Name:  4d956977.jpg
Views: 2572
Size:  132.8 KB
Old 04-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I am no expert but there is almost certainly something stuck between your brake pad and rotor to cause that kind of score. I don't think you have much of a choice. Remove the brake pads and look at them. The crack is bad so I would replace them anyway. You may be able to get your rotors resurfaced but it may be too late. I would look online for replacement pads and rotors. I replaced mine with powerslot rotors and EBC pads and they are great. Way quieter and less dusty than oem and even though I get the occasional squeal a good hose off every three days keep the noise in check which was not the case with oem. Good luck
Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 PM
AdMan21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to take it in for an inspection next week, hopefully I can just resurface that rotor and remove whatever debris is causing it. I talked with my brother, who is a tech but lives 4 hours away, and he said it looks like somehow something is stuck between or there is a defect with the pads. I'll keep everyone who's interested posted on my findings.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

just as a point of reference... so did Alpha and Beta owners.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Back in the old days when using newly introduced metallic pads, it was not unusual to find a chunk of brass factory-molded into the pad causing scoring.

Gawd I feel old...
Old 04-29-2012, 05:49 PM
AdMan21
Racer

Andy- My brother is 28 and he said the same thing about the metallic pads...hopefully that makes you feel better!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 PM
AdMan21
Racer

update...took the P!G to an indy shop..he said there may be a defect in the pad, but wont know until he gets it out. Went ahead and got new hawk ceramics for the front, along with rotor resurface..will have mystery solved Wed.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:39 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hawk Dustless Pads = permanent solution, end of story....
Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Some of the factory pads have internal brass pins instead of external rivets in addtion to bonding to help bond the material to the backing plates. They won't scream like a metal rivet does when they end up hitting the rotors but they can do some rotor damage. I don't believe in resurfacing rotors, you end up removing more material which cuts down on the heat sink of the rotor and they are more likely to warp the next time. If you do make sure they follow the manufacturers instructions on Min. Rotor thickness though as that is a spec that corresponds to the Piston extension in the calipers too.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:44 PM
AdMan21
Racer

pad dampening weights were the culprit. I guess the pads that were on there were junk. One weight was loose. While one completely fell off.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:51 PM
r6bruin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Little Green
I replaced mine with powerslot rotors and EBC pads and they are great. Way quieter and less dusty than oem and even though I get the occasional squeal a good hose off every three days keep the noise in check which was not the case with oem. Good luck
Just wondering, are the powerslot rotors and EBC pads provides same stopping power?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:44 PM
scorleo
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by GTS Jay
That's not uneven wear you're seeing - the pads are chamfered like that purposely. Based on the picture it looks like the thickness is fine and the rotors look good too, but hard to tell for sure. The is a bit concerning but doesn't look like a big deal. Assuming they are in fact fairly new (both pads & rotors) I'd recommend cleaning the brakes thoroughly with brake cleaner and then bedding them in again using the Zeckhausen procedure (or something similar - there are a few). That should fix the squealing issue if done properly. If it doesn't I'd suggest taking the pads out and inspecting them to make sure they were installed correctly and perhaps clean off the backs and use new anti-squeal compound if Porsche recommends using that. If it's not recommended, then just clean them up and reinstall based on the Porsche recommended procedure. That'll also give you a chance to really check out that crack too. And finally, if they're not OEM pads or rotors see if you can figure out what they are and make sure they're a good brand. If not, you may want to consider changing them to OEM or another proven brand. Good luck & let us know how you make out!
Thanks for the tip. We had squeaky breaks since we replaced our brake pads 8+ months ago and couldn't figure what was going on. Followed Zeckhausen bedding procedure to the T and squeaking is gone. Unsure if this is a temporary solution or permanent, let's hope this permanent until the next replacement. Interestingly the original pads that came with Cayenne in '12 did not have this issue, rear pads weren't replaced and they don't squeak and only the front did.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:45 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scorleo
Thanks for the tip. We had squeaky breaks since we replaced our brake pads 8+ months ago and couldn't figure what was going on. Followed Zeckhausen bedding procedure to the T and squeaking is gone. Unsure if this is a temporary solution or permanent, let's hope this permanent until the next replacement. Interestingly the original pads that came with Cayenne in '12 did not have this issue, rear pads weren't replaced and they don't squeak and only the front did.
Performance brakes tend to squeek after the car is used gently. The referenced procedure fixes that, but the squeek will come back is the car is driven gently.

The ceramic pads will fix that, but are not the best choice for race track use.

Quick Reply: Brakes squeal like a P!G