Sponsored by:

Good looking, high quality, reasonably priced lug bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:55 AM
GTS Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good looking, high quality, reasonably priced lug bolts

I'd like to get new lug bolts for my GTS but I really haven't been able to find any that I like and can afford. I've seen the titanium lugs which look fantastic but at $25 a pop they're way out of my range. Does anyone make stainless steel lug bolts? I'm not even sure if SS is an acceptable metal for lugs but I like the look of nicely finished stainless steel so I thought I'd throw that out there. I'm also considering black or chrome lugs which I've found but my first preference would be something affordable that at least resembles SS or titanium. I'd consider perhaps $150 or so a set but I'd have a hard time shelling out much more than that for 20 large screws. Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:03 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never seen a problem with the originals on the GTS or others.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:18 AM
GTS Jay
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcbit
Never seen a problem with the originals on the GTS or others.
Probably has to do with the climate where you live. I live in New England (Mass) and I bought my GTS used last October. The OEM lugs look to be painted silver but they are rusting a bit and look like hell. Most Porsches' lugs I see around here look the same or worse. I could probably get away with either painting mine again or just getting new OEM lugs as my GTS stays in a heated/AC garage most of the time now that I own it. That said, I'd just prefer a set of nice looking non-painted lugs. I LOVE the looks of the titanium lugs but again, I just can't fathom spending $25 a piece on them. As such, SS comes to mind but I don't think I've ever seen nice SS lugs before so I'm not sure if SS is even an appropriate material...
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ralph Boothe?

http://www.boothedesign.com/boltsstudslugs.html
Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Clean/repaint your existing ones. A common fix for the 993 black/aluminum lug nuts is to touch them up with Black (Permanent) Magic Marker.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM
GTS Jay
Instructor

Thanks guys. I did a bit of internet research and it sounds like SS in not the correct metal which explains why I've never seen them. I also came across these which look interesting...

http://www.mcgard.com/AutomotiveProd...gNuts/LugBolts

Looks like they're offered in both black & chrome, floating washers (like OEM) and a decent looking finish. Anyone have experience with these?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Considering the torque the bolts are tightened to - they have to be a high grade steel. I would be afraid of a stainless bolt stretching and eventually fracturing. Black paint would seem to be an answer. VW used to make little black plastic caps that slid over the fluted end of their wheel bolts.. I imagine those might fit ours..
Old 02-03-2012, 02:19 PM
KMCTT
Instructor

Stainless has a terrible habit of galling and can cause mega problems. if you look around you may be able to find a good used set of Tikore Ti bolts or maybe even a set of Poggipolini bolts. Although you will need spacers with the Poggipolini bolts. My buddy has the Tikore's on his 996 and they are really nice but a bit to bling like for me.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine are starting to look cruddy on their 2nd winter. The edges are showing signs of corrosion. I wouldn't mind buying a set for my 21" summers.

Jay, have you checked with Suncoast on the price of new OEM replacements?http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor..._WheelAcc.html

Quick Reply: Good looking, high quality, reasonably priced lug bolts