Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to purchase '04-'05 Cayenne Turbo - Need advice/help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:47 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question About to purchase '04-'05 Cayenne Turbo - Need advice/help.

Hey Guys,

I signed up here a while ago (2009) because I was interested in purchasing a pre-owned 997 but that never panned out (some day I will have one though!!). I ended up going a different route and got a new Audi Q7 at that time. Well, the lease is almost over on the Q7 so now I am planning to purchase a Cayenne Turbo. I am looking at 2004-2005 models. I think for my budget it looks more like 2004 but we shall see

I have a TON of questions, so please bear with me. Below are a few of them:

1) Is there any major reason to go for a 2005 over a 2004? Besides the fact that a 2005 would be 1 year newer?

2) What are the differences between 2004 and 2005 Cayenne Turbo?

3) I have read about the coolant tube issues as well as the cardan shaft problems. Is there any other common problems with these that I should be aware of/scared of?

4) I plan to hold onto this SUV for a while. I drive about 7,000 miles per year and take very good care of my cars. I am mechanically inclined and do just about all routine maintenance on all my cars myself (oil changes, filter changes, brakes/rotors/pads, spark plugs, etc...) I've also installed turbo kits, suspension kits, stereo systems, alarms++... My understanding is that these Cayennes seem to be pretty reliable as long as they are maintained properly. Is this a totally wrong assessment??

5) Is there any way to check what services/maintenance have been done through Porsche with the VIN of the vehicle? Are there any specific services that I should confirm have been done to it?

6) Say I pick up a 2004 with 80k to 100k miles what type of maintenance should I do right off the bat? Also, what should I do maintenance wise for the years to come? (Besides oil and filter changes)

I know with a used car outside of it's warranty it can be tricky... I am just looking for any advice or things to look for specifically on these Cayennes. I have a good friend that has owned many Porsches over the years and has been using the same excellent, independent Porsche mechanic for 15+ years. I plan to use the same mechanic if any issues do come up.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:06 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by gophaster
Hey Guys,

I signed up here a while ago (2009) because I was interested in purchasing a pre-owned 997 but that never panned out (some day I will have one though!!). I ended up going a different route and got a new Audi Q7 at that time. Well, the lease is almost over on the Q7 so now I am planning to purchase a Cayenne Turbo. I am looking at 2004-2005 models. I think for my budget it looks more like 2004 but we shall see

I have a TON of questions, so please bear with me. Below are a few of them:

1) Is there any major reason to go for a 2005 over a 2004? Besides the fact that a 2005 would be 1 year newer?
PCM 2.1 - DVD based vs CD based.
2) What are the differences between 2004 and 2005 Cayenne Turbo?
I think you might do some research on your own.. but there aren't huge differences.
3) I have read about the coolant tube issues as well as the cardan shaft problems. Is there any other common problems with these that I should be aware of/scared of?
Uhh.. you missed coils? Hatch struts? Rear wiper switch? Parking brake strut? Horns?

4) I plan to hold onto this SUV for a while. I drive about 7,000 miles per year and take very good care of my cars. I am mechanically inclined and do just about all routine maintenance on all my cars myself (oil changes, filter changes, brakes/rotors/pads, spark plugs, etc...) I've also installed turbo kits, suspension kits, stereo systems, alarms++... My understanding is that these Cayennes seem to be pretty reliable as long as they are maintained properly. Is this a totally wrong assessment??
Depends on your definition of reliable. If you're using reliable coming from a Japanese car - you'll be VERY disappointed. If you use reliable coming from another German luxury car - the Cayenne isn't awful. About on a par with most modern BMWs, probably better then Audi and Mercedes. ALL German luxo cars have "issues" - they are not the paragon of reliability that people often make them out to be (and the manufacturer's claims..) You buy a German car because (1) it's not Japanese (2) it's rarely boring to drive (3) you think you look cool in it. See my SIG for examples.
5) Is there any way to check what services/maintenance have been done through Porsche with the VIN of the vehicle? Are there any specific services that I should confirm have been done to it?
Two different things. ANY dealer can pull up the WARRANTY and CPO (if it was a CPO'd car) claims that were processed through Porsche. They cannot pull up "normal" (out of warranty) service done by another dealer. Only the servicing dealer can - and they may or may not depending on how they feel that day (and their customer privacy policies.)
6) Say I pick up a 2004 with 80k to 100k miles what type of maintenance should I do right off the bat? Also, what should I do maintenance wise for the years to come? (Besides oil and filter changes)
Spend some real quality time on this forum, and RENNTECH - you'll get a feel for what needs doing. ALL fluid changes would be a first. And the coolant pipes if they haven't already exploded.
I know with a used car outside of it's warranty it can be tricky... I am just looking for any advice or things to look for specifically on these Cayennes. I have a good friend that has owned many Porsches over the years and has been using the same excellent, independent Porsche mechanic for 15+ years. I plan to use the same mechanic if any issues do come up.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!!
You might ask that mechanic to inspect any Cayenne you're considering buying. It's better (probably less costly) if the mechanic is involved before the purchase then playing catchup later after the purchase.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:05 PM
gophaster
Pro

