Sponsored by:

Just bought Cayenne S need help with trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts
Post Just bought Cayenne S need help with trailer wiring

Car is sweet. I got this one for the wife. Lapis Blue, Grey Interior, PCM, heated seat, wood trim, park sensors, towing package, luggage rack and etc.

Coming from a 996 owner with w 996TT on order, this car is a blast to drive for a SUV. Was not sure on the looks, but once me and the wife drove it, we were hooked.

This vehicle has to pull my 21 foot Mastercraft X-Star. The plug on the vehicle matches nothing I can find. I also do not think it would be a good idea to splice into the lines. I just need a 5 way (with trailer brake disengage line).

Where the hades can I get a plug to fit the Porsche plug on the back? Should one have come with my car? Need to use boat ASAP.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:29 PM
Stirs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't seen the Porsche wiring setup but if it is round like the one on my wife's X5 there is a special plastic adapter that changes it to the standard 5 way which I assume should have come with the vehicle (unless it was not available when yours shipped). Wish I could help more but my Cayenne doesn't have the tow package. I would definitely ask the dealer . . .
Old 05-04-2003, 12:49 PM
dawktah
Racer

Its a part you have to order Porsche towing 955 044 000 10. My dealer told me it was unavailable about 3 weeks ago. May be ready now.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Doug H:
<strong>Car is sweet. I got this one for the wife. Lapis Blue, Grey Interior, PCM, heated seat, wood trim, park sensors, towing package, luggage rack and etc.

Coming from a 996 owner with w 996TT on order, this car is a blast to drive for a SUV. Was not sure on the looks, but once me and the wife drove it, we were hooked.

This vehicle has to pull my 21 foot Mastercraft X-Star. The plug on the vehicle matches nothing I can find. I also do not think it would be a good idea to splice into the lines. I just need a 5 way (with trailer brake disengage line).

Where the hades can I get a plug to fit the Porsche plug on the back? Should one have come with my car? Need to use boat ASAP.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Sounds like the part on my wife's Audi Allroad. If Porsche doesn't have it, I suggest that you stop at an Audi dealership
JM
Old 05-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I was told today that the wires going to the plug were not even hot. A dealer has to program the computer to send a signal to the wires and it will be at least three weeks before they have the package and the capabilities to program for towing. Been nice if I would have known before hand, but I am still cool with the Cayenne. Looks like I will have to get freinds to tow my boat until Porsche decides to get their **** together.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:09 PM
BRONCO BILLY
3rd Gear

I have wired 2 cayennes it very simple.the colours of the wires are the same as north american plugs. the only wire that is different is the ground wire.on n.a trailers the wire is white but on the cayenne it is the 2.0 mm brown wire. the thinner brown wire is for the signals
Old 05-08-2003, 08:08 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

So I would not need a computer to set up. I could just slipce into the wires.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
This is from Mark on the funcars board
"For those of you interested in using your pepper to tow with you need the adapter to convert the porsche connector to a US version. The part number is 900 001 506 041 and my dealer obtained it from Westfalia American Hitch Co.. $15 The adapter is now a standard seven pin US receptical and there are easily available converters to 6,5 or4 pin. Hope this shortens anyones search and btw it tows great I have towed my 18ft Boston Whaler with it already. the dealer is Eero Porsche of Anchorage. 907 272-5522 ask for Lori in Parts tell her Mark sent you and she will know exactly what you want. I know they are in stock because she ordered ten of them"
Old 06-10-2003, 09:49 PM
C4FDR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do you have info on wirring electric brakes

Quick Reply: Just bought Cayenne S need help with trailer wiring