Sponsored by:

My 2012 Cayenne V6 Review -

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Tex94
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2012 Cayenne V6 Review -

I have had my Cayenne for all of 1 week so far but spent enough time in it to provide some initial thoughts. After waiting through 2 order processes over 7 months I was worried that the Cayenne wouldn’t live up to the hype but I am happy to say that it does. This is just a great vehicle. It drives like no other SUV on the road and better than most cars in any class. It’s not sports car but it certainly beats most luxury sedans for handling, styling and features. Highly recommend it. Here are the details:

BUILD
2012 Cayenne V6 - Tiptronic
Jet Black Metallic
Standard Black Interior
Exterior in High Gloss Black
Deletion of Model Designation
Roof Rails in Black
Panorama Roof
Porsche Entry & Drive
Voice Control
PASM
18” Base Wheel w/ Porsche Crest
BOSE Audio Package
Premium Package Plus (PCM, PDLS, Memory Package, Heated Front & Rear Seats, Ventilated Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, 14 Way memory Seats, Servotronic, Park Assist w/Rear View Camera, Lane Change Assist, Elec Rollup Sunshade, Light Comfort Package, Heated Steering Wheel)

V6 DRIVING EXPERIENCE: My number one debate was whether I would be satisfied with the V6 or should I order an “S”. The CS is amazing but ultimately I couldn’t get all of the features I wanted plus pay for the v8. I know there are plenty that will say a V8 is the only option but I would disagree. The V6 on the 958 is plenty powerful enough around town and even on the highway. Of course the V8 is even better but when I compare the acceleration to my wife’s 2012 BMW X5, I think the Cayenne feels more powerful. Very responsive and no lag. I can do 70-80 on the highway and the car still has power to spare. For anyone that is on the fence and coming from another SUV, you will be just fine with the V6. If you have extra dough, go for the V8 I’m sure you will be happy it too.

No matter which engine you choose, this car just handles really well. Very smooth, little lean in the corners, you always feel in control. I’ve driven lots of SUVs before (X5, MDX, ML350, Q5, Jeeps, etc) and Cayenne blows them away. Same is true for many of the luxury sedans I can compare it to from Lexus, Acura, BMW, MB. It makes driving lots of fun.

STYLING: I think enough has been said on this but this is a beautiful vehicle. While I am still not sold on the rear it may be growing on me. The sloping front is fantastic and the interior is just gorgeous. Fantastic quality of all of the materials, definitely a cockpit like feel – especially at night. Cargo space is a little tighter than I expected and there is not enough storage up front for me (why couldn’t the console be a little bigger?). Cupholders are small but so far they seem to hold my drinks sufficiently well.

OPTIONAL FEATURES: I am stealing a Woot’s format for this review. I found his feature by feature reviews incredibly valuable as I was building my Cayenne so I am providing my own perspectives.

Porsche Entry & Drive – I didn’t have this on my first Cayenne order but added it in the second time. I really like this feature a lot. People complain that there isn’t a button to press but that is a pretty silly thing to complain about. Really not a big deal and still nice to have your hands full and be able to get in and out of the car without reaching into your pocket for a key. Definitely would order again. The one thing I haven’t figured out yet is where to put my key when I am giving it to a valet. In my wife’s BMW I can put it into the key slot but in the Cayenne that is taken by the dummy key. Excellent

Panorama Roof – Another feature that I added to my second build. This is excellent (although it is really expensive). Especially with a black exterior and interior it really opens up the space inside and make the car feel roomier. My kids love it. I’ve driven it with the roof fully open and was quieter than I expected. There is great tinting so it doesn’t get much glare inside and hopefully that will cut down on the heat as well during the summer. Excellent

PASM – I think I am one of the few that has this feature with steel springs. I don’t have a non-PASM car to compare it to but this is a great feature. Sport or Normal are great for highways and smooth roads but Comfort makes a surprisingly big difference for the potholes on the streets of San Francisco. I would definitely order this again – with or without air suspension. Excellent

