roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is shameful that PCA does not cover this. Anything less than 8 year and 100K
Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully something happens in the class action..
Old 11-14-2011, 03:12 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Porsche must have decided that the bad will from this was something to be managed - they don't seem to have any standard way they handled the problem.

It's not like this is a minor problem considering the high failure rate and the consequences of the failure.

From what your hear they reimburse the original owners for some of the cost. Porsche replaced mine prior to a trip --- but they had created an unhappy owner at the time.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

ok.. so not satisfied and just wanted to get this out of my head.. geez.. i paid for this and still not feeling that "peace of mind".. i called the dealership and the service guy said that he'll check with the tech to be sure.. i gave them Arnee's invoice for comparison.. I also got confirmation from another p-dealership that for all their upgrades to aluminum, they go ahead and replace these t-connectors as they are known to get bad after upgrade - with for without leakage prior to the upgrade.. <sigh> i hope the service guy helps me out on this.. i've asked and insisted that these get replaced when i was inquiring about doing this, and then at the day i dropped off the car for service, i asked about this t-connectors to be replaced.

i'll update this post if i get anything on this..
Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck. My service advisor and tech knew about the t-connectors as well. Frustrating, isn't it?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

indeed.. hopefully this gets looked at, the service guy seems willing to assist/help.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 946 Posts

My service advisor was originally willing to replace my t-connector, even though my Cayenne isn't a turbo! I guess it all depends on the dealer...

I'd be surprised if Porsche does anything about this. You can bet that they've done an analysis of the potential risk and the potential financial exposure of doing nothing vs. fixing the issue. There's a well-documented history of this type of thing in the automobile industry. I remember reading a book in a business ethics class back in the 1980s about the Ford Pinto case. Ford Motor Company knew about the flaw to the Pinto and the potential for it to cause serious injury or death to owners, yet the financial analysis of the situation caused them to make the decision to do nothing to address the problem. If you look at the number of Cayennes with plastic coolant pipes that Porsche sold, the cost of recalling or repairing them all would be huge. I just don't see it happening.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My service advisor was originally willing to replace my t-connector, even though my Cayenne isn't a turbo! I guess it all depends on the dealer...
Wonder how he was gonna do that since only the turbo has the T pipe?

I'd be surprised if Porsche does anything about this. You can bet that they've done an analysis of the potential risk and the potential financial exposure of doing nothing vs. fixing the issue. There's a well-documented history of this type of thing in the automobile industry. I remember reading a book in a business ethics class back in the 1980s about the Ford Pinto case. Ford Motor Company knew about the flaw to the Pinto and the potential for it to cause serious injury or death to owners, yet the financial analysis of the situation caused them to make the decision to do nothing to address the problem. If you look at the number of Cayennes with plastic coolant pipes that Porsche sold, the cost of recalling or repairing them all would be huge. I just don't see it happening.
You might be surprised.

Manufacturers do respond to class-action-lawsuits. Loosing one garners them bad publicity that doesn't help sell cars, plus they have to abide by whatever the penalties are. BMW settled on a very expensive failure mode (rear-subframe-mounting points ripping out of the body of several BMW series) due to a class-action suit. The settlement was they would inspect any car brought to them for damage and fix those that were damaged. The repairs in this case averaged about $6,000/car - a major part of the body had to be removed and replaced.

Since corporations are now people - we might hope they have some sense of morality or "doing the right thing.." Unfortunately they haven't advanced quite that far up the evolutionary chain, so what they do respond to is one simple thing: Profits (or loss of..) and if a class-action-lawsuit shows signs of impacting the bottom line for more money then it would cost to make the problem go away - they'll make it go away - even when it costs money if it can be shown that it will save more money then it costs.

It sucks but that's the way it works..
Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me -- please check this ...... I want this replaced even if the technician thinks its Ok (and I'm paying) --- please look at this while it's up on the lift.

Even with a typed list it does not happen.

I feel you pain -- the service writers always assume the technicians know what to do.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

very frustrated, here's what happened:

- i was told that the tech said they checked the t-connectors and 'decided' that these doesn't need to be changed - said it looks good.
- so i asked, what if the t-connectors break, would they charge me for repairs even if i insisted that they changed these? response is YES!!! because these aren't part of the coolant kit that they replaced.
- sadly it's all true what yeltdogt said. it seems like they did a favor by saving me $$ because they didn't replace these but now i'm not confident and worried that these may break (and this is the reason why i replaced the plastic pipes in the first place - for f**ing peace of mind!!!). i asked about replacing the starter too since they are already there (to save me $$$ in labor charge), they said if i "insist" they will replace this if i'm willing to pay about $700+ just for the parts - but for these $39+ and less than $10 parts they didn't (replace) - it's more looking like they forgot about this.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

i called back and asked, what if i still wanted these t-connectors to be changed? i asked for an estimate - NEVER got a called back.

so frustrated i'm looking to trade the p!g... arrgh (currently at 38k miles).
Old 11-19-2011, 05:56 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trade it in? I say worry about it if/when it fails.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to add I had mine done a few months back including the Cardan Shaft. Parts / labor from Indy was about $3k. Not sure exactly on amount. This included all the parts mentioned and a new starter

Good luck with the dealer OP.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

i'm still in a search for a good shop here in houston.. so far all i found are crooks!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 PM
k.wise1
8th Gear

Auto House of Switzerland, not a bad place good people kind and honest...

Quick Reply: Coolant Pipes replacement..