Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne V6 Partial leather vs. Full leather interior?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 02:11 PM
d_amt_78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne V6 Partial leather vs. Full leather interior?

Full leather interior is for sure better and more luxurious than the partial leather.
The question is..how cheap is the partial leather? Is it a must to go with the full leather? Will I be happy and satisfied with a partial or will it be something that I can't live with? It's a 2012 V6.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:24 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

The last generation Cayenne had this really odd faux leather texture where I thought full leather was a must. Current Cayenne non-leather looks fine. Full leather would be like going one more, like going to 11.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2011, 02:43 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d_amt_78
Full leather interior is for sure better and more luxurious than the partial leather.
The question is..how cheap is the partial leather? Is it a must to go with the full leather? Will I be happy and satisfied with a partial or will it be something that I can't live with? It's a 2012 V6.
Suddenly, Chris Rock's "women are never happy" comes to mind, but I digress...

With that said, go for the full leather.

And a V8
Old 12-03-2011, 04:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,144 Likes on 759 Posts

I love how full leather looks.

I don't love when it starts drying out and peeling away as it gets older, or the maintenance required to keep it looking decent. Vinyl has some advantages, and it appears Porsche uses a decent vinyl (no complaints yet about cracking dash, etc..) I do like leather where my body touches the car - so the partial leather interior works fine for me.

I have "full-leather" on my BMW M-Coupe (it was standard - not an option,) luckily that car lives in the garage and gets very few miles put on it (it's the only vehicle I have that's appreciating..) but it's still a pain to maintain. And the good leather care stuff does give off fumes that condense on the interior of the glass and are a PITA to get off..
Old 12-03-2011, 05:40 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been down this road a few times, the price is quite a bit at first but at the end of the day i finally decided it is worth the cost paid because of a few reasons:

1: the quality of the leather: (standard is "altered leather" so the leather is embossed with grain and dye covers the leather to the point where it's pretty much "pleather" IMO, the grain can wear off exposing the raw leather underneath and is not attractive (happened in my 2011 on driver side)... the leather smell is however "stronger" with the non full leather as i assume they use more chemicals and of course more dye to color. the full leather is semi analine/full analine and very soft to the touch, my back sweats less with the full leather as well as i think maybe it breathes better..

2: attention to detail: the under dash and doors are fully covered, all the way down to the cup holders in the doors... the attention to detail is amazing and even on the lower center console its covered and stitched perfectly (only qualm being i wish the console was fully covered, not a fan of the plastic up top)

3: additional stitching: the stitching on tops of doors and dash looks superb,

the only downside is the upkeep, my first 997 was full leather and such a pain to upkeep (in the winter people's elbows would rub off and leave white "ashy" marks on the doors... would have to clean, any water marks you need to clean, and everything else that might touch it needs to be cleaned quickly, my second 997 was not full leather and felt cheap and not like a luxury vehicle, first 958 was not full leather and felt cheap and not very luxury.... the seats might be "leather" but they feel more like BMW's fake leather alternative.... first seat in the full leather of my new 958 and i told myself "I need to order this more often"...

again only qualm is some area's are not covered in leather but im sure for a hefty price they could be, i think the steering column, under gauges, upper center console, and door handles should be done in the "full leather" as well for the price.... the upper center console is not even an after the fact option however!..

pics of luxor beige non full leather, to platinum blue/black full leather.

btw a quick comparison is to sit in a non full leather vehicle, the steering wheel/shifter is still/always the nice "full leather" you can quickly and easily see the difference in quality and grain..... everything else is "stamped" whilst the steering wheel/shifter is smooth and silky...
Old 12-04-2011, 09:34 AM
d_amt_78
Intermediate

Thank you..I guess there are pros and cons for everything..
Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

worth it & you will be reminded what a good decision EVERY time yo get in it
Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure I would spend the money on full leather with the V6.

I can't justify the cost -- and it not all that nice anyway .... I would rather donate the funds to someones education.

Porsches option pricing is unreal - IMO
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Cowboys5
Instructor

I spec'd out a new Cayenne Diesel last week and had the same discussion with my sales guy. I sat in both types, and I can tell you that the partial leather on the new vehicles is very nice. In fact, my sales guy told me that the vast majority of his Cayenne Sales (largest dealer in Canada, I believe) is the partial leather and that the quality of the partial is good enough so that people are generally not inclined to spend the extra money on the full. I went for the partial. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Cayenne V6 Partial leather vs. Full leather interior?