Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilemma! Opinions on a Cayenne - 04 CS or 05 CTT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:15 PM
chode
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Dilemma! Opinions on a Cayenne - 04 CS or 05 CTT?

Hello All!

Need some advice, I've got a budget of $18,000 and have found some well priced cayenne's. Its my first cayenne and would like something that looks a bit mean! Was just curious what opinions anyone might be on these before I put down a deposit..

2004 CS in silver with black interior, turbo bodykit with a little overspray on sills, 21" GTS alloys, Black interior, Dension 500 ipod thing with bluetooth, most history with dealer, 120k miles
= $16,600

2005 CTT in prosecco metallic, tan interior, full dealer history for absolutely everything, all original paint, 97k miles, needs 2 tires.
= $18,400

CTT obviously the nicer car for the money but will use all my budget and I'm not sure about the color!

CS nice color, nice rims, probably more reliable (especially for occasional light off road), but higher miles and less clean body work..

Photo's attached. Anyone got any thoughts??
Attached Images   
Old 10-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Molitoth
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with whatever car has had new coils/plugs, Cardan Shaft, and Coolant pipes replaced. =) (also check brake pads)
If you are on a budget (like myself) you don't want to have to put this car in the shop at $150+ bucks an hour.
Open up the hood and listen to the engine run. Be aware that the Injectors are extremely loud, but an unusual ticking could be cylinder scoring.
Go read this thread >
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...placement.html

Don't let it scare you too much, but you need to know what to look for.

Personally I wouldn't be able to stand the (exterior+interior) color of that CTT. If you are satisfied with a CS, that silver (and black interior *drool*) is really nice looking!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:44 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Both look nice, but, personally, I would go w/ the 05. Just because I believe in not buying the first model year of any vehicle.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:47 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

CTT. Different dash, alcantara headliner, oh and turbos...
Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Molitoth
Advanced

Originally Posted by kalyan
Both look nice, but, personally, I would go w/ the 05. Just because I believe in not buying the first model year of any vehicle.
I'm new to the Pepper, but isn't 2003 the first year?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Molitoth
I'm new to the Pepper, but isn't 2003 the first year?
Yes, you are correct. sorry... for some reason I thought it was 2004.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:19 PM
chode
Intermediate

Thanks for the input! I think I'm leaning towards the CTT - just as its so amazing to drive and with the lower milage and price I feel like it will hold its value. Both cars have apparently had the coils and coolant pipes changed. Brakes should be okay for another year on my expected milage. Not sure about the Cardan Shaft though.

Would it be crazy to consider a full respray on the CTT?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Is the CTT being sold by a private party? Why is the price so low at $18.5k?

Cardan shaft isn't anything to worry about, cost-wise. As long as coolant pipes are done, I think you're good. Coils are coils, they can be changed easily by DIY.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:26 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go for the CTT you won't regret it, they both suffer from the same problems, but for me newer and lower mileage is better. Heed the caveat though, check what has been done out of the items mentioned by Monolith.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM
chode
Intermediate

CTT was an ex company car used mainly by the boss. It's a private sale.

If I go with the turbo I would probably look to get the bypass pipes in the near future and maybe change the rims to the GTS ones.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:32 PM
chode
Intermediate

mcbit I see your in Dubai, thats where I am too. Do you know anywhere that could do the bypass pipes?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM
chode
Intermediate

Some more pictures for consideration!
Attached Images     
Old 10-27-2011, 04:05 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

How about the Aston in the garage? Take that one!

The pewter silver color on the CTT isn't *that* bad, is it? I like it!

If it was in the US, I was going to say give me the info if you don't want the CTT.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:28 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Just a thought (not to pee on your parade.. but to suggest thinking about this..)

If you're stretching the budget with the CTT you will probably end up unhappy.

These are not cheap trucks to run. If you don't have $3-4,000 in discretionary emergency funds kicking around - the truck costs will eat you up. Just things like brakes and tires can easily cost $3k. Factor in things that break (and they do..) and not having the cash to fix the problems will make you quite unhappy, especially if you're not a really competant DIYer.

You mentioned the coolant pipes were done - is there any documentation that they've been done? Photos, receipts, etc? Without those, I'd bet they haven't been, and that's a $2k job every day of the week if you have to take it to a shop (and more if they fail and take out some of the expensive bits they like to..)

Despite the corporate exec sounding really respectible in being a past owner - most corporate execs I know couldn't give a damn about things like maintenance, and aren't worried about the value of the vehicle down the road. It's just a cost to them - one they try to minimize. You want to look for an enthusiast owned P!G - chances are better it will be in much better condition.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 877 Posts

I don't think the color is bad at all on the CTT, but I'm not the one buying the car. If you don't like it enough that you'd consider a full respray, then I think you should probably just buy another car. A respray would be very expensive. The CS looks nice, but I'd confirm that all the appropriate maintenance was done before buying that one. I'm not sure what to tell you about the paint. Poor bodywork/paint would bother me. I would also bet that the wheels on the CS are not OEM Porsche wheels, but probably replicas. It's interesting that it has yellow calipers too - PCCB wasn't an option in '04 to my knowledge. Someone probably just painted them yellow to achieve a certain look. That, combined with the wheels and the paint tell me that the owner of this vehicle was more interested in the look than anything else. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I'd want to make sure the service records were up to date.

Quick Reply: Dilemma! Opinions on a Cayenne - 04 CS or 05 CTT?