Roof Rails in Black/Exterior Package in Black – Debated this feature too but since I couldn’t add them after the fact I went for it as I suspect I will use them on extended trips with a roof rack. I really like the all black package in combination with this feature. It makes the whole car tight and stealthy. Happy with selection

Voice Control – I chose to add this feature primarily for phone calls. I used that a ton in prior cars and couldn’t imagine driving without it. I am not quite sold on the implementation here as the accuracy isn’t great. Voice adaptation helps a little but I could see not using this as much in the Cayenne as I have in prior vehicles. Part of that may be that the PCM and MF Display are so good and easy to access that you don’t need to use voice. Time will tell on this one. Jury still out

Lane Change Assist – I just think this is a cool feature. I was worried that the lights would be annoying but it is a good implementation as you only really notice them when you are turning and looking for them. I would definitely get this feature again. Happy with selection

Heated & Ventilated Seats – I’ve had heated seats for years and this is a fine implementation and like the 3 stage elements. Ventilated seats are new to me and it is a little cold now to value these but I suspect I will enjoy them immensely come warmer temperatures. Excellent

BOSE Audio Package – I had the opportunity to listen to the base sound system with PCM (235 watts) in a demo vehicle and compare it to the Bose. I am glad I ordered the Bose as it is materially better sounding. It isn’t best sound system I’ve heard in a car but it does the job reasonably well. I still need to play with some of the settings to tweak the sound so it may get better. I do find that they misplaced the “sweet spot” for the surround feature. With it on it feels like my ears are outside of the sweet spot and they just targeted the dead center of the vehicle (where NO ONE sits). I may be able to tweak this or it may be that I am too tall though. Overall, I am happy with selection.

XM Radio – this came with the BOSE audio package and I like satellite radio. Yes, quality isn’t outstanding but it is nice for long drives. The feature I like the most is the integrated traffic with the navigation system. Well worth it in my opinion. Excellent

14 Way Seats – Overall, these are very comfortable seats, easy enough to adjust to optimal comfort and plenty of room overall in the cabin. I am fairly tall (6’3”) and big (210+lbs) but I still fit nicely in these seats and there is enough leg room behind me for another tall adult – something that isnt possible in a lot of vehicles. My only complaint is that the seat itself feels like it has a bulge or slight crowning in the center. I’m guessing that might get annoying on long drives. Happy with selection

Park Assist w/ Rear View Camera
– One of the larger disappointments in the Cayenne. ParkAssist is fine and glad I can adjust the volume of the tones (my dealer had it on max which is crazy loud). My issues are with the Rear View Camera. Picture is pretty poor quality, especially at night. This is the worst quality picture I have seen in any car – the Ford Explorer has an HD picture for a lot less money. I didn’t hear any complaints around this with the older builds so I am wondering whether Porsche changed vendors after the Japanese tsunami. I can’t really imagine an SUV without a camera so I would get is again but overall it is a Disappointment

Heated Multi-Function Steering Wheel – I’ve had multi-function wheels before but I usually found myself using the console buttons instead of the buttons on the wheel. For whatever reason, that hasn’t been the case with the Cayenne. I suspect that some of that comes from my fiddling with the MFD so much which makes me remember the buttons are there. I LOVE the heated wheel. Very nice for cold mornings so I don’t need to use gloves. I debated the sport wheel because I love the way it looked but since I cannot get that heated I am glad I went with this option. Happy with selection

Light Comfort Package – I didn’t expect to have much opinion on this either way but I find I don’t like this. The LED strips in the doors are fantastic but the horseshoe light overhead is awful. The horseshoe is too bright for my tastes. Yes, you can dim the lighting package but I would like to turn the horseshoe to zero and the LED strips in the doors to 20-30% but I cannot control it separately. Disappointment

Rear Sunshade – I never would have ordered this as a standalone but it came with the Premium Plus package but I like this feature and my kids love it. I just hope they don’t play with it so much they break it. Happy with selection

