Help Needed: Hardwire DRL's for 2005 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:42 PM
RedDemon
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed: Hardwire DRL's for 2005 Cayenne

Hi All,

I'm planning to hardwire DRL's in my '05 Cayenne.

1. Is there a way to hardwire without going through the car's firewall (since the battery is located under the driver's seat)?

2. If going through the firewall (for the hardwire's), is there an existing location(s) where I do not have to drill anything and can just "run" the wire through?

Pictures would be most helpful!

Thanks all in advance!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:27 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I know you are looking to wire them, but the dealer can program this feature quickly through PIWIS system.

It will cost you a few $$ but easier and more reliable than a hard wire.
They can also flip the speedo to KPH if you are outside the US or UK.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:38 PM
RedDemon
7th Gear

hi scott,

thanks for the info.

how does the progamming work?

still looking to get some info. on how to get the wires from the engine throught the firewall into the battery area.....

thanks again!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:36 AM
porschered951
AutoX

I also installed DRL's on my 04 CS and ran the power and ground wires through the firewall and used a add-a-fuse to the fuse block(drivers side) for ignition power on and off. I think I used location 48 which is not used and available for adding a circuit. I also installed a black oval style rocker switch with small LED(LED on when DRL's are on) to the lower dash panel. This set up gave me the option to turn on or off the DRL's when the ignition is on. Must admit it took along time to figure out how to provide power to these lights. But now it's done the lights look great on the CS on or off.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:09 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

I had the dealer program the lights when I took it in for another service -- they did not charge me to turn them on.

Last edited by yeldogt; 10-18-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:33 AM
bmbratz
Intermediate

Hi sorry to jump on board what type of DRL's you got and also how big and what location have you fitted them in?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 AM
bfly
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
I had the dealer program the lights when I took it in for another service -- they did not charge me to turn them on.
Which lights are used as the DTRL and what years is this possible?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:54 PM
RedDemon
7th Gear

porschered951, did you have to drill through the firewall at all? OR was there a location where you can just run the wire through directly (maybe near the steering column)?

i got the drl's from a company called: ijdmtoy.com. they come with a controller where it shuts them off with a 10 sec. delay and turns them on when the car is started. all you need to do is mount, run the wires and connet to + and - of battery.

my only need now is to figure how to run the wires throught the firewall (without drilling if possilble) to access the battery of the cayenne which is under the driver's seat.....
Old 10-18-2011, 03:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDemon
porschered951, did you have to drill through the firewall at all? OR was there a location where you can just run the wire through directly (maybe near the steering column)?

i got the drl's from a company called: ijdmtoy.com. they come with a controller where it shuts them off with a 10 sec. delay and turns them on when the car is started. all you need to do is mount, run the wires and connet to + and - of battery.

my only need now is to figure how to run the wires throught the firewall (without drilling if possilble) to access the battery of the cayenne which is under the driver's seat.....
Curious how they know the engine is running or not.. but it would certainly be lots easier to run the wiring to the battery-jump point under the hood. On the drivers side under a plastic panel, clearly marked. No need to go through the firewall (unless you're obsessed with doing it that way.)
Old 10-18-2011, 05:37 PM
RedDemon
7th Gear

deilenberger, that's exactly what i was looking for. i'n not obsessed or do i really want to run the hardwire needlessly....hahah

i know the location you are talking about (battery jump point), but i didn't see were to "tap" in on that area.

do you have a pic or a diagram of how i can connect the + and - in that area.

thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Our we talking about the same thing -- The DRL on the CS are the headlights. With the xenons -- they just go on when you start the car.

The last thing I would want to do is mess around with any of the Porsche controllers or wires - they are bad enough without any help. And God only knows what could be screwed up.

The cars already have the capacity built in?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:52 PM
RedDemon
7th Gear

yeldogt, this is for a '05 base cayenne. it did not have DRL (strip/bar type) where the fog lights go (not in the headlight assemy itself) so i'm planning to install aftermarket ones.

i definetly don't want to play around (cutting into existing wires) with wires already there and that's why ,if i can figure out how to get to the battery (or another location with + and -) it would be most ideal.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

So the base Cayenne did not come with fog lamps?

The fog lamps are not part of the Daytime Running Light system anyway.

Maybe what you are trying to do is to add lamps that attempt to replicate the strip lights found on other later models ....and use them for DRL?

That's something different
Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 PM
porschered951
AutoX

RedDemon, sent you a p/m
Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
RedDemon
7th Gear

porschered 951, thanks. got your p/m and replied back....

yeldogt, nope, did not come with fog lamps. yes, trying to get drl's where the fog lamps would be. using a bar type rather than a strip type.

Quick Reply: Help Needed: Hardwire DRL's for 2005 Cayenne