Best place to locate a Dension 500

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Tan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to locate a Dension 500

Hi chaps,

I wonder if you may be able to help me, I am having a Dension Gateway 500 dual FOT fitted and I need some advice about the best place to locate it.

My installer initially located it behind the PCM, but couldn't get it to work, we then read that as its a dual FOT it will need to have one connection to the car and a direct fibre connection to the CD changer using optional cable FOA1PO1. This does seam a lot of work to install, so my question is, can we install the Dension in the boot area?

The only complication is that I am also adding the BTA1500 Bluetooth unit, so will this work from the front?

Or is there a way to just use one FOT socket rather than both? I don't necessarily need to have the Dension and CD Changer working at the same time, but would like to be able to use the switch to change between them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tan
Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 AM
tmoeller
Intermediate

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...hlight=dension
Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Tan
Hi chaps,

I wonder if you may be able to help me, I am having a Dension Gateway 500 dual FOT fitted and I need some advice about the best place to locate it.

My installer initially located it behind the PCM, but couldn't get it to work, we then read that as its a dual FOT it will need to have one connection to the car and a direct fibre connection to the CD changer using optional cable FOA1PO1. This does seam a lot of work to install, so my question is, can we install the Dension in the boot area?

The only complication is that I am also adding the BTA1500 Bluetooth unit, so will this work from the front?

Or is there a way to just use one FOT socket rather than both? I don't necessarily need to have the Dension and CD Changer working at the same time, but would like to be able to use the switch to change between them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tan
Sounds like someone (your installer) doesn't know what they're doing. What is a FOT? Fiber-optic-termination? Clue me on this jargon..

You can use a single fiber connection pair without hooking up the CD changer. The connection to the MOST loop MUST be made in the correct input hole, and the switch settings have to be set to tell the GW500 that's how you want it to work.

If you want to have the CD changer (I did - and knowing what I do now, I wouldn't bother again) - the other MOST connection must be made to the correct connector on the GW500.

From memory - the central connector goes to the MOST loop that connects the amplifier, the DVD player for the navigation, etc. And the outside connector is used for the CD changer. (Since you have the install book - make certain my memory was correct.) IF these are plugged into the wrong hole on the GW500, it ain't gonna work, no way, no how..

AND if the switch isn't set right - same thing. Not gonna work. The diagram for the switch is sort of confusing.. Initially I had mine set wrong, but after scratching my head for a while and staring at the diagram, I changed one switch setting and it all started working.

The CD changer IS always removed from the loop.. and you must use the loop-termination they give you to close the gap in the fiber loop when you disconnect it from the back of the CD changer. This is a MUST.

If you were going to enable the CD changer with the GW500 - then you have to run a new pair of fiber from the changer to the GW500. A single length of the fiber they provide (they provide 2 lengths) WILL reach if you run it right. If you're going this route, let me know and I'll tell you how I ran it.

My GW500 is located under the dash, in an area behind the center console. There is a small area there that is fine to tuck it into. You can't really see it, but you can find it by feel (feel around under the dash from the right side up toward the firewall directly behind the PCM. It's a reasonable location for the cables going to the USB and iPod.. which I mounted in the center console bottom compartment. And my BT1500 mounted nicely on a cross-member behind the dash.

I made up a Y cable out of the short lengths of fiber and connectors that were provided with the GW500. This made it super easy to install the front fiber connections. I plugged one leg of the Y into the GW500, then I plugged the main fiber loop (that used to go to the PCM) into another Y branch. And the final Y branch plugged into the back of the PCM. Again - I made this up just using parts supplied with the kit.

NOTE: IT is REALLY IMPORTANT that the fiber is used in the correct direction. The MOST loop is NOT bi-directional. It only goes in one direction. Each component has an IN and an OUT connection - and each IN must be connected to an OUT and each OUT connects to an IN. The connectors have arrows on them showing which way the light is supposed to be travelling. Failure to observe this will result in the system not working.

Other people have put the GW500 in the rear instead of the CD changer. That's an easier install for the fiber and power once you take the entire rear of the luggage compartment apart (BTDT, don't intend to do it again) if you have a CD changer. If you don't have a CD changer and your car got "CD Prep" - then it's really easy to mount there. Doesn't sound like the case in your truck, you have a CD changer.

