Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear aluminum piece loose. What holds it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Rear aluminum piece loose. What holds it?

Just noticed after washing the P!G that the rear aluminum panel piece is loose and came off. This piece is outside of the vehicle, over the rear bumper and right next to the rear hatch door when closed.

I pushed the piece back in but am not sure if it will hold for long. How does the piece stay? glue? double sided sticky tape? I want to fix this before it flies when driving at 80mph and killing the tailgater...

any ideas? thanks....
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2005 .. and it is held on with clip type things. Maybe you lost or broke one of the clips, or it just needs to be pushed in.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
I have a 2005 .. and it is held on with clip type things. Maybe you lost or broke one of the clips, or it just needs to be pushed in.
funny, washing the GTS today and i was wondering how that was attached. i was thinking of painting it.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:09 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the 08+ are glued on with sprung edges
Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The rear bumper cover trim panel is made from stainless-steel that is bonded to a polymer core. The core is then attached to the top of the bumper cover with 5 or 6 metal spring clips.

It's rare that the core becomes detached from the bumper cover however, it's very common for the stainless-steel panel to become un-bonded from the core as it has happened to me. The dealer is aware of this problem and covers the replacement part and labour to replace under warranty; requiring disassembly of the cover from the rear end of the vehicle.

This gave me the opportunity to have the core sanded with very fine water paper and painted a semi-mat black (similar to the wndshield wiper arms).
Old 03-04-2012, 02:52 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So the answer is that there are at least 3 ways depending on model and year
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

There were no clips under the trim, so I just pushed it good yesterday. I tried to remove the steel trim today but I think it is stuck good for now. Does not feel loose as it did before. I will keep an eye on it tomorrow... maybe it will loosen after a drive to work. If it does, I will most likely get some double sided sticky tape and fix it. Or I can put a strip of duct tape across it to hold it to the bumper ;-) Can't take it to the dealer since I am naked.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

The stainless-steel trim piece is pressure-fit to the polymer core. If it does pop out, you will have a very hard time getting it to fit back on without using a clamp of some sort to keep the pressure constant while the glue sets. 3m automotive double-side tape may or may not work depending on application temperature as well as the actual thickness of the foam.

By the way, the Porsche dealer claims that delamination can only happen when your rear bumper gets lightly "bumped" in a parking lot...
Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Jroy
2nd Gear

Hi,

Is there a simple way to replace that part? Mine is all scratched up and seriously looks like someone dropped some acid or something on it. ( How it came when I bought it).
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM
tomphot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Andy E.
By the way, the Porsche dealer claims that delamination can only happen when your rear bumper gets lightly "bumped" in a parking lot...
Earlier in this thread, you said that the repair is covered under warranty - as they also seem to say that the delamination is a result of being bumped, do you think that this is easily done?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 PM
ddunwood
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Jroy
Hi,

Is there a simple way to replace that part? Mine is all scratched up and seriously looks like someone dropped some acid or something on it. ( How it came when I bought it).
+1 I bought my '08 Turbo 3 months ago, and mine has a bunch of minor dings in it. I told myself I would replace it right away, but I'm having trouble finding the part # in the PET, as well as whatever clips I would need.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomphot
Earlier in this thread, you said that the repair is covered under warranty - as they also seem to say that the delamination is a result of being bumped, do you think that this is easily done?
This is what the dealer claims however, looking at the part in question and how it is "press-fit" into the polymer core, I find their claim unfounded since I have no marks on my bumper cover showing where impact may or may not have resulted.

Proof in the pudding is a dire attempt in trying to refit the trim piece back onto the core where the tolerances are just too tight to allow this to happen.

It seems to be a common issue with this component as the dealer has no qualms on replacing it under warranty.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:41 PM
igoping
AutoX

I know what piece you are talking about as I have it on my '06 CS. My '13 GTS doesn't have it and I already have 3 scuff marks from people dragging their luggage from my trunk. I wish there was some sort of after-market piece I can put on that serves the same function as that metal piece on the Gen 1 Cayennes.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:46 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has also popped off on my '08 Cayenne Turbo. Seeing as I am out of the warranty period, I am planning on glueing it back in.

I was thinking about leaving the tailgate open, and propping in a couple of 2x4's (that I have cut to the right length) in order to hold it in place while the glue dries.

Have any of you tried glueing it back? And if yes, what glue did you use? (I am thinking of simply using contact adhesive)
Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 AM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

I just took mine out and put it away in the garage. Didn't want to lose it or falling off when driving at 80 mph and hitting a car or worse, someone on a motorcycle behind.

Quick Reply: Rear aluminum piece loose. What holds it?