HID Foglight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Fabianrou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halogen to HID

Originally Posted by turbostang
Anybody here replace there stock halogen foglight to HID?

Which brand HID and what kelvin?

This is my next project, I want my foglight to match the headlight. Maybe I might get the 5000k for the headlight and foglight. Perfect match.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

any comment on DDM Tuning HID??
On my 04 Cayenne I installed 8000K HID's and it looks awesome! That being said it took me a couple of weeks and a ton of frustration to get it right by making a few mistakes. First of all you have to buy an HID kit that is "CAN BUS" otherwise you'll be chasing errors on your dash forever even with the "error cancellers" they will try to sell to you. On a 04 Cayenne the "cartridge" type headlight assembly has a connector on the back that it plugs into that sucks as a basic design. On mine the wires were just rotted so I bought 2 new ones for about 45 bucks each and modified them so that when I pushed the headlight back into the connector it would actually make a good connection. After that it has never skipped a beat and the lights look amazing. Worth every penny!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM
VorsprungDurchTechnik
Intermediate

Can someone tell me what size the foglight bulbs are on the new '11 - '12 Cayennes? I'm thinking of replacing the stock white bulbs with yellow foglight bulbs from PIAA.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM
turbostang
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VorsprungDurchTechnik
Can someone tell me what size the foglight bulbs are on the new '11 - '12 Cayennes? I'm thinking of replacing the stock white bulbs with yellow foglight bulbs from PIAA.
H11 bulbs for the 2011 and up foglights

Have you consider installing 3000k HID?
Last a lot longer and cheaper than the Piaa.

$35-$45 depend on which ballasts you prefer.
$15 error eliminators

I order the 5000k hid for the foglights and 5000k D1S bulbs from
www.ddmtuning.com

This link below have pictures of my 5000k setup.
http://m.6speedonline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256459
Old 10-28-2011, 01:27 AM
VorsprungDurchTechnik
Intermediate

Originally Posted by turbostang
H11 bulbs for the 2011 and up foglights

Have you consider installing 3000k HID?
Last a lot longer and cheaper than the Piaa.

$35-$45 depend on which ballasts you prefer.
$15 error eliminators

I order the 5000k hid for the foglights and 5000k D1S bulbs from
www.ddmtuning.com

This link below have pictures of my 5000k setup.
http://m.6speedonline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256459
Thanks for the info. How much would it cost roughly for an aftermarket specialty shop to install the HID assembly?
Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 AM
VorsprungDurchTechnik
Intermediate

Look what just arrived! I drove past my dealership on the way home from the gym and happened to see my car in the front parking lot. It must have been delivered shortly after the dealership closed. Looks I will take delivery Sat. (need to get the front windows tinted).
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2011, 08:52 AM
turbostang
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VorsprungDurchTechnik
Thanks for the info. How much would it cost roughly for an aftermarket specialty shop to install the HID assembly?
There really no need to have someone else install the HID, save your money for other mods.
Installing the HID is very simple. Turn the wheel to one side, remove about 5-6 torx screws, pull back the fender splash shield. remove bulb and connector.
install the HID.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:58 AM
turbostang
Intermediate

This is the link to access your fog lights.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...1-cayenne.html

If you need help installing and don't mind driving to nyc, ill be happy to help you with the installation.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
kikokiko
1st Gear

yes i did the conversion. my porsche cayene came with factory hid BUT i didnt like the color. I bought a pair of bulbs 10000k for 80$ and i bought a 10000k canbus 55w hid conversion kit for my fog lights. The hid kit for the fog lights work well and since i matched both kits, the result is aweson. i took some picutre. if someone have any question where i bought my hid kit or if someone need any tip how to install it.... pm me

Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have installed DDM tuning HID's in my ML and c43 amg. The ML has been running them for three years now with no issues. The improvement over stock halogens was HUGE. I wanted to mention that the color is a bit different between 35W and 55W at the same temp. 35W @ 4500k is about the same as 55W @5000k. The extra wattage tends to whiten the light out. As other posters mentioned the optimal temp range for the human eye to discern the most detail out of the light decreases as the color gets past about 5500k+.. Daylight ranges in the 4000-5500k range mostly and our brain's "software" interprets visual data sharpest at those temps.

Anyway food for thought... blue and purple lights look cool but don't work as well (for human eyes).

Quick Reply: HID Foglight conversion