Thanks very much for the reply...I really appreciate it.

"PCM 2.1 - DVD based vs CD based. - Uhh.. you missed coils? Hatch struts? Rear wiper switch? Parking brake strut? Horns?"

I did not know about the PCM 2.0 vs 2.1...I will research that a bit. I will also research installing an aftermarket headunit, with nav, bluetooth, ipod controls, etc... Sounds like most, if not all the other potential/common problems are mostly DIY-able. Thanks for the added info.

"Depends on your definition of reliable. If you're using reliable coming from a Japanese car - you'll be VERY disappointed. If you use reliable coming from another German luxury car - the Cayenne isn't awful. About on a par with most modern BMWs, probably better then Audi and Mercedes. ALL German luxo cars have "issues" - they are not the paragon of reliability that people often make them out to be (and the manufacturer's claims..) You buy a German car because (1) it's not Japanese (2) it's rarely boring to drive (3) you think you look cool in it. See my SIG for examples."

I have owned pretty much only German cars over the years. Started with a new Jetta VR6 back in 1997, a pair of new 1.8T Passats after that, a new A4 2.0T in 2007, then a new BMW 535i in 2009, and currently a 2010 135i as well as the 2009 Audi Q7....so I know about the minor "inconveniences" of owning a German car but I also love the benefits of owning them too

"Two different things. ANY dealer can pull up the WARRANTY and CPO (if it was a CPO'd car) claims that were processed through Porsche. They cannot pull up "normal" (out of warranty) service done by another dealer. Only the servicing dealer can - and they may or may not depending on how they feel that day (and their customer privacy policies.)"

I wonder if the dealer(s) (non-Porsche dealers) that have the Cayennes I am looking at would be willing to call the Porsche dealers they were serviced and get the records for me before I buy?? Not sure if they would go through that trouble but I guess it's worth a shot at asking.

"Spend some real quality time on this forum, and RENNTECH - you'll get a feel for what needs doing. ALL fluid changes would be a first. And the coolant pipes if they haven't already exploded."

I am doing non-stop reading and research as we speak...I think the coolant pipes are what have me the most worried. I will try to confirm whether or not it has been done to the ones I'm looking at.

"You might ask that mechanic to inspect any Cayenne you're considering buying. It's better (probably less costly) if the mechanic is involved before the purchase then playing catchup later after the purchase."

If I find one relatively locally I will definitely have the mechanic look at it first....I am looking at Cayennes pretty much all over the US though so I may not be able to do that with all of them.

Thanks again for your input!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:17 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do what I did regarding prior service records. I knew where my CTT was serviced. I called the dealer and asked the SA for help on items worked on the truck. He was very helpful and took the time to read through and look for what I asked (coolant pipes and drive shaft). Maybe you will or will not have the same luck but it wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coolant pipe isn't really a "major" item unless it bursts, you keep driving it, it overheats and blows a head gasket (thereby melting the aluminum), it kills the starter, it leaks and eats the tranny seals.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Not to disagree with the guys but......I had a 2004 CTT for 4 years - put 120000 KM on it - and the only thing to eveer go wrong with it was the water pump crapped out on it at 80000 KM ...and a something with the right front brake and the air suspension - I can't remember...but it was an outstanding vehicle...
Old 01-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