Memory System – This one is baffling. I have never seen such a confusing implementation of a memory system in my life. Even my dealer struggles with this one (he asked me to come back in a week to review it so he could figure out how to make it work). Why on earth would you design a system with multiple keys and memory storage options and a weird way of autostoring changes. To make it worse, it doesn’t even work consistently as sometimes it auto saves and sometimes it doesn’t. Very odd and every other car I have ever driven has always nailed it. Not sure why Porsche cannot. Disappointment

WHAT I WISH I ADDED: Like everyone, I debated a number of other features from full leather interior to wood inlays to rear climate control, etc. If I had to just select 1 feature to add to my build though I would have put on the Trailer Hitch. I don’t expect to pull a trailer but it would be have been great for a bike carrier. It would have cost me $650 to add up front and over $1,000 to retrofit.

STANDARD FEATURES: In addition to the optional features, I thought I would share some thoughts on some of the ‘standard’ features that are unique to this car.

Auto Stop/Start – I have only played with this a little bit so far but I suspect it will be permanently off for me. It starts up pretty quickly but with stop and go city driving it is annoying enough. I think it is pretty telling that when I picked up my car my dealer had set a bunch of the ‘common features’ for me and one of those was turning this feature off. Jury still out

Dashboard Clock – This was a nice add-on for me. My Cayenne was finished on 9/28 and as such was one of the first with this now standard feature. I passed on the Compass to save the money but always loved the way it looked. Now I have the look for free and everyone can see the time easily. My kids also love this feature. Excellent

PCM – This is a really well done navigation system and the touchscreen makes it very, very usable. Not all of the menus are logically organized so it is hard to find some settings and options but I suspect that is a bigger issue now as I am learning the system and changing settings than it will be over time. Blows away the iDrive and like systems in terms of ease of use. Excellent

Multi-Function Display – This is an outstanding feature. I know the PCM screen is only a few inches away but having it right in front, especially for navigation and phone is excellent. It would probably be even more functional if they put it in the center dial instead of the tachometer but I get that would make it feel “less Porsche”. Excellent

PDLS – I drive on a fair amount of twisting, dark and poorly lit roads so these dynamic cornering lights are very nice. I also love the look of the daytime running lights (but can’t figure out how to have them on when headlights are active yet). Excellent

Tiptronic Shifting – I have had this feature in cars for 10 years and always liked the idea of manual shifting but I have to admit I almost never use it. This implementation is fine but I agree with others that the push/pull buttons on the wheel are a bit awkward. Overall it’s fine but not a big seller for me.

FEATURES IT SHOULD HAVE OR OFFER: During my research I got a pretty good sense of features that are becoming more common. Here are a few of the features that I think should be added to make the Cayenne more competitive (not that it needs that with the rate it sells at):
HD Radio
Hard Drive for Music storage
Ability to click 2x on key fob and close the rear hatch
Ability to press and hold unlock on keyfob as you approach vehicle and have windows/roof auto open

That’s all for now. I will periodically come back an update as I learn more. In the meantime, here are a few pictures.
Attached Images      
Old 11-11-2011, 10:42 AM
kev_song
Instructor

Great Pics! You're going to love it. As for the backup camera, the stink on the 2011's too and I have a pre tsunami model so they haven't changed vendors. The optics blow. I've been debating about getting an aftemarket flir set up b/c of the poor visibility at night.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:24 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Great review Tex94.

Good call on the MF wheel. I have over 12,000 km on our 2012 and use them so many times it makes me wonder what I did without it.

Enjoy!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:18 PM
mt-sfo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review!

just a quick note on one of the features you wish the cayenne offered:
if you ask your service guy real nicely, they can program the windows to roll down when you press and hold the unlock button on the key fob.

see you on the streets of SF!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Tex94
Instructor

Originally Posted by mt-sfo
Great review!

just a quick note on one of the features you wish the cayenne offered:
if you ask your service guy real nicely, they can program the windows to roll down when you press and hold the unlock button on the key fob.

see you on the streets of SF!
Good tip! I will ask them
Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 PM
WFBlue
Advanced

great review Tex. I basically agree with all of your points. One easily solution on the memory: make your selections, save the setting, turn off the memory----> don't let anyone else drive your Cayenne!

