Sponsored by:

Coolant Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 03:49 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Coolant Fluid

Dealer is closed need some fluids for the road. Looked in the manual nothing besides 3.4-4.8 US Gallons for the V6.

What is suitable? Any 50/50 mix? Prestone?
Old 12-24-2011, 04:08 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

AFAIK - the V6 uses the same coolant as all the other Cayennes - and I woudn't risk mixing it with some generic. There can be issues with gelling if the two don't play well together.

When you say you need "fluids for the road" - can we assume the fluid level isn't low now? If not - I'd just take a gallon of distilled water. Adding a few pints isn't going to change the freeze level of your fluid enough to make any real difference. Then on Monday when the dealers reopen you can stock up on the Porsche juice.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:14 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
AFAIK - the V6 uses the same coolant as all the other Cayennes - and I woudn't risk mixing it with some generic. There can be issues with gelling if the two don't play well together.

When you say you need "fluids for the road" - can we assume the fluid level isn't low now? If not - I'd just take a gallon of distilled water. Adding a few pints isn't going to change the freeze level of your fluid enough to make any real difference. Then on Monday when the dealers reopen you can stock up on the Porsche juice.
Going on a road trip 1,500 miles and just wanted to top off as I will be in "unknown" territory. No low light indicator but when I check it in the engine bay it is sitting below the min level. Not by much.

I wonder what type of coolant is in Porsche OEM? Has to be a big player like Prestone, Pentofrost or some German fluid. Did a search and did not look like anyone has used anything other then Porsche OEM.

Ok I guess when I hit the destination I will look up a Porsche Dealer.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:25 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

As deilenberger said, I would just top it off with a bit of Distilled water. It will not change the freeze point and actually increases cooling. I use 30/70 anitifreeze to water as the climate up here in Seattle is temperate. Water conducts heat better than anti-freeze (Glycol) does. 50/50 is a little over doing it for most climates so adding a little water will be fine.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:57 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by barrios35
Going on a road trip 1,500 miles and just wanted to top off as I will be in "unknown" territory. No low light indicator but when I check it in the engine bay it is sitting below the min level. Not by much.
Is the check being done with the car on a dead level surface? I found my S shows a change in level with a relatively small tilt to the body. Mine also likes to sit JUST above the MIN level. If I fill it cold to the MAX level, I get a very slight coolant smell for a few days - and when I check it - it's back to where it was. I've finally decided it must be happy at that level as it will go for months and many thousands of miles without changing. (And yes - I have replaced the reservoir cap..)
I wonder what type of coolant is in Porsche OEM? Has to be a big player like Prestone, Pentofrost or some German fluid. Did a search and did not look like anyone has used anything other then Porsche OEM.
I heard rumors of: http://www.pentosin.net/f_antifreeze.asp - and they do list Porsche for two of their coolants.
Also see: http://store.blackforestindustries.com/fl.html and http://store.blackforestindustries.c...licog12co.html

I believe the Porsche stuff is likely the G12-Red "Lifetime" coolant. But I could be all wet about that..
Ok I guess when I hit the destination I will look up a Porsche Dealer.
Might as well - the Pentosin is about the same price as the stuff in the Porsche labeled bottle (lemme go look at mine and see if the manufacturer name is on it..) I'm back.. it doesn't say on the container who made it. It's formula G 30 - 91.. whatever that means.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:27 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I just flushed the fluid on my '06 CTTS when the Reservoir bottle started leaking a month ago and went with the Pentosin (Got a case of it as I have a couple of Audi's) and it did appear to be identical to the Porsche stuff and since Pentosin does make the VAG (VW/Audi) stuff I wouldn't doubt that they make the Porsche stuff too being a large German company. They have merged with CRP Automotive of the U.S. so that is why you see more & more of their products sold here now.

Quick Reply: Coolant Fluid