Cayenne or Audi Quattro Wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 10:54 AM
John.
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cayenne or Audi Quattro Wagon?

Just Curious...

Would you guys prefer the Cayenne or an Audi Quattro wagon. I think for the money, I would look long and hard at the new S6 wagon from Audi. The only problem is you have to get the tiptronic, there is no 6 speed. There is rumor of a twin turbo version of Audis S6 car which may come to the states soon. 450 HP or so out of the 4.2 V8.

The S6 has 320 HP and is great looking. I'm sure they will sell the Cayennes. I really want to see one up close once they arrive here in the states.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:11 PM
iamsuperdan
Banned

I think the Cayenne is closer to the allroad than the A6 wagon. Myself, I would go with the Cayenne because of its towing capacity. I have a trailer, and a station wagon would not be able to pull it.

Old 06-01-2002, 03:33 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My preference is to test drive the heck out of both (+ some others) and then decide. My expectation is that the C will deliver better performance in terms of transient response, driver control - feedback, "of-a-piece" tight & solid feel... you know, a Porsche. It should define a "hors category" performance niche anong (so-called) SUVs.

If it isn't that good, I'll be disappointed, but I still expect it to be a better-than-the-rest SUV.

In any case, I hope it succeeds, because anything less will negatively impact the part of Porsche that most of us REALLY care about.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:33 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

The Audi avants will blow the base Chili-dipper away...and I bet the Chili-dipper won't pass the 3 dog comfort test. You can get an S6 loaded for $60K and an allroad for $40K, either way you'll probably have enough extra dough to get a nice used 993 as compaired to a loaded twin-pepper.

I like the Audi avants for their ride, space, luxury appointments and decent performance. The S6 definitely accelerates, handles and brakes better. The allroad has distinctly tough bull dog ugly looks - and drives well overall. Tip was the only option for my wife, and for around town driving it's easy to live with
Old 06-02-2002, 11:28 PM
John.
User

I am still waiting to see the Cayenne, but I must say that Audi does have some nice vehicles these days. Let's face it, you take an S4 and modify it and you are easily running with the 993s and 996s. My 1993 S4 will run pretty close with an early Carrera.

I think for the money, the Avants will probably be a better buy. If they ever bring the RS6 to the states, that would be what I want. Twin Turbo V8 with 450 HP!

Nonetheless, the Cayenne should be an interesting marketing lesson for all of us. I would bet they sell like hotcakes.

I just wish Audi would bring back the 6 speed to the lineup once again. That Tip thing does nothing for me. I think I'd be the only guy who would order a 360 Modena without the F1 shifter!
Old 06-03-2002, 08:21 PM
brobbinson
Instructor

IMO, the best performance SUV on the market today by a wide margin is the BMW X5 (if you don't need third seat capacity). No, I do not own one, I own both a Lexus 450 and Toyota Sequoia (since each have a third seat which is a must for my family). (By the way, the Sequoia is a GREAT Suv). It will be interesting to see how the Cayenne fairs v. the BMW. No argument that audi is making some fine cars - and the S6 version of their wagon expected out shortly should rock. I don't think the S4 measures up to the performance of a 996 - If they sold the S6 sedan in the US, it would be a good competitor for the BMW M5 though.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:46 PM
karl k
Advanced

[quote]Originally posted by John Kuhn:
<strong>Just Curious...

Would you guys prefer the Cayenne or an Audi Quattro wagon. I think for the money, I would look long and hard at the new S6 wagon from Audi. The only problem is you have to get the tiptronic, there is no 6 speed. There is rumor of a twin turbo version of Audis S6 car which may come to the states soon. 450 HP or so out of the 4.2 V8.

The S6 has 320 HP and is great looking. I'm sure they will sell the Cayennes. I really want to see one up close once they arrive here in the states.</strong><hr></blockquote>Here is the Audi RS6 official website. 450HP, 0-100km in 4.7 seconds.

<a href="http://www.audi.com/de/de/neuwagen/a6/rs_6/aussenansicht/360grad_aussenansicht_avant.jsp" target="_blank">http://www.audi.com/de/de/neuwagen/a6/rs_6/aussenansicht/360grad_aussenansicht_avant.jsp</a>
Old 06-05-2002, 10:12 PM
John..
Three Wheelin'

A good modified Audi S4 will give any normally aspirated 911 a very good run for its money.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:43 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Don't you think it depends on how it drives?
I have a 996 ttX50 and an A6. The A6 has so much more front drive characteristic that it's not much fun to drive hard into a corner. The 996 has none of that characteristic. If Porsche tunes the suspension for a more sporting feel (less push) I'd go for the Porsche. While I havn't driven an allroad, I did drive the 4.2V8 A6 and found it only a little better on turn in. Granted, anything can be modified, but wouldn't it be nice if it worked right on delivery?
Old 06-07-2002, 11:37 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

A program on TV recently highlighted this here in the UK. Some guy had purchased a Nissan Sunny GTI-R (2 litre turbo AWD 225bhp or so) for £8000 and spent another £17K on it. The result was over 400hp. To illustrate this, they put it up against a Viper on a standing start. The Nissan beat it comfortably up to and beyond 100mph. Impressive? Yes. Would you want an ugly piece of sh*t like that? NO.

Not saying the RS6 is ugly. Just that the C should compared to the Allroad not a boy-racer souped up estate for the pipesmoking, hatwearing, 'I have got 3 dogs', middle aged racers who are having a mid-life crisis.

Mind you, I do understand the ethos of wanting a big fat car with lots of horsepower for no reason. Oh yeah, my choice would be a 1970 Chevelle SS 454cu. That would save another $18K on an aRSe6.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:20 PM
John..
Three Wheelin'

I'm 31 and would rather have an RS6 Audi than a 911 (except for a RUF turbo). I own two dogs but I don't smoke, I still have my hair so there is no need to wear a hat. I'll take the RS6, blow by the 911s AND the 1970 Chevelle 454 and still have room for my bicycle on the roof and some friends in the back. Let's not even mention performance in the snow.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:22 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by John Kuhn2:
<strong>I'm 31 and would rather have an RS6 Audi than a 911 (except for a RUF turbo). I own two dogs but I don't smoke, I still have my hair so there is no need to wear a hat. I'll take the RS6, blow by the 911s AND the 1970 Chevelle 454 and still have room for my bicycle on the roof and some friends in the back. Let's not even mention performance in the snow.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, for motorway racing it will be hard to beat. Not that exciting but each to their own.

I don't want to, but am so perplexed by the RUF Turbo statement that I have to ask 'why'? Have RUF developed a roofrack and some sort of trailer to bring your friends along?

Quick Reply: Cayenne or Audi Quattro Wagon?