Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning valve body and TCM replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:29 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

any updates I am pursuing a few options locally..........wondering if going to tranny shop is still a good idea?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm still mulling my choices.. leaning towards buying a rebuilt unit, buying fluid/filter/seals, and having a transmission shop do the valve body replacement and transmision service... then taking it to a porsche dealer to have the transmission control unit reflashed to the latest version software.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Orantes
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a shudder in 3rd. Kind of like the transmission is "labouring" and crying out for a downshift that doesn't come. If I downshift using the tiptronic it goes away. Only happens when the transmission is under load, like on a slow hill climb. It is a loud shudder and vibration. Has anyone experienced this?

BTW, i replaced my cardan shaft two months ago after mine failed so it's not that. I am familiar with the cardan shaft shudder. In true Cayenne style, this is a brand new problem I haven't had before. Like many, I get only a few months grace between issues!

Does this sound valve body related or am I barking up the wrong tree. I've searched the forum yet can't find a definitive answer.

I have a 2004 Cayenne S.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:41 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Wondering about transmission mount.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:48 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Worn or collapsed transmission and engine mounts will transmit vibes through the chassis.

I believe the Cayenne S can have them changed without removing the engine.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Orantes
Racer

Thanks endless_corners and bigbuzuki, I appreciate your replies! I'll put the Caynne up on the hoist and check out the mounts this weekend. If this is the answer (and it sounds fesaible to me), I'll start a new thread - I guess mounts are getting a little off topic for a valve body/TCU thread! Thanks again for your replies.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Cuba - where is the closing post?? Parts list...?

Endless - I'm waiting on you to go first on this!

Let's all jump on the count of three...
Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Been doing a lot of reading and it sounds like I have to jump on this...
Old 02-21-2013, 02:47 PM
CooperH
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cuba - where is the closing post?? Parts list...?

Endless - Did you get this done? any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Cuba
Instructor

http://www.revmaxconverters.com/valv...lacements.html

I never got the official parts list unfortunately, my tech never sent it and he moved apparently. What I needed was a new valvebody and corresponding TCM from Porsche and transmission fluid. As I recall the parts total was around $1500. I would just call your local dealership service department and get a quote from them, if they don't know what you're talking about I would worry.

After about a year I guess it's still good, no scary clunks or anything but I do seem to have some play in the driveline at slow speeds when going from no load to load. Pretty sure it's the original driveshaft though the transmission seems perfectly fine.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:25 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I am taking the family to hawaii instead of doing stuff to the car LOL. I just manually shift from 5-4 by back off the gas and can avoid the clunk 9 times out of 10. Supposedly its not that bad for things so for now I am living with it...
Old 02-28-2013, 03:04 PM
johnarusso
Advanced

A couple of tips having just lived through this saga. The best way to avoid the TCU upgrade and a whole lot of other insanity is to have your original VB rebuilt and re-install it.

If your VB is old enough and you buy the Porsche part, it will be a newer upgraded part compared to your original one, and this will trigger the need for the TCU upgrade. Porsche does not supply the older version of the part. Somewhere in 2005 was the cutoff.

I used Sun Belt Valve Body Builders in Fla (sunbeltvalvebodies.com) Fabian really is a solid guy and provided excellent service. The round trip shipping is the worst thing about it (from Northern CA) $30 and 4-5 days ground each way. But Fabian can turn it around quickly for you and has good prices.

Good luck everyone. I plan to write thread on my experience with this whole VB issue as there is a lot of mis-information out there and these things are now starting to fail in large numbers. Feel free to PM me if I can answer any questions for you. If you are going to do it yourself, do yourself a favor and spend $30 on the O9D service manual from ATSG.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnarusso
A couple of tips having just lived through this saga. The best way to avoid the TCU upgrade and a whole lot of other insanity is to have your original VB rebuilt and re-install it.

If your VB is old enough and you buy the Porsche part, it will be a newer upgraded part compared to your original one, and this will trigger the need for the TCU upgrade. Porsche does not supply the older version of the part. Somewhere in 2005 was the cutoff.

I used Sun Belt Valve Body Builders in Fla (sunbeltvalvebodies.com) Fabian really is a solid guy and provided excellent service. The round trip shipping is the worst thing about it (from Northern CA) $30 and 4-5 days ground each way. But Fabian can turn it around quickly for you and has good prices.

Good luck everyone. I plan to write thread on my experience with this whole VB issue as there is a lot of mis-information out there and these things are now starting to fail in large numbers. Feel free to PM me if I can answer any questions for you. If you are going to do it yourself, do yourself a favor and spend $30 on the O9D service manual from ATSG.

Wow thank you!!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:14 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

I called a local tranny shop, looks like they want me to spend 400 bucks to get the fluid flushed and replaced......I told them absolutely not unless its a credit on the valve body rebuild when that becomes the real issue if symptons persist.

Anyone else got this issue wth transmission shops?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

how do you avoid not changing the fluid... doesnt a lot of it come out when you drop the pan to get to the valve body? Besides if you havent done a transmission service it is a good time to do one. Perhaps if you supply your own fluid and filter it will be cheaper.

Quick Reply: Planning valve body and TCM replacement