Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2012 Cayenne V6 Review -

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 PM
saraojo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so why "not" on the air suspension in the v6? I was thinking about getting the air suspension and pasm on the diesel ? just what to know your thoughts about the as. thanx
Old 03-21-2013, 02:23 AM
zorba1331
Instructor

Nice reviews and follow ups. Interesting to read.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Tex94
Instructor

Originally Posted by saraojo
so why "not" on the air suspension in the v6? I was thinking about getting the air suspension and pasm on the diesel ? just what to know your thoughts about the as. thanx
If you want it, go for it. As I mentioned, I would like to have it on my V6. I didn't spec it because I was at the limits of my budget at the time. The steel springs with PASM are still good but I think AS would be a nice add.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
I did have some vibration issues with the V6, but this was completely solved by changing the downpipes under warranty.

For SUV standards, a basic suspension V6 is an excellent performer, and little out there can really show it up. This absolutely does anything I would reasonably* ever ask it to do ... leave everybody behind at a green light, pass a slow truck blasting by at 100MPH once you are done flooring it, fly around corners, do any speed you could possibly do in America without ending up in prison, and always feeling completely composed and stable. The only thing missing is some chilling-thrills and lunacy.

Now for Porsche standards, perhaps some lunacy is in order, and you would need the V8 or Turbo for that!

Jermey Clarkson often says when reviewing something realy good "This car scares me to death, I feel like it is always trying to kill me, terrifying!" The V6 Cayenne, unfortunately (or fortunately) does NOT do that!

If you have nothing better to do with $10K, by all means get the V8, and throw another $10K and get all four suspension/handling upgrades. If you are value oriented, and are not trying to purchase a thrill car, the base model will likely suite you fine.

Personally I would do the same base build again, looking forwards to adding a 2014 base Boxster in the next year on the savings from not fully loading the Cayenne.

*Reasonable Excludes:
- Racing Ferraris at stop lights.
- Blowing away X5M's on the highway.
- Taking on a 911 on the track.
- You get the point!!!

Well stated and I fully agree. Quite happy with my base V6.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:36 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread has some great unbiased reviews. I'm glad it got started because it helped me in my search for a Cayenne. Last week I picked up a CPO 2012 Cayenne with just under 18K miles in meteor grey metallic over luxor beige with PCM, memory pkg, convience pkg, 20" Cayenne wheels, towing hitch plus some other smaller options.

Now, some additional thoughts.

Multi-function Steering Wheel - love it but it should be standard. Although, I don't really like having to use the thumb wheel to raise or lower the radio volume. Buttons like every other vehicle would be easier to use.

Center console storage pocket, the one above the transmission selector, holds an iPhone nicely. But at an odd angle. Too bad it isn't angled up and down rather than slightly towards the rear.

No storage for sunglasses or change. Another one of those, every other car on the planet standard features.

The base 8-way power seats are remarkably comfortable. After my first 700 mile road trip this weekend, I can say driver fatigue never came into play. The base seats are remarkably comfortable!

The base 300hp V-6 is more than enough power for 98% of us. It's very good power and surprisingly efficient. It averaged just under 26 MPG on my 700 mile trip where I cruised 75-80 on the interstate. (1/2 the trip was driving in the mountains of NC at that.)

Speaking of mountains and mountain roads, there isn't another SUV that'll keep up with a Cayenne nor will most cars.

Quick Reply: My 2012 Cayenne V6 Review -