Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Opinion on CPO warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011 | 11:01 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Default Looking for Opinion on CPO warranty.

Hi Folks,

I am in the market for a 04-06 Cayenne and I have looked at a few at some local dealers that are listed with a 2 year/ up to 100,000 mile bumper - bumper coverage. Any real world experience on the warranty here?
Old 10-04-2011 | 11:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

The CPO warranty is for 2 ADDITIONAL years after the factory warranty (which is 4 years) ends OR 100k miles, whichever comes first.

That means a CPO warranty will have a term of a total of 6 years from "In-Service Date" (ie - the day the truck first left the dealers lot with the first owner/leesee.) 6 years and 1 day - it's all over.

I doubt very much if any '04 wasn't sold until October 2005 - but I guess you never know. What you should know is ANY Cayenne sold before October 4th, 2005 has no CPO warranty - it expired today.

There may be some '05's with CPO, and there are '06's with it (mine is until 12/12 - the truck in-service-date was 12/30/06..)

And the warranty is only as good as the dealer you take it to (you CAN take it to any Porsche dealer.) I have heard of not such great service from my local dealer (plus I have the service records on my truck), so I take it to a dealer further from me who actually sets about to solve a problem, not just deny that it exists. If you have a good dealer - it's a great warranty, it's basically the same as the new car warranty (100% coverage for everything except wear parts..)
Old 10-04-2011 | 11:35 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

04-06 models would not qualify for a Porsche CPO. You are likely talking about an aftermarket warranty program. If you search the archives for warranty and use Hawaii in your keyword search, you will learn quite a bit about how many of us feel about aftermarket warranties.

Two words - Caveat Emptor.
Old 10-04-2011 | 11:46 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Thanks for the advice, it was my understanding that according to the CPO paperwork at the dealership " Are all pre-owned Porsche vehicles suitable for the Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Program?
Vehicles eligible for inclusion may be current model year and be no older than (8) years old from the original in-service date with less than 100,000 accumulated miles or 160,000 kilometers. " "If the qualifying Porsche Approved vehicle is purchased while still under the new vehicle warranty, the maximum coverage is 6 years/100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers from the date the car was first delivered to the first retail purchaser, or the date it was first used as a demonstrator, lease, or company car, whichever comes first.
If the qualifying Porsche Approved vehicle purchased is outside the new vehicle warranty, the maximum coverage is 2 years from the date of sale or up to 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers, whichever comes first.
Can I transfer the warranty?
Should you wish to sell your Porsche, you will also benefit from the Pre-owned Porsche Warranty. The remaining warranty is transferred to the new owner. And this will undoubtedly increase the value of your vehicle."

I believe that this is the area that the Dealer is stating from, that said, how has the experience been using the CPO.
Old 10-05-2011 | 12:27 AM
deilenberger
Banned

That's something new.. interesting. Guess selling used Porsches isn't as easy at the moment..
Old 10-05-2011 | 10:43 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If you prefer getting a root canal without novacaine from an epileptic dentist who just discovered you slept with his wife AND his daughter (at the same time), then you'll be fine owning a Cayenne without a CPO/OEM warranty.

Otherwise, always get an OEM/CPO warranty
Old 10-05-2011 | 05:32 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
If you prefer getting a root canal without novacaine from an epileptic dentist who just discovered you slept with his wife AND his daughter (at the same time), then you'll be fine owning a Cayenne without a CPO/OEM warranty.

Ouch!

I'm now having a very hard time ridding this image from my mind
Old 10-05-2011 | 05:36 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

^^^

Larry is just coming up with new t-shirt material
Old 10-05-2011 | 05:47 PM
Stone43
Racer

E-WMN, who in hell is that guy? Never a dull avatar from you.

Anyhow, CPO warranty saved me **** many times. Coils (3 times), Coolant Pipes, Cardan shaft and those stupid in dash motors that make a racket when they go bad. All covered and saved my pig from having an "accident" somewhere down south, near the border.....
Old 10-05-2011 | 06:11 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Stone, this is Vincent Cassel in his break out role as Vinz in "La Haine". Good movie, btw. Here's the scene:

Old 10-05-2011 | 06:32 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ltc

Having had that actual scenario happen to me I would agree with Lewis.
Old 10-05-2011 | 06:43 PM
Stone43
Racer

Ha!

I just played that clip in the Starbucks I am currently roosted in and received a couple of interesting looks. Now I know a good tactic as to how to meet new people. Odd movie clips with volume cranked.

And I was able to blame it on a crazy east coast chick who prides herself on being an "enigma." Well done, young lass.
Old 10-05-2011 | 06:54 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stone43
Ha!

I just played that clip in the Starbucks I am currently roosted in and received a couple of interesting looks. Now I know a good tactic as to how to meet new people. Odd movie clips with volume cranked.

And I was able to blame it on a crazy east coast chick who prides herself on being an "enigma." Well done, young lass.
What?? Who's he talking about? We got a crazy Right Coast chick in this madhouse? Tell me it's not true!
Old 10-05-2011 | 06:57 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stone43
Ha!

Here, "sane" west-coast rooster, play this and see what kind of people you'll meet at that Starbucks of yours as a result

Old 10-05-2011 | 07:02 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
If the qualifying Porsche Approved vehicle purchased is outside the new vehicle warranty, the maximum coverage is 2 years from the date of sale or up to 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers, whichever comes first.
Can I transfer the warranty?
Should you wish to sell your Porsche, you will also benefit from the Pre-owned Porsche Warranty. The remaining warranty is transferred to the new owner. And this will undoubtedly increase the value of your vehicle."

I believe that this is the area that the Dealer is stating from, that said, how has the experience been using the CPO.
That is correct. I purchased a CPO 2004 CTT in late August, and the warranty is good for two years from the date of my purchase or 100K miles, whichever comes first (it will be the date, not the mileage for me). I've already had my local dealer fix the parking brake release and a couple malfunctioning vent trim pieces that weren't discovered in the selling dealer's inspection. It's just like having the original factory warranty; there should be no issues getting the dealers to fix things.

Quick Reply: Looking for Opinion on CPO warranty.