Sponsored by:

Replacement Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:05 AM
gte
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Tires

I have 21" turbo wheels and am close to needing tires. Is there any problem replacing with tires without the "N" designation?

George
Old 06-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As far back as the early '90s and before N-specification, Porsche would annually test a series of tires from various manufacturers. They would rate each tire on different Porsche models and post their recommendations as to which tire worked best on each specific vehicle.

I have yet to get a logical response from any tire manufacturer's rep as to whether or not there are considerable differences between two identical models of tire (one N-spec and the other standard) of the same brand to justify the hike in price.

Last year, a Pirelli rep had told me that the N-spec P-Zero has many changes to it over the standard P-Zero. Changes such as bead design to better fit the Porsche OEM rim, modified placement of the steel belts, custom rubber compound, etc... that better work with Porsche's suspension setup.

For now, all I can say to you is that unless you are tracking your Cayenne and using it to it's fullest degree, N-spec tires are overrated for most of us who use our trucks to commute daily to work and back.

Personally, I believe that there's too much undocumented hype on the N-spec; especially since the cost is easily 20-25% higher and we don't drive or track our Cayennes like a GT2 or GT3 owner would.

BTW, Tire rack has an excellent write-up on N-spec tires here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26

In the end, the choice is yours. Just remember that if you only replace one or two of your tires with new, they must all be N-spec tires.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:19 PM
gte
Advanced

Thanks for the info Andy. Has anyone got any feedback tires in the 21in size. I know the selection is limited and the price is crazy, but is it worth the extra 100-150/tire for the Michelin or the Yokohoma tires over Conti's or P0's.

George
Old 06-07-2012, 02:33 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
A
"For now, all I can say to you is that unless you are tracking your Cayenne and using it to it's fullest degree, N-spec tires are overrated for most of us who use our trucks to commute daily to work and back.

Personally, I believe that there's too much undocumented hype on the N-spec; especially since the cost is easily 20-25% higher and we don't drive or track our Cayennes like a GT2 or GT3 owner would."
I feel the same way.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gte
Thanks for the info Andy. Has anyone got any feedback tires in the 21in size. I know the selection is limited and the price is crazy, but is it worth the extra 100-150/tire for the Michelin or the Yokohoma tires over Conti's or P0's.

George
George, if you do a search on this subject you'll find quite a bit of feedback that's been submitted.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Andy E,merci pour le lien
Old 06-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,487 Likes on 936 Posts

FWIW - I like N-spec tires on my C4S. I use standard tires on my Cayenne. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS is the best tire I've ever had on the Cayenne. I like it much better than the N-spec Continental SportContact 4x4 tires that were on my Cayenne from the factory.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:22 PM
gte
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
FWIW - I like N-spec tires on my C4S. I use standard tires on my Cayenne. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS is the best tire I've ever had on the Cayenne. I like it much better than the N-spec Continental SportContact 4x4 tires that were on my Cayenne from the factory.
The don't make the Conti DWS in my size. I just ordered the Conti Cross Contact UHP. Hopefully they get a little better life than the P0's that came on it.

George
Old 06-14-2012, 12:26 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the DWS...
Old 06-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,487 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by gte
The don't make the Conti DWS in my size. I just ordered the Conti Cross Contact UHP. Hopefully they get a little better life than the P0's that came on it.

George
Hopefully so. P-Zeros are horrible for tread life. I had a set of Continental SportContact 4x4 tires on our Cayenne at one point. They didn't last quite as long as the DWS, but longer than the P-Zeros.

Quick Reply: Replacement Tires