Sponsored by:

Baby on way... thinking about getting Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:12 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Baby on way... thinking about getting Cayenne

Hi all. I am new to the forum. I currently own a 2008 Cayman S, which I absolutely love. My wife and I are expecting a newborn in about 6 months and it is clear that we need an additional practical car. While I intend to keep the Cayman in the near term, I am strongly considering the Cayenne as an option.

After searching the forums, I see that many people have infants in their Cayennes. Is there any issue with a rearward facing seat negatively impacting the amount of front passenger space? On some cars, a rearward facing seat takes up so much room that there is little space left for the person in the front. My wife and I are both tall (she is 5'11") so having space up front is important.

Any suggestions on the build? Here is what I am intending:
White/grey
Manual transmission
20" Cayenne SportDesign II Wheel
Convenience Package
14 way power seats
Panoram Roof
Roof rails and molding
Bose Audio package
PASM
Total MSRP $66.6k

While I realize this is close to the cost of a decently built S, the manual transmission is a huge plus for me.

Is the Bose audio worth it? Normally I am a stock-radio type of person, but the stock radio in the Cayman is the worst radio *ever*. Not an issue in the Cayman as I like to hear the motor; may be an issue in the Cayenne though.

Thanks in advance for any tips/info/advice!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks like a nice build. Personally I think the Bose system is a definite upgrade over the standard audio and the price is not outrageous. As to your main question, I 've not used a car seat in mine but even with the front seats all the way back there is still a lot of room in the rear. It's been a long time since my kids were that size so I'm trying to remember how their car seats were configured but I can't imagine one interfering with front seat room. Take a car seat to the dealer and check it out.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:47 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

We put our little one in the middle on the rear seat. My daughter will turn 1 on Friday and her seat is a rear facing one. So, we have plenty of room behind us. I am only 5'8" so there is lots of room in the back. Not sure if there will be enuf room if the car seat were directly behind the driver or passenger seat.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:36 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Why not pick up a manual CPO GTS? There was a thread about these manuals not being that high in demand in the used market. You can probably get a good deal on it.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:39 PM
jplumlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a CS that spends most of its time with a 2 and 4 year old strapped in. The Cayenne is a great fit IMO for folks that want performance, safety, and enough room for everything you need. The CS has all the necessary hooks and clips for securing a car seat properly. The only suggestion I would make is to remove the head rest ( if the car seat is tall enough to reach it) as it will leave indention's once you cinch down the seat. Also, you might consider getting one of those seat protectors that go underneath the carseat between it and your upholstery as it will also leave indention's after it's been there a while.

My kids love riding in "daddy's car" cause we go fast (according to them) and they sit up high enough to see. lot's-o-fun

One of the first words my daughter said is "Porsche" .... made me so proud
Old 11-09-2011, 02:06 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Why not pick up a manual CPO GTS? There was a thread about these manuals not being that high in demand in the used market. You can probably get a good deal on it.
I did take a look at that option. Basically, in my area there are 5 GTS with manual within 100 miles. They are all in the mid to upper 50s, if not mid 60s. At that price range, I'd rather get the newer car, even if it has less HP/performance. In addition, I like the looks/style of the newer car a lot more and the fact that it weighs a lot less.

My wife and I both drive manual cars; she told me she would absolutely prefer a car with a manual. There are not many choices out there anymore that are a reasonable size for a family.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:07 AM
rsr
AutoX

we have a 1 year old and a 4 year old, the rear facing seats do take up more space, but I am 6'2'' and I fit. Yes its not all the way back, but I am still comfortable. Definitely get the seat protectors, and take the headrest off for the front facing seats. They will keep the carseat leaning more forward then they are supposed to.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
I did take a look at that option. Basically, in my area there are 5 GTS with manual within 100 miles. They are all in the mid to upper 50s, if not mid 60s. At that price range, I'd rather get the newer car, even if it has less HP/performance. In addition, I like the looks/style of the newer car a lot more and the fact that it weighs a lot less.

My wife and I both drive manual cars; she told me she would absolutely prefer a car with a manual. There are not many choices out there anymore that are a reasonable size for a family.
How long do you plan on keeping the car ? CPO to 100K is better than new car warranty if you keep it a while, and the GTS is better looking than the newer models
Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
How long do you plan on keeping the car ? CPO to 100K is better than new car warranty if you keep it a while, and the GTS is better looking than the newer models
+1 on all of the above.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:55 AM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rsr
we have a 1 year old and a 4 year old, the rear facing seats do take up more space, but I am 6'2'' and I fit. Yes its not all the way back, but I am still comfortable. Definitely get the seat protectors, and take the headrest off for the front facing seats. They will keep the carseat leaning more forward then they are supposed to.
What do you use for seat protectors?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:41 PM
mt-sfo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the stick shift in the new Cayenne to be much smoother than in the previous generation.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:37 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5year old in front facing and 5 month old rear facing with mom in between. No problem
Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Bath towels work great. I hear some of the seat protectors that are commercially available end up sticking to the seat. Towels are easily washable and cheap at your local Target.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:33 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Congrats on the baby. The rear seats do slide back and forth so you should not have a problem with a rear facing seat. Though you do sacrifice cargo space in the back when you slide the seat back to its farthest position. But you will have enought space for a stroller and such. I have two young kids. My oldest just went a booster and my little one is in a front facing now. You will still have room for all their stuff with the seat fully back. Weekend trips with luggage it will be packed and you may have to move the seats up. But it's manageable
Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 AM
nh9095
Intermediate

When u have rear facing car seat it is recommended to place it in the middle as it is supposed to be safer. Once you turn them forward facing and put them behind one of your seats you should have plenty of room. I am 6ft3 and have no problems. Also check babies r us and theyfave pads to put on seat specifically for protection and they have some little pockets on them for storage of baby things as well.

Quick Reply: Baby on way... thinking about getting Cayenne