Enjoy the ride.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Our 2011 V6 is pretty similarly equipped, and I find myself in agreement with pretty much all of your assessments. I only use the Stop/Start feature when I'm driving a route where there are a few, long stop lights - it is kind of annoying in stop and go traffic. Besides, I almost always have it in Sport mode anyway (which my wife can't understand).

One thing that has bothered me about the Entry and Drive feature - how do you keep someone from opening the door from the outside (e.g. carjacker, etc.) if you are in the car with the key fob (since it seems that the car will still interpret it as the key holder trying to open the locked door)?
Old 04-23-2012, 01:25 PM
norsecarnut
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tex94

Multi-Function Display – This is an outstanding feature. I know the PCM screen is only a few inches away but having it right in front, especially for navigation and phone is excellent. It would probably be even more functional if they put it in the center dial instead of the tachometer but I get that would make it feel “less Porsche”. Excellent

FEATURES IT SHOULD HAVE OR OFFER:
About the center dials and MFD. I don't know what BMW you were used to driving before but my E61 has HUD (Heads Up Display) which I LOVE now even though I previously thought I wouldn't care either way. It is in the very best visual area (overlaying the road ahead) and also leaves the instrument area alone.

It would be nice if Porsche had implemented HUD. I see almost zero benefit of repeating info from the main NAV/screen to just 12" left.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Tex94
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwestpro
About the center dials and MFD. I don't know what BMW you were used to driving before but my E61 has HUD (Heads Up Display) which I LOVE now even though I previously thought I wouldn't care either way. It is in the very best visual area (overlaying the road ahead) and also leaves the instrument area alone.

It would be nice if Porsche had implemented HUD. I see almost zero benefit of repeating info from the main NAV/screen to just 12" left.
My X5 doesn't have HUD so I cannot compare it. I do like the MFD location better than looking at the PCM screen, especially when flipping through menus on the fly. I could definitely see a HUD implementation being even a step beyond that.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Tex94
Instructor

Since this thread seems to have been resurrected, I thought I would add some additional thoughts 6 months in. In short, I am still in love with the car overall and I find myself having to fend off my wife eyeing the car for her own personal use. Poor lady only has a 2012 X5 to drive.

V6 vs V8: my initial assessment that the V6 is capable stands. I still have never found a situation where it was lacking power – passing uphill at highway speeds, fully loaded, etc. – the V6 is plenty strong enough for the lighter weight 958. That said, I would likely get a CS next time. Who wouldn’t take extra power?

Features: my initial review stands for the most part, here are a few tweaks.

Must Haves – I just wouldn’t order the car without these
Entry & Drive
Voice Control – the more I use it the better it is. Much improved over prior implementations
Lane Change Assist – saved me a few times when moving at 85+
Heated & Ventilated Seats
14 Ways Seats
Park Assist
Heated Multi Function Wheel – heat is sort of optional but I use the MF wheel every day
PDLS

Nice to Haves
Panoramic Roof
PASM
BOSE Package – perhaps not the best sound ever but a worthwhile upgrade and you need XM for traffic anyway
Rearview Camera – quality isn’t great but it does the job
Memory System

Not Sure I would Order Again
Roof Rails – I go back and forth on the look with these. Without a trailer hitch they are practically required but I might save the money here and invest in wheels instead
Light Comfort Package – came with package and it is fine but wouldn’t pay for it “a la carte”
Rear Sunshade – came with package and it is fine but wouldn’t pay for it “a la carte”

