Sponsored by:

Third party CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 12:13 PM
DSL 4U
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Third party CD Changer

I am interested in getting a compatible CD changer for the Cayenne. I did not order one from the factory and would prefer to leave to NAV CD in the dash unit. I have read that Harmon Becker makes the actual unit but I can't seem to find it in North America.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:00 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is a real sore point for the Cayenne. They want 1200+ at the dealer, and none are available. I have gone to every internet and local audio shops and no one is able to get this Becker unit. I think it is called the CDC-4. What differentiates this from other changers is that the unit communicates through fiber optics to the head unit, Becker calls this the MOST system. I am still waiting for my dealer to find out when they are going to be available. I had asked a similar question to yours earlier on this forum and learned what I am telling you above. The other thing that I learned is that Porsche has used special Porsche only models from Becker in the past and we, the Porsche owner, can only purchase them through the dealer at a ridiculous cost. Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:45 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts
You know, Mercedes used to use the Becker changer products in their mid-90's cars. We had a 95 C36 that was "wired" for a Becker analog changer. What we found out was that the Alpine changers could be used as a substitute for the Becker unit.

I relate this story because I have an Alpine setup in my 930 and it uses an optical connection back to the Alpine headunit. Current Mercedes units also use the fiber/optical connections. I wonder if the optical Alpine units would work?

Does anyone have any details on the changer unit? Also, the list on the changers when installed on a new car (the dealer does it, not the factory - just like Mercedes) is about $750 or so. My changer was back-ordered when I took delivery of my Cayenne 1 week ago. I checked yesterday and it is in and I am scheduled to drop the "C" off on Tuesday for the install.

I'll see if I can get more details on the unit and post back here on this thread.

Toby
Old 04-19-2003, 12:36 PM
ngfan
Instructor

As Cay-ute already mentioned, this topic has been <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=000344" target="_blank">discussed here</a> but with no satisfying outcome.

Unfortunately I haven't found any more specific info on that topic so far. I just scrapped the prewiring option from my order and went for the factory-mounted CD changer instead as it "only" costs $450 more over here. The reason is that I still fear the possibility of incompability between Becker OEM products and their original hardware (heard of some of these connectivity problems on other boards concerning Becker-equipped Sony and JVC nav radios with Becker changers). To get some better info on that issue I will contact an angel inside Porsche Zuffenhausen and call the Becker hotline on Tuesday.

Happy Easter!
Old 04-22-2003, 05:43 AM
ngfan
Instructor

Angry

Just called my angel at Porsche factory in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. According to his info the only third party CD changer which might work with PCM II is the latest Becker CD changer ( <a href="http://www.becker.de/beckerCC21/www_root/ar03/templates/xxxxxAr03Produktdarstellung.jsp?language=En&doFlash=yes&organisation=001 &navSeq=91" target="_blank">Becker Silverstone 7860</a> ) which needs some additional adaptor cables (not yet available ) for connection. But I am still waiting for confirmation from Becker. All other CD changers (Sony, Blaupunkt, Alpine etc.) will most likely see compatibility problems and won't work. Therefore, he highly recommends to order the factory-mounted CDC-4 CD changer.
And yes, the same here, no release date for the sports seats...
Old 04-22-2003, 08:01 AM
ngfan
Instructor

...well, I just received the following info from Becker:

Becker CD changers are NOT compatible with PCM II. Only the original Porsche CDC-4 changer will work!

Yeap, Porsche always knew how to squeeze the most out of its customers...
Old 04-22-2003, 08:54 AM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, one might think that the CD changer would be BOSE brand... (they mainly do speakers but...)
Old 04-22-2003, 08:56 AM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, also my dealer told me that the cabling needed to install that CD changer do not exist in cars without the CD changer. And there is no kit available yet.

They were going to do a swap from one Cayenne to another but they couldn't.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:23 AM
ngfan
Instructor

The same here, you have to order the prewiring option to retrofit a CD changer (code 7A1).
Old 04-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts
Interesting in that my Cayenne S was pre-wired for the changer without any additional option specification. I checked the right rear compartment before I took delivery of the car and the power and fiber optic connectors were there as was the actual changer mount. I checked the sticker and delivered options and there was no changer ordered.

My Cayenne is in at Park Place today to have the changer installed. I should get it later today and will let all know what I can find out.

I wonder if all US cars are pre-wired for the changer???

Toby
Old 04-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Toby, what do the power and fiber optic connections look like? I too have the mounting bracket for the CD Changer, and there is some kind of plug back there but I, and my not so well informed dealer, can not tell if these are the right connections. I'd appreciate any info that you could provide.

Cay-Ute

Quick Reply: Third party CD Changer