Sponsored by:

Need laptop software/cable for reading/resetting codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:57 PM
ATSAaron
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need laptop software/cable for reading/resetting codes

I apologize for for not searching, but I need some software and a cable for reading and resetting the codes in my wife's 2005 Cayenne TT.

She has a "Service Now" light (for service that has been done) and a "Brake Booster Failure" light for a vacuum leak that has been fixed.

What is suggested? And what' does it cost?

Aaron
Old 01-16-2012, 02:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you are referring to a Durametric or VAG COM tester? both have been discussed on RL numerous times.

For simple items, you can go to your local auto parts store and rent/use their ODBII reader.

BTW, Porsche uses the PIWIS (which replaced the PST2), which is about $10K, plus software licensing/subscription costs
Old 01-16-2012, 03:15 PM
a17322a
Track Day

I have a durametric pro available to use if you are in the San francisco Bay area.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try the OBDII first. The PIWIS may be overkill.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:06 PM
ATSAaron
Advanced

Originally Posted by Divot
Try the OBDII first. The PIWIS may be overkill.
OBDII won't cover the things I need to reset.

Originally Posted by a17322a
I have a durametric pro available to use if you are in the San francisco Bay area.
Thanks so much for the offer, unfortunately I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Aaron
Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check around with your local PCA DE/Race independent mechanics. One of them might have a PIWIS that you can use to reset the codes.

Or a quick trip to the dealer for $100 or so.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After OBDII is durametric. There are 2 versions. The enthusiast one allows only 3 VINs, the professional unlimited VINs.

I doubt anyone that isn't a friend will just let you hook up to their $10k PIWIS without some fee.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Originally Posted by ATSAaron
OBDII won't cover the things I need to reset.

Thanks so much for the offer, unfortunately I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Aaron
You're right, OBD-II readers alone, usually won't reset the Service Reminder . . .

You might try posting your request in the Regional forum to see if anyone in the DFW area has a Durametric cable they'd be willing to let you borrow, if you don't want to buy your own (you only need the Enthusiast version to read codes and reset the service reminder). I'd try to help you out with mine, but I'm not moving to Dallas for another couple months.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:05 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by KS-CS
You're right, OBD-II readers alone, usually won't reset the Service Reminder . . .

You might try posting your request in the Regional forum to see if anyone in the DFW area has a Durametric cable they'd be willing to let you borrow, if you don't want to buy your own (you only need the Enthusiast version to read codes and reset the service reminder). I'd try to help you out with mine, but I'm not moving to Dallas for another couple months.
Uhhh.. I might be all wrong about this - but resetting the service reminder will possibly take up one of the 3 VINs you have with the Enthusiast version.

OP - you have a fairly expensive car - spend the money and BUY the Durametric.. if nothing else it's a nice tool to play with, and when you sell the Porsche you can sell the Durametric with 2 VINs remaining.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:02 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Uhhh.. I might be all wrong about this - but resetting the service reminder will possibly take up one of the 3 VINs you have with the Enthusiast version.

OP - you have a fairly expensive car - spend the money and BUY the Durametric.. if nothing else it's a nice tool to play with, and when you sell the Porsche you can sell the Durametric with 2 VINs remaining.
You're right - I was suggesting that if he was going to buy a cable for himself, he would probably only need the enthusiast version. I have a professional cable, but if I had an enthusiast cable, I probably wouldn't give up one of the 3 VINs to someone, unless they paid for it.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:24 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Overseas AutoHauz has a PIWIS, sometimes if you do maintenance there, they will hook it up for free, one on Frankford and one on Mockingbird. They were 120-150 for just a hook up.

Or its about 180 bucks at the dealer.......I would be very clear with what you want to do and if they would accomplish this for you.

It would be nice to have the most current updates as I have none in about 3-4 years on my 06.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
I think Overseas AutoHauz has a PIWIS, sometimes if you do maintenance there, they will hook it up for free, one on Frankford and one on Mockingbird. They were 120-150 for just a hook up.

Or its about 180 bucks at the dealer.......I would be very clear with what you want to do and if they would accomplish this for you.

It would be nice to have the most current updates as I have none in about 3-4 years on my 06.
Either of those choices is > 1/2 the price of the Durametic. Why bother? It won't be the only code he's ever going to encounter..
Old 01-19-2012, 10:40 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Well the main reason would be for optimized updates.

Clearing codes is simple with a cheapo unit from the internet......

Now that we are discussing this too.........can you all let me know the difference between capabilities?
I just assumed they all could reset minor things like CEL's but ! is reset by PIWIS or reseting the cars computer via power loss?

OBDII
Durametric
Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Shoot just realized you posted a live link on that Durametric, reading now....
Old 01-19-2012, 10:24 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Uh, you and me both. So how do we remedy this - just find a shop, pay, plug in, and download some firmware upgrade...??

(I feel like the kid that didn't go to the dentist for 5 years...)

Quick Reply: Need laptop software/cable for reading/resetting codes