Sponsored by:

Looking for advice for summer wheels/tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Power Play
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice for summer wheels/tires

Have been loving my Meteor Grey 2012 Cayenne S all winter up here in snow country but am looking forward to Spring and dry roads.

Presently have 19 inch Cayenne Design II wheels with all-season Michelins. Would like to keep these as winter "shoes" and get something more aggressive and elegant for the summer months.

Top on my list at this point is the 21 inch Turbo II wheel. Cost is around 8k with wheel arch extensions. Worried a bit about the ride quality and fragility of the rims at the car wash and with pot holes.

Second on the list is the 20 inch RS Spyder. Doesn't seem nearly as aggressive but perhaps is a bit more elegant than the Turbo II's; I suspect that the ride quality and durability would be better than the Turbo II's as well.

Open to any/all suggestions on wheels and tires. And thanks very much for a great forum!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Depending on where you are, I'd recommend real winter tires instead of the all-seasons. I have an "old" model GTS and the ride quality difference between the 21" and my 18" winter wheels is substantial. 20" might be a good compromise for the summer.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 895 Posts

I agree with Frank's comments about a proper winter tire as opposed to an all-season tire. I drop to 18s and run Michelin Latitude Alpins in the winter, and they are awesome. In the summer, I run 20" wheels and the ride quality doesn't suffer as much as you might think. It's a little more firm, but it isn't harsh. My last set of "summer" tires were the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. This is also an all-season tire. Part of me wants to switch back to a proper summer tire, but the DWS was so good that I'm having difficulty deciding. The N-Spec Continental SportContact that I had before weren't as good as the DWS. I'll probably stick with the DWS on my summer wheels.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:57 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

We own a 2004 Cayenne Turbo. We run 18's for the winter with Dunlop Winter Sports and 19's for the summer with Continental DWS's - the Conti's do not stick nearly as well as the old Pirelli's used to (P Zero Rosso's) but they wear alot longer and are great all around summer tiresand they are also great in the rain (for the driving we do). I stayed with 19's specifically for ride quality and the roads where we live are awful.

By comparison I drive a 2003 996 Turbo daily and Pirelli changed from the P Zero Assymetrico to a new P Zero Rosso - the new Pirelli's are awful in the rain and marginal in the dry and wear out 3 times faster the old Assymetrico's - it may be a new compound they are also using in the Cayenne tires and it is awful so buyer beware. I also am in the market for new 18" rims for the 996 Turbo and have veered away from the 19's due to ride quality issues on our roads - there alot more choices in 19's but the ride will be rough - not to mention I will be upgrading to GT 2 spec width.

Bottom line is diameter and rubber both make a difference - try a couple of test drives at your local dealer when you have some time - it will be a nice savings for you in the long run.

My 3 cents ahyway - good luck!!

T2
Old 02-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 895 Posts

I'm also shopping for summer tires for my 996. I agree with you that the Pirelli P Zero Rosso is disappointing. I went through a set of those very quickly and I won't buy them again. I'm leaning towards Michelin PS2s at this point. What are you thinking?

Sorry for the minor thread hijack...
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might like the 20" RS Spyder wheels. They are finished in a grey color that doesn't show the brake dust as much as silver wheels. I have been surprised how much I like them.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 AM
jerry joseph
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://
Here's a pic of my CT with the 20' Spyders
I usually have my suspension on low,which results in a firm ride that suits me just right
However,if I have some sensitive passengers,I raise the suspension one notch to 'Normal' to provide a cushier ride

Quick Reply: Looking for advice for summer wheels/tires