Wish I had Ordered
Different Wheels – base Cayenne wheels are just ugly and I am currently looking for new ones. At a bare minimum the $390 for the Cayenne S wheel would have been worth it.
Trailer Hitch
Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 AM
norsecarnut
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tex94
My X5 doesn't have HUD so I cannot compare it. I do like the MFD location better than looking at the PCM screen, especially when flipping through menus on the fly. I could definitely see a HUD implementation being even a step beyond that.
HUD would be awesome, however the little info screen that showed me nav/map was cool and better than nothing.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:14 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Very nice review. My wife took delivery of a 2012 V6 late Dec 2011, while I still drive a 2004 TT. The V6 has plenty of power, but of course, more power is always better -- just ask the Tool Man -- Tim Taylor. With Porsche, the problem is prices on the options and larger engines. I took the 2012 in recently for the headlight recall, and in the showroom they had a Cayenne for over $150K, while ours stickered out at about $60K.

Back to the V6 Engine -- There were no V6's to test drive prior to ordering, so we drove a Hybrid, and it didn't seem very responsive from a power standpoint, so I was concerned about the V6. Following comments here and elsewhere, most V6 owners were happy with the power, and I was very pleased -- seemed more powerful than the Hybrid, even though the Hybrid has more HP. Last time I looked, the V6 saves about $15K versus the CS.

My wife is very happy with her's, and it doesn't have many options -- has standard leather that's really nice, the standard sound system that's not so nice, and the premium package. As others mentioned the rear camera is awful. My son has a Ford Escape, and the camera on that vehicle is excellent. Wud think if Ford could figure it out, Porsche should figure it out, as well. I can't use that camera because it's not in focus, and the car in the picture does not fairly represent the actual car's position. It's distracting, not to mention the the lane lines that move around on you (can be turned off by dealer), Personally, I much prefer the parking distance indicators on my 2004TT that shows closeness by the lights moving out until you get double red's. The new scheme with the balloon reds don't give me an accurate view.

I like the NAV, but the traffic feature doesn't funtion -- think it's because it's part of the XM Bose package that I don't have. Bose makes a big difference, but then it's $2K, then I think about resale value; no ones going to pay more on trade-in for a Bose. My wife is happy, so I say it sounds great.

The rear motorized lift gate is really good, and it's nice that it's standard.

Don't have the PASM, but with my driving style, I doubt if I wud benefit from it. Also, don't have the entry and drive because of the cost, and the fact that there is a fake key, that could encourge a break-in.

Did anyone notice that the gas tank is larger than spec'd in the manual -- I've filled up with 24+ gallons on occasion. First I suspected that the pump may have been rechipped, but it's happened to me at Costco, and I know they don't rechip their pumps.

Summing it all up, for $60K (sticker), it's a great vehicle, and it's much more refined than my 2004TT -- doesn't drive like a truck.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice car and review. I missed this the first time around. Congrats! And another Sonnen customer, I see. Recognized the surroundings even before I saw the plate......
Old 08-08-2012, 06:04 AM
MadCayenne
Cruisin'

Great review and pictures. I enjoyed going through this thread. I think the V6 is just fine to drive in manual, and when I test drove the tiptronic it seemed responsive enough. My sales guy said that Porsche underestimates the 0-60 times and the 7.1s for the manual is actually a conservative overestimate. I still wish there was a little more horsepower, something in the 320-350hp range, but even more than that wish: BETTER fuel economy than the 22mpg city it is rated at. I don't know what offerings the Porsche engineers sacrificed to the Fuel gods, but seriously, how does a Turbo 500hp V-8 get virtually the same gas mileage as the V6? I would have expected something like 18/26/24 for the V6 if they can wring 15/22mpg from the Turbo. Seems unfair that 200hp gives you NO fuel penalty. But I guess that's what you spend the extra $60K+ for...
Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Tex94
Instructor

I have to agree on the fuel economy although you do get an improvement over any of the V8 models. I think the mileage is either 16/23 or 17/24 so you do get a little something for 2 less cylinders but perhaps not as much as one would hope. I just did a 500 mile round trip up into the mountains and back and averaged 24.8MPG.

Quick Reply: My 2012 Cayenne V6 Review -