Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your experience going from Audi S4 (B5) to Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your experience going from Audi S4 (B5) to Cayenne?

I ask this because it seems that several current Cayenne owners have made this transition. I have just under 250k miles on my beloved '01 S4. While it has been a joy to own and drive, it is just getting plain old. The age of cars driven on Maine roads, and in Maine winters, should be measured in dog years.
I drove a '12 Q5 (V6) and '08 Cayenne GTS last week. I think I should have driven the Q5 first and then the GTS, or not the GTS at all. The Q5 felt familiar in that Audi way. It was very comfortable, like a car you wear. I did not care for the bazillion lights on the dash, console and doors - very distracting. The engine was, well, "peppy." Hardly inspirational. On the other hand, the GTS was like driving a "safe room" that growls. The engine was the heart of a beast and it cornered (no pdcc) like no 5000lb car should. But it is the mass of this vehicle that I found unsettling - not unpleasant, just way different from my sport sedan. I am sure that may of you Cayenne owners who have come from Audi or BMW sport sedans have had the same initial feeling. Ultimately, did this fade and did you embrace the mass?
David
Old 12-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Will this be your only car?

While I did have a B5 S4 years back I did not really transition. If I did not have a couple of sports cars I would not be happy with the CayenneS as my only car. I think the question is what are your priorities for a car?
Performance? Space? Utility?

While the Cayenne is a great performer for a truck and I like it allot, it's no S4, closer to a Sports sedan than a truck but still a heavy vehicle. And it's a troublesome as an S4
It's terrific for long drives, safe and great for hauling the dog and kid. It's even entertaining to to drive but not entertaining enough to be my only car.

Just my 2 cents
Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 AM
On Pole
Racer

I had an 01 S4, 05 S4 Avant, and an 09 S5. I took my S5 in for service and saw an 08 Cayenne GTS. It was love at first sight, so I drove the GTS. I have never driven an SUV that handles so well. The GTS feels like a Porsche, and the Audis feels like a soft Porsche.

Living in the northeast, you will need the optional winter wheel/tire package. I get 14 MPG :-(.
Attached Images   
Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 AM
JBCayenne
Track Day

I came from a 2003 BMW E46. I loved the road feel and the handling of the 3 series. My new car is a 2012 Cayenne V6 (with steel springs). I find the new V6 with the 8 speed in sport mode to be very peppy (about the same as my E46). I did not opt for servotronic and I think the steering feel is a bit overboosted when compaired to teh E46, but it has a great road feel none the less. I am very happy with the new Cayenne. The technology and pano roof are amazing. I have no regrets at all.

JB
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Will this be your only car?
Sage advice. It would be my only car, and as my daily driver, I would put on 100 miles a day commuting to work. I can almost wrap my mind around the mileage thing. I guess it comes down to whether the Cayenne is more of a specialty vehicle than a daily driver.
Maybe I could get a Miata and park it in the back of the Cayenne and use that once I get to a destination - like a mothership.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 AM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I came over from an A8...at 1st my wife was not happy but now I find her more and more asking to drive the CayenneS she says it's fun to drive...not sure if that's what I like to hear...but now I will probably pick up a used Cayenne Turbo and let her keep the S I want a little more punch
Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Deliberate1
I am sure that may of you Cayenne owners who have come from Audi or BMW sport sedans have had the same initial feeling. Ultimately, did this fade and did you embrace the mass?
David
David,

My current fleet is an '01 BMW M-Coupe (one of 600), a '03 BMW 5 series "Touring" (aka wagon) with the sport package and the '06 Cayenne/S (we will leave out the 2 wheeled BMW since it really doesn't apply in the comparo..)

Sporty-ness:
1. M-Coupe by a mile - 315hp in 3,000lbs, very firm suspension, very direct steering feel, and your butt almost sits over the rear wheels. Feels like a big go-cart on steroids.

2. BMW-Touring. Surprisingly the sport package really is.. besides the sport seats, the suspension was modified, it comes with fat tires and it really handles.. but 190HP in ~4,000lbs - it's not a slug, but it isn't really "fast"..

3. Cayenne/S - when I first drove one my impression was - nothing this big and heavy has any business handling this well and accelerating this fast. It's quicker then the BMW-Touring, slower (by a lot actually) then the M-Coupe. I have Servotronic - and at low speeds the high boost is actually quite nice - turning a 6,000lb vehicle in parking lots would be a real chore otherwise. At higher speeds the steering boost backs off and it offers good directional control without feeling twitchy.

Comfort:
1. BMW-Touring - wonderful seats, great suspension, great HVAC.

2. Cayenne/S - follows the Touring very closely..

3. M-Coupe - Hey it's a sports car.. tight quarters, manual HVAC, very firm suspension, but it's fun. We only did one long trip in an M-Coupe (my first one..) and will never do another.

So - question is - which one do I usually pick to drive? Usually the Cayenne. The M-Coupe when I'm going out purposely to have fun. The Touring is primarily SWMBO's - and is getting a bit long in the tooth (101k on it) for long trips. We had done a C2C2C in it about 5 years ago, great trip, great car. This summer when we were doing a Coast2Coast2Coast - the Cayenne/S was the choice.. and it was a good one. It was totally reliable (!), comfortable and competant.

