Sponsored by:

Porsche NA and their delaers

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 09:40 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts
Agreed. So does BMW.

Despite the soundbite offered by Mr. H above I too know from experience that you can have a superior product and get superior service.

Have we forgotten how much Mercedes and BMW service improved after Lexus joined the party?
Old 06-05-2003, 12:53 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Bob D.:
It is always an unpleasant shock when I head to the Porsche dealer after being treated so well at Lexus!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">What Porsche Dealer have you been working with?
Old 06-05-2003, 01:32 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Someone out there with a website? What we need is a "rate the Porsche dealership" site where folks can post their experiences, and a running tally of excellent/good/fair/poor or some simlar rating scheme can be used. Get enough numbers and PCNA will take notice.

To enter a mass luxury market like the upscale SUV world, any company needs a solid product and impressive customer service; the way I see it Porsche only has part of that equation in place. Lexus is indeed a great example of successful execution of the whole concept.....

The masses aren't going to tolerate the kind of guff those of us have who love Porsche sports cars first and foremost, and who have always gone to Honda, Toyota et. al. when we have higher expectations for our service experience than the cars themselves. Regards Al
Old 06-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts
I'm with 9... Let's create that 'Rate Your Porsche Dealer' site. Someone?
Old 06-05-2003, 04:55 PM
P-seller
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys, I ve refrained from posting in this topic, becuase obviously, I could be considered biased.....lol But I wanted to contribute a few things.

I see lots of comments about contacting PCNA, and the frustration of those that have, but the reality is, that here in America, the dealers are independent, and can pretty much do(or not do) whatever they want.

A lot of how your relationship with your dealer progresses is in your direct control. It's like anything else. You have to say, what you want, or let them know how to best serve you.

Our Porsche customers are generally the happiest, easy go lucky customers in our store.

Like the Bartender at your favorite bar, or at the club, who knows exactly how you like your drink, and has it waiting for you by the time you saddle up to the bar, those relationships are cultivated and based on mutual respect. It's not that much different in a Porsche service department.

For our Customers, The ones who PURCHASE from us, We provide Porsche loaners on request, We've arranged(or offered)for service pick-up and delivery. Some customers are content to ride a shuttle, others arent.

We go to their houses and help them with their hardtops on cabs, we've stored them here at our dealership, and for customers in need of Roadside assistance during business hours, we've even met the customer before the truck arrives, gave them our loaner, and waited for, and rode back with the roadside guy.

The key is, imo like any other establishment/customer relationship, is stating what you need to be happy, and also mutual respect.

Simply driving a Porsche, purchased elsewhere, while you live in town, is not likely to win you any "special" treatment.

The guy who lives in Chicago, but uses frequent flier miles to fly to Florida and save 1,500 on a car, really has no right to badmouth a dealer who is saving his resources for serving customers who actually bought from them.

The standards for customer care are laid out by the manufacturer. If the dealers want to do more, it comes out of their pockets. Most dealers dont mind going above and beyond, but you have to ask them, and then usually the deciding factor is, How good a customer are you? Bringing your car in for warranty work doesnt count.

Do you use the service dept? Did you buy here? Would you buy here? Do you know people that can/might/would buy here? Will you recommend the dealer?

Or badmouth him, all the while driving his car?

Those are all questions to ponder when complaining about service.

It surprising how much a positive attitude can affect the situation as well. Next time youre in for service, Chat with the service advisor for a few minutes. Introduce yourself, ask a few questions. These guys have great memories, and you might find the next time you come for service, they call you by name. Like at the club.

When you make your appointment, ask for a Porsche service loaner, if you need it. Around here, we schedule appointments based on availability of service loaners. If youre OUR customer, and just pop in, I can usually round up something good to drive.

If you just pop in , with your car you bought somewhere else, our loaners are likely to be loaned to our customers, and you'll get exactly what youre supposed to get.

Finally, at the top of this thread, a guy mentioned bieng given a buick or something to drive while the Cayenne was in for some unexpected service. This might be too late to help, but never, ever,leave till youre satisfied.

