Sponsored by:

Pig wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 PM
working4it
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pig wont start...

Moved the pig out of the garage this morning to clean the garage. Moved it back in after I was done. Went to take a quick trip to the store and all I hear is a "whurrrrrrr" sound. Definately not turning the engine over.

Is not throwing any codes. I tried rocking it forward and back in gear to see if it just slipped, nothing but whurrr....Son of a B*tch...

Starter or timing chain?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

My guess: starter solenoid. The starter motor is turning over (whirring sound) but the plunger isn't moving and engaging the starter pinion with the flywheel ring gear. Sometimes a rap on the solenoid with a rubber mallet will loosen a stuck plunger temporarily but you will likely need a replacement solenoid eventually, at the least.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM
working4it
Instructor

Alright...I am an idiot...I way... over-reacted. I replaced the main fuel pump awhile back so I didnt even think it could be the pump. As always you have to try one more time. Well it took a second of the starter running, sputtered and started (running rough). I turned it off. I just got done pulling all of the coils and plugs. They look in great condition. I just put in new plugs and ...-08 part # coils less than a year ago. I am going to pull the fuse for the one pump and see if it will idle...
Old 10-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

There's obviously a lot more going on than you indicated in your first post. Good luck, hope you find the problem.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 PM
working4it
Instructor

Your absolutely right. I broke all the rules...panic, jumping to conclusions....need the damn thing to work because I need to tow my grill to cook for 80+ coworkers for a tailgate.

Damn thing just started up fine. Took it for a quick ride....told the wife I would call her to come get me if it broke down. No issues, fast acceleration and great idle. I am low on gas (idiot light came on) so now I am thinking "check valve". Still worried that the sound I heard is a pending bad starter.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:25 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics of Cayenne towing grill! Or we will photoshop our own...
Old 10-08-2011, 10:44 PM
working4it
Instructor

The P!G towing the The Pig cooker! If it starts fine tomorrow and everything is okay for a quick ride then I will risk it and take the grill...Pics to follow
Old 10-08-2011, 11:03 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could we possibly convince you in the name of the Greater Cayenne Good to, in fact, (a) get an actual luau style pig skewered on a spit, on the grill, lit and smoldering; (b) drive the porkier P!G down an actual public roadway towing the smoking p!g beghind in plain sight; and (c) shoot any sort of video or still photos of said ensemble??

This could be epic...!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thinkin' big Sean.......I like it!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
My guess: starter solenoid. The starter motor is turning over (whirring sound) but the plunger isn't moving and engaging the starter pinion with the flywheel ring gear. Sometimes a rap on the solenoid with a rubber mallet will loosen a stuck plunger temporarily but you will likely need a replacement solenoid eventually, at the least.
If it's a V8 you would have a heck of a time rapping on the starter since it's on top of the engine, sitting between the "V" and under the intake and coolant pipes.

But yes, I've done that trick many times on old American cars and even a Ski Nautique boat w/ a V8 inboard. It can even be a problem with new starters if they've sat on the shelf for awhile.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:02 AM
Designer
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by working4it
need the damn thing to work because I need to tow my grill
That right there is awesome. Yes, pics please!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:46 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 993BillW
If it's a V8 you would have a heck of a time rapping on the starter since it's on top of the engine, sitting between the "V" and under the intake and coolant pipes.

But yes, I've done that trick many times on old American cars and even a Ski Nautique boat w/ a V8 inboard. It can even be a problem with new starters if they've sat on the shelf for awhile.
Only had my '11 CS for a few months; haven't had occasion to locate the starter yet so I guess my suggestion wasn't worth much in this case. Being European I should have known they would bury the thing somewhere inaccessible. But it used to work on my first car, a '61 Plymouth with the 318 cid V8!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
working4it
Instructor

Alright...deffinately not epic or down the highway...Next time I promise I will get a picture of the pig , hauling the grill with a pig roasting...give me a few weeks.

I risked taking the pig, it started and got me home...very nervous the whole way. I am replacing the vent line and check valve hopefully this will be the last of it...wait did I say last of it...yahh right....
Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Designer
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Love it!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Only had my '11 CS for a few months; haven't had occasion to locate the starter yet so I guess my suggestion wasn't worth much in this case. Being European I should have known they would bury the thing somewhere inaccessible. But it used to work on my first car, a '61 Plymouth with the 318 cid V8!
Worked on a few 318's. Chryslers of that era had a few problems but starters weren't one of them. They sounded bad but they rarely failed. I think I remember replacing 1. More GM and Ford starters than I could count but a bad Chrysler starter was rare.

My first car was a '67 MGB. After I spent a month or so doing the maintenance my uncle failed to do on it it was a pretty good car.

Quick Reply: Pig wont start...