Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne S - Time to choose options...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 07:32 PM
Tricky
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cayenne S - Time to choose options...

The fun has begun......

I've just got hold of the options list / order form for my Cayenne S (which will be one of the first for the UK where I live).

What do people think are the must haves, beyond leather and bigger wheels? My dealer thinks that the servotronic steering and ParkAssist are vital, along with the Bi-Xenons and the 3 spoke multi-function steering wheel.

Any views on the air suspension / PASM set-up (just less than £2000)?

Thoughts / comments welcomed......
Old 12-18-2002, 07:53 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

All of the reviews I have read suggested that the air suspension is an option you must get if you want the most nimble handling possible. However, I understand that while it may be supplied on a few Cayenne S models already assigned to dealer allocations, you may have to wait longer to be able to order it on a customer car (although that might be the case only for US vehicles).
Old 12-19-2002, 12:54 AM
dawktah
Racer

What is the situation with the spare tire in the U.K.? No collapsible spare in U.S.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:23 AM
P-seller
User

collapsible spare is listed as an option for 170.00. If you dont order it, you dont get a spare. A full size spare is also available. (externally mounted, you have to specify the size and pattern of your wheels). I think it's 1,800.00 and can be dealer installed.

Must have for Cayenne S IMHO......xenons, sunroof,PCM II otherwise dash has big hole,heated seats front and rear, spare tire, full size if you plan on towing, Bose.

Nice to have.....wood pack, park assist,Porsche entry and drive, four zone climate control, 19" wheels, Air suspension

Peace
PB
Old 12-19-2002, 10:58 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Off road technology package avalible with skid plates,Tow hooks, full size spare tire, 16" wheels and locking diffs yet?

19" wheels are really no good off road. Not enough sidewall to properly tackle terrain when aired down.

How much lift does the air suspension provide?
Old 12-19-2002, 11:43 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Arrow

Correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding ALL of the 1st batch of the Cayenne Utes will be produced w/ Porsche selected "packages."

That is just what I have heard.

I am not sure you will have free rein w/ your newly found option list.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:43 PM
dawktah
Racer

I have ordered with my dealer. So you can change an allocation. You however cannot change an S to a TT.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:40 PM
P-seller
User

[quote]Originally posted by P-seller:
<strong>collapsible spare is listed as an option for 170.00. If you dont order it, you dont get a spare. A full size spare is also available. (externally mounted, you have to specify the size and pattern of your wheels). I think it's 1,800.00 and can be dealer installed.

Must have for Cayenne S IMHO......xenons, sunroof,PCM II otherwise dash has big hole,heated seats front and rear, spare tire, full size if you plan on towing, Bose.

Nice to have.....wood pack, park assist,Porsche entry and drive, four zone climate control, 19" wheels, Air suspension

Peace
PB</strong><hr></blockquote>

Those crazy Germans, a sunroof and xenons are extra, but a 350 watt, 14 speaker Bose cabin surround sound system is standard on both S and tt. The badest factory system Porsche has ever offered. They know us Americans pretty well.

Collapsible spare is delayed, but will be 170.00 when available. Not sure about offroad technology pack. We know it's not available till late in 03, but wasnt sure about the 16" wheels. We think it will be all the stuff M758 mentioned with 18" wheels, The smallest wheels available for Cayenne.

Dealers have free range with the order guide to order whatever they want, Our S models are 72,500 on the high end, down to 58,000 or so, on the low end.

air suspension offers six settings. Ground clearance reanges from 6.2"(loading setting) to 10.7 inches(11" in a special off pavement level). The adjustable ride height is nice, like we know from RR and allroad, but the real reason to get the air suspension has nothing to do with off roading, it is for better handling on road. The air suspension not only adjust ride height, but also the damping and rebound rate at each corner(wheel) in real time as you drive.(reduced body lean, pitch and dive) Thats why the TT can be hustled around a track as fast as a Boxster S. Driving less agressively? Then the PASM will also adjust the suspension for a softer, more comfortable ride. There are three settings, normal, comfort and sport, it adjusts manually. Manual settings will be over ridden depending on your driving style. Ride height is also adjusted automatically.

Our friend michael B is correct. Porsche ag spec'd the first wave of cars to arrive on March 15th. Normally it would be PCNA, and every dealer would have an identical car, but this time it was PAG, and every dealer wont have identical cars. Dealers are free to order whatever they want now, this second allocation. If you know excatly what you want, and can order it sight unseen, you can move up on the list, becuase lots of guys wont order till they see it and drive it. We're skipping those guys and ordering cars with equipment we like.

Sorry for the long post
Peace
PS
Old 12-19-2002, 03:43 PM
sc400
3rd Gear

[quote]Originally posted by P-seller:
<strong>

Those crazy Germans, a sunroof and xenons are extra, but a 350 watt, 14 speaker Bose cabin surround sound system is standard on both S and tt. The badest factory system Porsche has ever offered. They know us Americans pretty well.

Collapsible spare is delayed, but will be 170.00 when available. Not sure about offroad technology pack. We know it's not available till late in 03, but wasnt sure about the 16" wheels. We think it will be all the stuff M758 mentioned with 18" wheels, The smallest wheels available for Cayenne.