After a while you'll learn to pretty much ignore the "mass" of the Cayenne. It's there, you know it's there, but I haven't reached the handling limits of the truck, so it's pretty much a non-issue. It was a bit noticeable on our summer trip on some steep descents in northern CA and Oregon (10-11% grades), but the Tiptronic let me use engine braking for most of the needed control, and the brakes are huge - there was never a problem.

I don't think you'll regret getting the GTS.. sharp looking truck with "adequate" performance..
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

All interesting observations...but in my humble opinion you are NOT giving Porsche credit, where it is most definitely due!!!,by lumping together older and newer models of the Cayenne...and not acknowledging whatsoever the tremendous leaps in driving aids Porsche has brought us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drove my 2011 CT,wot from day one on the Autobahn...and it ALWAYS performed flawlessly..every day i admire and respect my CT more and more
Only Audi i drove,and still have,is a 2001 A6...and while it is indeed very comfy and pleasant to drive...the lack of braking power scares me..
Ps:Had a 2012 bmw 328 as a loaner recently...yikes,what a pos...bmw quality seems to be heading downhill as fast as you claim your m-coupe is...which saddens me lots,cause i learned how to drive on a MT 1985 735i
Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Deliberate1
Sage advice. It would be my only car, and as my daily driver, I would put on 100 miles a day commuting to work. I can almost wrap my mind around the mileage thing. I guess it comes down to whether the Cayenne is more of a specialty vehicle than a daily driver.
Maybe I could get a Miata and park it in the back of the Cayenne and use that once I get to a destination - like a mothership.
The Cayenne is not a specialty vehicle, A DD for sure. Gas mileage on my S is abysmal, but I have a "heavy foot"
Old 12-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

I switched from a '00 B5 S4 to a '10 GTS for the same reasons that you are. Whereas my S4 was Stage II and only had about 80k miles, it was just simply getting old. I only used it in the winter as a 3rd/4th car so it was fine. The Cayenne does not compare in many ways, different car, vintage, more useful, etc. but not as much of a low key "sleeper" as the S4 was. Go for it (get the GTS and winter tires)!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I just did the S4/Cayenne S swap. My '06 S4 was an Avant with the 4.2L V8 and Tiptronic and my Cayenne S is a 2011 with AS, PASM, PDCC, and PTV. Just some quick comparisons.

Performance: Comparable in terms of acceleration and response, although the Audi V8 had a better out of the box exhaust note. Adding a PSE on the Cayenne resolved that.

Handling: The Audi was a great handling car, felt more sports car than wagon. The new Cayenne body only gives away about 300 pounds to the Audi but you do sit higher so the low slung sports car feel isn't there. But the ultimate cornering is, and with PDCC and the other goddies it is very close to the Audi, something that an SUV just shouldn't be capable of. When driving the car, I honestly don't notice the mass at all.

Ride: The Cayenne, hands down. The lowered, stiff suspension and low profile rubber that made the Audi handle so well also made it rough riding, especially on the roads around here. The Cayenne, with it's adjustable suspension, gives the best of both worlds, and it's noticeably more comfortable on long trips.

Economy: Very comparable. With both cars 23-24mpg highway is realistic if you don't have your foot in it all the time.

Utility: Cayenne, no question. Much more cargo room, a back seat with real legroom, off road ability if required, and the ability to tow.

I loved my S4 Avant; it was one of the best cars I've owned. But the Cayenne, overall, is a better vehicle for me and I don't regret the change at all.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-07-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Do It !
Old 12-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a B5 S4.

My CTT handles better, is more reliable and just more fun and useful to drive.

The B5 S4 is just nose heavy pig plagued with tiny turbos crammed in a tight space. The heat alone cooks things that should not and do not cook in any other car. I had 168k on mine. People that complain about the maintenance of a Cayenne have never owned a B5 S4!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Some people like SUV's and some don't. Personally -- if I'm going for an hour drive someplace I take one of my sedans -- Currently a Jaguar or a Mercedes. If I want some fun then the 911 gets pulled out ..... but then I'm alone because nobody likes the ride of the 996tt.

The CS is a great SUV -- but it is an SUV ..... and it is not the most practical SUV. It is absolutely the best thing to go skiing in -- take on a trip to the mountains -- exploring the coast of Maine -- I always take it if it is going to snow -- to go to the city ........ or if it is really raining. I have an older MB wagon if I really need the "utility". If you like SUV's then the Porsche is the only way to go.

If I had to commute 100 miles every day I would rather be in a midsize sport sedan --- Oh .... The CS gets 15mpg w/premium.

Last edited by yeldogt; 12-07-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you mean it's not a practical SUV? I tows nearly 8000lbs, hauls people, I've had a couch in mine, engine blocks, big wet dogs locked in the back, height adjustable for off road and kick most sports cars butts.

Hard to fine anything that fits the definition of "SPORTS UTILITY vehicle" better! Most jut focus on some half *** form of utility.

Quick Reply: Your experience going from Audi S4 (B5) to Cayenne?