Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I didnt get a Cayenne Enigma's post (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Why I didnt get a Cayenne Enigma's post (LONG)

Engima Woman made a really good post on my decision to get a BMW X5M instead of a Cayenne. This is what he said:
First of all, congrats on your BMW.

Second of all, if you REALLY wanted a Cayenne, you would have found a way to get one. A dealership bending over backwards and a few % off of a car isn't enough for me to get it over the one I REALLY want, but that's me and that's why I'm not driving anything other than what I want.

Good luck with your car and my initial suggestion would have been to go with a slightly used '11 CTT, but there's always another time
He is right but I think this deserves abit of elaboration on what happened and a real idea of the effort Porsche made to get me into a Cayenne.

What he said would be EXACTLY right if the two car makes were playing the same game. First of all when I said I REALLY wanted a Cayenne, I dont mean that with the same passion I do when I say, I REALLY want a Carrera S or a GT3. They are trucks and they both drive like trucks. Niether one provokes the same passion I have for the 911. AND I have driven a 2006 X5 4.8iS for 5 years and I have been pretty damn happy. But this time I was determined to get a Cayenne S.
First Problem, Not much Stock. I am much more concerned about performance than gas milage so I just couldnt get excited about the Cayenne S Hybrid. The only guy who cared about selling me an S was Abby Normal FROM NEW ORLEANS!!!! SoCal INCLUDING MY OWN dealer was almost nonchalant about selling me one. EVEN thought I told them all I was a PORSCHE DIE HARD. INCLUDING my own dealer who sold me my 911! They (Bakersfield) didnt even call me back after 4 phone calls (the first two I asked for my old sales guy the 2nd two were messages for ANY sales guy!) So I got the idea since I was buying a 2011 X5M, I would do as Enigma suggested and look for a NEW 2011 Cayenne TT and see if Porsche would move maybe HALF as much as BMW was going to. AND I FOUND a NEW Cayenne 2011 Turbo that had very little if ANY options AGAIN at my own dealership in Bakersfield. Another call another no response. So I call ANOTHER Porsche Dealer and ask him if he had a 2011TT could he move on the price. And he says yup!!! But he had to make sure I hadnt had any communication with Bakersfield with that Cayenne TT. Not a problem, I have had ZERO conversation with them about ANY Cayenne. Though I tried pretty hard.
So this OTHER PORSCHE dealer gets back to me and says he can Come off the $107K Sticker price ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!! $ONE K!
This was the attitude I dealt with ALL OVER SoCal on trying to get either a Cayenne S or even moving up to a one year old still on the lot stripped Twin Turbo.
At this point I am getting tired of trying to infiltrate this club that doesnt seem to want to talk to me much. So I stayed with the deal I got with BMW, and maybe its because I have bought 4 cars there, that the sales manager there whipped out the best deal ASAP, with no begging no waiting, no issues, AND top dollar trade on my wifes 335i. AND to top it off, when I get there I notice the less expensive 2011 X5M has chrome wheels which really sets off the saphire black. I asked Ali, how much to get a set of wheels like THAT instead of the flat silver stock wheels. He says "Paul you want those?" I said "yea depending on the price" (they were $3700 on the MSRP of the less expensive X5M) He just looked at his associate and says "put those on Pauls X5M no charge" Just like that!
Put on, thrown in 20" 315s in the back and 20" 275s on the front.

So I hope you can see while I am a die hard Porsche guy, and I wanted to Consolidate my garage to all Porsches and I wanted only the S not the TT, I felt like from the beginning I am a salmon swimming upstream, like nobody wants my business. Either they (Porsche Dealers in SoCal) or too proud of their product or they are selling so many they dont feel like they have to put in the effort for even a 4 911's guy to get him a truck. The price on the X5M was $85K So that puts me SOLIDLY into the WELL equipped Cayenne S market and I couldnt even get a bite. ONE thousand off a 2011 TT was the ONLY number I could muster out of everyone besides Abby Normal of NEW ORLEANS!!!!! And God Bless him!!!
So I dont know what to do with this other than go to the dealer who has an equally nice product who treats me (as well as all the other customers of BMW of Bakersfield) like he REALLY wants to EARN my business. I DONT want to feel like I am just LUCKY to be able to own their product. I want to feel like they appreciate my business and oh BTW we would like you to COME BACK next time! Thats all I really wanted. But hey I think it worked out well for me, but I feel sad that I was shunned by my own family that I have worshipped since I was a 10 YO tike.
Oh well Long story, not much substance.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 AM
Liche90
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like they really wanted you to make a deal. But you have to kind in mind the dealers goal is to maximize their profits. in December they were advertising their 2011's to be 3.5k off without any negotiating. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=587376). I just think there is a reason why Porsche is in such high demand and dealers aren't willing to discount vs taking 15k off MRSP.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is another possible reason why Porsche isn't discounting like back in the Dr. W days....
Old 02-26-2012, 07:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Pops (EnigmaWmn) is a wise man ...
Old 02-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just having a hard time getting past

He is right.....
Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Personally, I blame Pops for the rising oil and gas prices, based on the amount of oil purchased to keep the Turbo P!g low oil indicator from coming on all the time
Old 02-26-2012, 10:03 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Engima Woman - He is right
Thank you, FINALLY, somebody gets it! I get no respect around here and might even make this into a signature

Originally Posted by ltc
I blame Pops for the rising oil and gas prices
Please don't make this a P&C topic. You know I don't participate in that section of RL
Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Engima Woman
I thought Wmn was short for William.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:18 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Divot
I thought Wmn was short for William.
That's just mens's locker room shower talk
Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
That's just mens's locker room shower talk
Shower fight scene from "Eastern Promises" was inspired by a true story. My story. But I prefer not to talk about it much...
Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Maybe we could blame the scarcity of Cayennes was well as oil and gas on "william"? Obama would jump on it since blaming Bush is no longer getting him very far
Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Shower fight scene from "Eastern Promises" was inspired by a true story. My story. But I prefer not to talk about it much...
Pops on the LIE.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 PM
tmoeller
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I think I'm happy about this?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Well besides the fact that we have established EnigmaWmn is right and what 993 BillW cant understand is where the equation falls apart is my passion for these trucks is not the same as it is for the 911. I would have stopped at nothing to get my 911, I would not have settled for a GTR.

But with the trucks it comes down the fact that if Porsche makes the hurdles high enough I am going to stop jumping, and THEN BMW comes along and says HEY you dont even have to JUMP over HERE! IN FACT we will GIVE you a SCOOTER CHAIR to let cruise around the dealership. They also know I am a sucker for horsepower. In my mind I still think the X5M is as a good looking truck as a Cayenne or better.
Then when you compare the X5M to the S for the same money it starts to become a no brainer. But
I still would have LOVED to have TWO Gold shields in my garage (oh Wait I have a 928 also).

But here is another example when we were doing the deal, The Sales manager told me I will do 24-25 on your 335i and we get there an the contract says 24. I told the financial guy NOPE ALI said 25. He Called Ali in, he says I did say that change it to 25K BadaBoom Bada Bing Done.
That was the ONe Thousand I could barely get from the Porsche dealer on the one YEAR old Cayenne TT
Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well besides the fact that we have established EnigmaWmn is right and what 993 BillW cant understand is where the equation falls apart is my passion for these trucks is not the same as it is for the 911. I would have stopped at nothing to get my 911, I would not have settled for a GTR.
edited....
Umm, that's not quite what has me befuddled ......

Quick Reply: Why I didnt get a Cayenne Enigma's post (LONG)