Why wouldn't I bother with the changer again? (1) it was a PITA to run the fiber, and somewhat costly (2) you can only use the changer by switching the GW500 (and in my case Bluetooth phone) out of the circuit. That sucks. (3) Every CD I own fit on a single 16GB $12 memory stick. Took some time to get them in the format (FreeRIP is a great tool to do this with), but that's a one time thing. Other people predicted I'd never use the changer - and they're right.

There is some info here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...lush-dash.html on what I did.

If your installer is still puzzled over MOST loop, I'd look for another one or DIY. It takes a bit of time, but bet I could do it in about 3 hours now.. since I know where to put everything.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Oh - more info at: https://rennlist.com/forums/9059845-post4.html
Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Tan
Intermediate

Thanks Don, i am going to take up your advice and not connect the CD changer, I guess if I really miss it then I can always get it connected back in later.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Tan
Intermediate

Is the Y cable that you made up essential or just a better way of setting it up?

Thanks

Tan
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Not essential, you can do it how they have you do it, but that involves taking the factory end on the MOST cables going to the PCM apart. I preferred to make it so I could remove the Denison stuff with the least fuss, so this makes it really unplug and play.. If I decide I'm trading the P!G in on a whim, I can remove the Dension stuff in probably about 1 hour easily.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Tan
Intermediate

The dension is now in and working, we chose to not use the CD changer and have put in a fibre loop at the second FOT and another loop in the fibre at the CD changer end.

If in the future I wanted the CD changer to work too, do I just remove the loop from the second FOT and run a fibre pair straight to the CD changer?

Many thanks

Tan
Old 02-24-2012, 12:20 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Tan,

That's basically it, but you also have to change one switch to tell it you have a changer. As I think I mentioned, it's pretty much a useless thing to do since you have to switch the entire Gateway out of the system to access the CD changer. It's like the GW500 was never installed.

Last night I spotted a $20 iPod (4th Gen-20GB "click" model) on Craigslist locally. Went and got it.. it was broken. Fixed it for $0 (reseated the hard-drive connector) and it's working fine. Hooked it up to the iPod interface on the GW500, and can't imagine why I'd ever need a CD in the car again. The 20GB holds 27 DAYS of music (about 4,000 tracks) and has room for another 2 months worth.

Nice part is - once I figured out how to switch the GW500 over to use the GW-iPod interface (where you control the iPod from the PCM, and get all the track info displayed) - you can make up "playlists" on the iPod and really customize your listening. The trick with the switch over - you have to select iPod GW from the source menu - using the right arrow key on the PCM, and then HOLD the arrow key down until it switches over. Once that's done it works great. Nice part is - it charges as it works, and I don't even have to see it (it's living in the bottom center console armrest compartment.)

It's even better then the USB stick solution (which is pretty good by itself..)

BTW - if you DO decide to hook up the changer, I have a spare set of fibers. They ship two sets with the fiber kit, and if you route it like I did, one set works fine and reaches (and major disassembly of the vehicle isn't necessary.) I'd let the 2nd set go pretty cheaply.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 AM
Tan
Intermediate

Thanks, whilst I probably will never use the changer, it may be good to have just in case. How much for the cable and would shipping to the UK be cost prohibitive?

Many thanks

Tan
Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Tan
Intermediate

Hi

Went to connect the BTA 1500 bluetooth adapter tonight and have hit more problems, when the BTA is in the whole stops working, any ideas?

Thanks

Tan
Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Not really. Do make sure the switch settings are correct. Not much to plugging in the adaptor that could get screwed up (unless you force the plug in wrong..)
Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Tan
Intermediate

The switches are right when there is no BTA, do you think the switches need a change or does the unit need a firmware update?

Regards

Tan
Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 AM
deilenberger
Banned

I'd have to dig out the owner's manual/installation manual..

OK, stuff to check:

1. Make sure the BTA-1500 is plugged into DP2, not DP1 on the GW500.

2. After connecting the BT-1500, turn the car off and wait for the blue light on the in/out of circuit switch to stop blinking.

3. If this fixes the turn-off problem.. then - if you press the "TEL" button after doing the above - what is displayed on the screen? If not - sounds like a defective BTA1500.

And it can't hurt to make sure you have the latest GW500 firmware loaded.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Tan
Intermediate

Thanks, will give it another try.

Quick Reply: Best place to locate a Dension 500