, once the arm was loose changing them was no problem at all, and now it presses firmly again my windshield again. Mission completed
So how much for the arms?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Kermit
Intermediate

Originally Posted by touareg
So how much for the arms?
Converted from my currency (I live in Sweden) to USD, about $350 for both arms with wiperblades (new from Porsche, no used/third-party ones).

Quick Reply: How do I remove the wiper arm?