I wouldve had a hard time, driving off in a buick from a dealer that I had just purchased a Cayenne from. They got him a Boxster later, but It simply wouldve been unacceptable to me, and I wouldve spoken with the dealers general manager, and simply asked for another Cayenne to drive, or at the very least, another Porsche.

Porsches, as y'all know, are very sophisticated machines. Things can and will go wrong from time-to-time. If the dealer doesnt seem "ALARMED" enough becuase your car has been in twice for the same thing or whatever, it doesnt mean that they think customers dont matter, or youre not worthy, or they dont care about you, but they see broken cars everyday, and that routineness may come across as aloofness or lack of concern for the customer. If you dont speak up, they'll never have a chance to build a relationship with you, and give you the full on Porsche owner experience.

If you act like everything is ok, or that youre satisfied, is it any wonder, that the dealer would just leave it at that? They arent mind reader, and everyones expectations are different. To get EXCEPTIONAL service out of your dealer. It helps to tell them exactly what you want.
Also, just like the maitre d at your favorite restaurant, who was snobby at first, but is now on your xmas card list, some good ole fashioned patronage, will help build a realtionship also.

Peace
While you guys flame me
PS
Old 06-05-2003, 08:38 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts
My .02.....I have owned Porsches for 36 years and have used Independent P shops for any work that I didn't do myself. I wanted to take my 993 C2S, that i just bought 5 months ago, to a Porsche Dealership for the 15K service. We don't have a P dealership in Arkansas, so I drove to Boarwalk in Dallas. I could not have been treated better! Everyone from my service advisor to the woman that worked in the "goodie dept", sales reps in the showroom, that wanted to know all about my car and about where I lived, the girl that arranged a loaner car, on and on....could not have been more enthusiastic about their dealership and the cars they sell AND the customers that were there either shopping for a new Porsche or just having their older Porsche serviced. I drove home feeling impressed and lucky I picked this particular dealer. I might be in a minority here, but that was my experience. I will not hesitate to go to Boarwalk again and highly recommend them to anyone.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

P-Sellers quote:

"Like the Bartender at your favorite bar, or at the club, who knows exactly how you like your drink, and has it waiting for you by the time you saddle up to the bar, those relationships are cultivated and based on mutual respect. It's not that much different in a Porsche service department.

For our Customers, The ones who PURCHASE from us, We provide Porsche loaners on request, We've arranged(or offered)for service pick-up and delivery. Some customers are content to ride a shuttle, others arent."

P-Seller, I appreciate your reconciliation efforts. I think you have to realize when someone pays a large amount that is above the norm
for a car they assume that the manufacturer will appreciate the purchase with good service.

MBZ & Porche forced dealers to build new facilities for new product. The American dealers should manage their dealerships better.

A Porche is great, but an impractical car. The have been toys for people with money. Porche has been trying to break out of that cycle for years.

After the dotcom burst, the sales of these vehicles are dropping like a rock.

Cayenne is the most practical car they have built, for people with diverse interests. The sales have been great so far, but JD Powers may ding the hell out of Porche and it will hurt you. There are going to be lots of problems with this car and how Porche handles them will affect sales.

I know because I'm a Buyer - but I'm reading these threads before I decide...
Old 06-06-2003, 12:18 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts
Torags..... It's spelled P O R S C H E !!!
Old 06-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
P-Seller, It sounds like you are not only part of a good dealership, but enthusiasts as well - I only wish your like existed near me.

The frustrating part (especially if you have experience running an organisation as I suspect many of as do) is that there seems to be to many dealers that are not good and are not enthusiastic about all Porsches. If I were IC the worldwide Porsche distributorships I would not be a happy bunny.......
Old 06-06-2003, 06:19 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

You're write RJT993 it is spelled Porsche...
Old 06-06-2003, 07:43 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
p-seller, well said. i have owned 6 different porsches over the last 17 years, 4 of which purchased from the same salesman. i am also a physician, and treat my patients similar to how you outline. i give everyone good care, but those patients who refer me other patients, who are nice people, and who have good insurance get the best service. they all get good care, but those patients get it with a bow on top. and you know what, every business person, no matter what their product is, does the same thing. i think that your review of dealer procedures will be a useful review to those board members who feel that they are getting less than good service. if they understand what motivates the dealer to provide good service, they can do things that reinforces that kind of behavior from their dealer. sum it up like this-everyone on american airlines flight 665 gets to st.thomas, but the people who pay most/fly most sit up front and have the biggest seats and the best food.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:09 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

p-seller,

Forgive me for being so direct, but if you do work for Bluegrass (which I suspect you do, given the Kentucky / Indiana moniker), you should know that your service department is not held in high regard by many Kentucky PCA enthusiasts. They go there only as a last resort.