Our 2004 CS just rolled 100k miles. I've replaced most of the known problem items, but overall it has been an outstanding vehicle.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:38 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of your answers I guess are given but I will add about what I researched and also what I have experienced on our 04 CTT.
Make sure you get the service history (yes you can get history from VIN#), proper PPI, etc...
Common issues - coolant pipes (if not done factor $1800) and cardam shaft (broke on me at 65k-cost $800~).
As probably the majority of the guys here who take care of their cars pretty good you should not have issues. But as any car you never know what can go wrong.
We had our CTT for about 1 year and could not be happier for our purchase. We looked at Audis and BMWs. And for the price they are selling now I think they are a lot of car(well SUV) for the money.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:08 PM
gophaster
Pro

Thanks soo much for all the replies. Believe it or not, this really makes a big difference for me regarding this purchase...knowing that I'll have a forum like this with great folks to back me up if I run in to trouble, with their insight and help.

@Arneea, that's what I was thinking as well. The Carfax reports pretty much say where the trucks were originally purchased and in most cases show all the dealers they were serviced. I will try it using that method...of calling the dealers and asking specifically about the coolant pipes and driveshaft. Though it looks like for some guys the driveshaft has gone bad multiple times so that might be a moot point as I may have to do it regardless at some point. The coolant pipes on the other hand look like they would be a big plus if they were done since that looks like a permanent fix. I see your point about the pipes too, if they were not done already at some point it should mot really be a deal breaker since it would simply mean I'd have to add it to the cost of the car since I would have to do it right away.

@Overdraft & Dennis C...sounds great!!

@Francars, I had not really thought about doing a PPI unless the car was fairly local. I was going to rely more on the service history but after your post I searched PPI on the board a little and it looks like I can find a trusted Porsche mechanic pretty much anywhere in the US to do a PPI for me. I wonder how important a PPI is vs trying to get the service history? Seems like a good PPI would be very well worth it, perhaps even more important that the service history because it would tell me the overall condition of the car right now. Thanks for that. Yeah, I also agree that the used Cayenne's seem to offer A LOT of SUV for the money...I am excited to hopefully track down a good one

Regarding the PPI, several of the Cayenne's I am looking at are at non-Porsche dealers. Have any of you that have purchased pre-owned bought from a non-Porsche dealer had PPI done by sending a mechanic to that dealer to do the PPI? This should not be a problem right? Im thinking that if a dealer won't let me send a Porsche mechanic there to do a PPI for me that I should just walk, no?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:06 PM
KMCTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 04 CTT from new. It's now just turned 138,000 and the only issues it's had is a battery/alternator problem and fuel pumps that started going bad about 10000 miles ago. All the major typical issues have been addressed when needed or in advance. It's been the best car I've ever owned.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:08 AM
bigee12345
4th Gear

Hi Guys,first time poster from Uk....just bought a 04 Cayenne Turbo,with.......241k miles on the clock!!
Drives sweet,looks great and other than the number on the dash you would not know it had done the miles. Been fully serviced at supplying dealer from new and has had cooling pipes etc done,turbos where also replace approx 50 k miles ago. i had a good long chat with the service manager prior to purchase and decided to take a considered 'chance'.No regrets at all. I have driven/owned a couple of 911's, Audi RS4's etc and the Cayenne is easily 'up there' in terms of drive etc..
Old 02-05-2012, 01:29 PM
vyper340
Pro

Known issues with alpha/beta's (pre 2005). Safer bet going with 2005. Had an '05 for a few years and loved it!! Changed to the new CTT and all I can say is WOW! Both are great and at the top of the pyramid.

Last edited by vyper340; 02-05-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:40 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I love mine. I had all the known issues except the coolant pipes (replaced those as a precaution). Fantastic car.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 PM
gophaster
Pro

Guys, for some reason I did not get email updates to the thread so I missed the last few. All this input makes me feel like I am making the right decision.

I am REALLY excited now!!!...I think I may have found the right CTT that fits my budget...it is an '05 with all service records (even has the coolant pipes done). I am getting it setup for a Pre Purchase Inspection within the next couple days. Fingers crossed that all goes well
Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 48 Posts

240,000 miles on our 2004 Cayenne Turbo also - items listed above and some vacuum leaks/vacuum pump replaced - it's been a very reliable vehicle for us.

Quick Reply: About to purchase '04-'05 Cayenne Turbo - Need advice/help.