Dealers have free range with the order guide to order whatever they want, Our S models are 72,500 on the high end, down to 58,000 or so, on the low end.

air suspension offers six settings. Ground clearance reanges from 6.2"(loading setting) to 10.7 inches(11" in a special off pavement level). The adjustable ride height is nice, like we know from RR and allroad, but the real reason to get the air suspension has nothing to do with off roading, it is for better handling on road. The air suspension not only adjust ride height, but also the damping and rebound rate at each corner(wheel) in real time as you drive.(reduced body lean, pitch and dive) Thats why the TT can be hustled around a track as fast as a Boxster S. Driving less agressively? Then the PASM will also adjust the suspension for a softer, more comfortable ride. There are three settings, normal, comfort and sport, it adjusts manually. Manual settings will be over ridden depending on your driving style. Ride height is also adjusted automatically.

Our friend michael B is correct. Porsche ag spec'd the first wave of cars to arrive on March 15th. Normally it would be PCNA, and every dealer would have an identical car, but this time it was PAG, and every dealer wont have identical cars. Dealers are free to order whatever they want now, this second allocation. If you know excatly what you want, and can order it sight unseen, you can move up on the list, becuase lots of guys wont order till they see it and drive it. We're skipping those guys and ordering cars with equipment we like.

Sorry for the long post
Peace
PS</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 12-19-2002, 03:44 PM
sc400
3rd Gear

[quote]Originally posted by sc400:
[QB][/QB]<hr></blockquote>

any thoughts on sand white ext- beige int?
Old 12-19-2002, 06:51 PM
Tricky
2nd Gear

Interesting!

The Bose is definitely NOT standard on the S in the UK .

Wheelsize is a tough one. Everyone who's ever owned a P-car knows that it's de rigeur to go up at least one size from what my dealer calls 'poverty spec'. But will this be necessary with the Cayenne - the point about 18's being better for offroad is well made, and they're probably better for onroad if you've got another car for weekend playing.

Several people have said that the servotronic is a real must.

Even without having driven one, I'm struck by P-s's comments on the air suspension / PASM being the dogs' for road use.

What about the sport or comfort seats - any opinions?

Also, is the full leather interior necessary? It's quite pricey (£1,769 = about $2,800) and the brochure states that the seats are leather anyway. Sounds like a lot of money for leather door linings and dash don't you think? Maybe the 'Sport Aluminium' pack (£493) will be enough to pretty up the interior?

How about the sunroof? Does anyone know whether or not any headroom is lost as a result?

Questions, questions, questions........!
Old 12-19-2002, 07:13 PM
P-seller
User

[quote]Originally posted by sc400:
<strong>

any thoughts on sand white ext- beige int?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I like White/beige.

remember that here in the states, all the interiors will be two-toned except black and the green.

Peace
PS
Old 12-19-2002, 07:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmm only 18's..
I wonder if you could fit BFG Mud Terrain's in 37x12.5x18 under the Cayenne??
Now that be some meats for this thing...
Think it would need the air suspnsion rigged to stay at max height and some fender trimming?
Old 12-19-2002, 07:28 PM
P-seller
User

[quote]Originally posted by Tricky:
<strong>Interesting!

The Bose is definitely NOT standard on the S in the UK .

Wheelsize is a tough one. Everyone who's ever owned a P-car knows that it's de rigeur to go up at least one size from what my dealer calls 'poverty spec'. But will this be necessary with the Cayenne - the point about 18's being better for offroad is well made, and they're probably better for onroad if you've got another car for weekend playing.

Several people have said that the servotronic is a real must.

Even without having driven one, I'm struck by P-s's comments on the air suspension / PASM being the dogs' for road use.

What about the sport or comfort seats - any opinions?

Also, is the full leather interior necessary? It's quite pricey (£1,769 = about $2,800) and the brochure states that the seats are leather anyway. Sounds like a lot of money for leather door linings and dash don't you think? Maybe the 'Sport Aluminium' pack (£493) will be enough to pretty up the interior?

How about the sunroof? Does anyone know whether or not any headroom is lost as a result?

Questions, questions, questions........!</strong><hr></blockquote>

The sport seats are the most confiningg of any of Posrche sport seats. If you are wide of girth, you'll want to sit in them first before ordering.

You know how audis have that artificialy light steering feel at low speeds? One finger light in the newer cars. That's what the servotronic steering has been cdescribed to us at. I dont like light steering in Audi's, I dont think I'll like it in a 5,200lb, quick vehicle like the cayenne. Clearly it's a concession to the soccer moms. I think I'd skip it.

When I said I would do 19's on my Cayenne, It's cause the only off roading I'll be doing is on a boat ramp, and I have a nice ,fast freeway commute. I think I would do the 18" wheels with the optional no -charge all season rubber, if there was a chance I'd do light off-roading.

I'm with you on the full leather. Just like in the sports cars, it's pricey and way too sublte, for what it costs. You cant even get it back at resale. I dont think I'd do full leather. For the money, Id get the roof rack and running boards and bose if it's not standard in the UK
Old 12-19-2002, 08:11 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

I really am curious....A 80k car weighing over 5100 pounds and NO SPARE TIRE? Is this one of those "roadside assistance" things? No offense meant; I am still trying to get my head around the entire concept....

Quick Reply: Cayenne S - Time to choose options...