For the record, I've bought two cars from Bluegrass in Louisville. Despite this, we've consistently suffered from a lack of service after the sale. I can promise you that we've never bitched about anything while there, and have never been anything but polite and low maintenance when visiting. Even paid full MSRP for the '03 Range Rover, without so much as a moment of haggling on the price. So, if we can't get great service, who can?

Want some details? The Range Rover portion of the Bluegrass dealership has, to date, been unable to program our keys so that the seats assume the proper position for my wife and I, depending on the key used (many Rennlisters have been able to have their respective dealers do this for them). When my wife recently took the car with 5,000 miles to the dealer for an oil change (and installation of a $400 - 500 trailer hitch), the mechanic forgot to put the oil cap back on, leading to a nice explosion of oil under the hood on the 70-mile drive home.

Three: before the sale, the dealer's sales manager repeatedly offered to deliver the car to us (after the initial purchase) or pick it up from us for servicing. Unfortunately, there's always a litany of excuses why "we can't get to it this at this time", and we have come to realize it ain't gonna happen. Please realize that it was something we never asked for and never expected, but it was bragged about, as you have done - to make a sale?

Fourth: whenever we have called to inquire about any detail pertaining to our car, we are told that they are too busy to speak with us, and will call us back when time allows. Unfortunately, the call never comes.

I could give you just as many specific examples about the Porsche arm of Bluegrass.

Interestingly, you seem to feel that certain customers deserve a better level of service than others. In my medical practice, we don't distinguish between patients who simply need a rash treated (pays pretty poorly) or those that need major facial surgery for skin cancer (pays well). Medicaid patients receive the same attention and compassion as those with the best private insurance. Is it too much to ask that a car dealer treat everyone with the same level of service and respect, regardless of where they purchased the car?

If you don't work for Bluegrass, forgive me for the rant.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:45 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts
Docs/hospitals not distinquishing between Medicaid and private. That's funny. Most I know just won't see the Medicaid any more. The oil cap was unfortunate accident. I am just happy when my dealer squeezes me in at the last minute for services due to my hectic schedule. I guess I ought to ask them to come pick it up since I have now bought 5 cars from them with the last being in the 150k range.

Might not be fair to p-seller though to lump him in with Range Rover if he doesn't work with the Range Rover division. I actually called Blue Grass Porsche to see what kind of deal they would cut me and what they had on their lot/coming in since my dealer's allocation of 996 TTs is pretty scarce. They seemed attentive and called me back to see if I found what I was looking for.

I do agree that giving crappy service because you did not buy your car from them is annoying. I have heard from associates that the local Bimmer dealer will keep their car for a week sometimes just to service it (without providing a loaner) for those individuals that did not purchase from them. What about those individuals that just moved here and need servcing. They don't discriminate from what I understand.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:26 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

doug, you are correct. most docs shun medicaid, as the only way to care for them and pay your bills is to see 10 patients per hour, which is bad medicine. i am an internist, and would recieve about $10 for a medicaid visit-it is hard to spend 15 minutes at $40/hr when your bills/insurance costs are 6 times that amount. i fully agree, it sucks if a dealer abuses you because you didn't buy your car there. if i am correct, i believe that a large percentage of their income comes from the service dept. if they treat you poorly, i would find another dealership that understands the appropriate relationship which p seller outlines. i also have a land rover, and i find that many of their dealers don't live up to those standards.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:30 PM
P-seller
User

Anir......Im not trying to say our service department is all that, and I dont have anything to do with Rover sales or service. But as far as Porsche service we try.......and contrary to what you might belive, were are in the top three in our region.

It just that youve posted several posts badmouthing your local dealer(us). It doesnt seem like you had a chance to develop a relationship
with your sales and service guys. If you were my customer, (and not a total jerk), I would take care of you. Infact, I still will, next time youre in for service, look me up. I'd like to meet you.

While its PC to think that all customers should be treated the same, the reality is, you cant treat all customers the same. Some want more. Some want less. Some dont care.

This may surprise you, But I am in Lexington at least once a week. Picking up customer cars, mostly. I have a large physician client base in lexington. I've sold three Cayenne turbos to lexington, GT2, 911's, Boxsters, and numerous Audi's and SAABS in just the last 12 months.

A lot of how your ownership experience goes really depends on the realtionship between you , and your dealer, and also you and your sales person. You actually have contributed to your dis-satisfaction by "not bitching" while you were there. Like I said earlier, you gotta tell them what you want.

Its real easy to call all sales people sleazy or non caring or whatever, but other than the oil cap thing, you havent described any problem that couldnt be taken care of by a good relationship with a professional sales person.

As a sales person, I make my living largely on comission. I've been retailing Porsches for over 12 years. I didnt mean to imply that some customer DESERVE a better level of treatment than others, I meant to state that some customer WILL get a better level of treatment than others. The customers that take enough time to get involved in the whole process, and dont make the price the largest concern.

I'm not a physician, but I am a professional, and my time, since I work on commission, is very valuable to me. The customers that understand that, and allow me to make a living, will get my undivided attention, before, and as some of you are figuring out, AFTER the sale. When it is the most important.

Anir, you drive a 993 turbo right? Did it come from here? lets just say it didnt. When you come in for service, What will you be expecting? It's out of warranty, so any kind of loaner vehicle you might get, the dealer is paying for, wether its a buick or a boxster.

If you didnt buy it from us, I think it's a little presumptious to ask us to shuttle it back and forth for you. Thats what I meant when I implied that customers who purchase from a dealer might get better treatment.

Same car, different guy, who bought from us....."hey PS, my 993 turbo needs service."

PS "great! have you made your appoinment yet? or you want me to make one for you" What are you going to have done? What's your schedule like?
You want me to come get it? or are you planning to be in town?.

As a sales person, I have a choice. A guy that has bought from me before, will get the option of me picking up his car. If I do pick up his car, lets say at the hospital, Im going to bring him a cayenne to drive. Simply cause its new, he might not know he wants one till he drives it, But more importantly, it demonstrates a level of service not normally found in the car business. Plus, I COULD end up making a sale. Either to my customer, or to one of his associates. Either right now, or possibly later. At the very least, it shows I care, helps foster relationships, makes him feel special, and exposes my product to people other than him who can presumably afford it.

As far as PCA enthusiasts........This may **** some of you guys off, but the sad truth is the PCA guys rolling around in 914's and 944's, and 80's 911's, dont support our dealership in any way.

They dont use our service department, Like Anir says, they badmouth the dealer, they dont BUY any cars, But yet were suppsed to advertise in their newsletters, and be concerned with what the members think about us.

We've tried to build a realtionship with them, over the years. I enrolled the president of the local club, in the club three years ago. When I sold him his 996 coupe. I've written articles for the newsletter, and last year we took four of our cars, and two technicians to a PCA event 120 miles away. I would like to do more with our local PCA club, but the realtity is,

They are PCA enthusiasts, not customers for $90,000 C4 cabs. So forgive me if I'm not all alarmed at what our reputation is among PCA members. I've never heard of a dealrship that DID have a good realtionship with PCA members.

Thanks for the nice word Doug. Believe it or not, we actually sell cars all over the country. I have personally sold cars to Alaska, California, florida , new york, pretty much every state in the country other than hawaii. We try to be attentive, and when I first started working here, we werent allowed to give numbers over the phone. Now the incoming phone call is a vital part of our business. I've even sold some cars to memphis..... The point is no dealer will ever please everybody, but some do try. You have to do YOUR part though and let them know how they can TRY to please you.

Peace
PS

Quick Reply: Porsche NA and their delaers