Sponsored by:

Help. Need advice on how to release center hub bolt to remove wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:19 PM
AJN334
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help. Need advice on how to release center hub bolt to remove wheel

Went to do my brake job today, rotors and pads. After lifting car and removing nuts, I went to pull the wheel (technos wheels) off to notice the center hub piece seems to be locked onto the wheel!! (see pics below)

Is this normal? I don't think it is. What type of tool do I need to loosen it? Where can I buy?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1827241...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1827241...n/photostream/

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

The wheel should be just resting on those flanges, it should slide right off. Rock it in and out, probably just some corrosion/paint causing it to stick.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:34 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

You definitely don't need to remove that big nut, or even remove the center cap. Once you have the 5 bolts off you should be able to just pull the wheel off the car. It may be slightly stuck but should pull off fairly easy, if not, just kick the tire a couple of times. The big nut you see through the center cap is the the axle nut which is only removed with the wheel off and only if you are removing the axle for some reason like replacing CV joints and such.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Put the wheel lugs back in. Tighten them finger tight, then turn them out ONE turn. Get in the truck, start it - move it a foot and slam on the brakes. That will jolt the wheel off the hub. To prevent this in the future, clean the center hole in the rim, coat the inside edge of the center hole in the wheel with some anti-seize (do NOT get it on the wheel lugs! Finger smear is good..) before replacing the wheel.

You may find it equally difficult to remove the rotor. Usually a lead-rubber hammer tapping from behind on the outer edge will jar it free. Something like PB-Blaster or other magic bolt loosening fluid may also help. Once you have the rotor off - use a wire brush to clean the center hub and the flange the rotor sits against. Rust on the flange will cause the rotor to wobble - and cause pulsing brakes.

A smear (finger applied) of motor oil on the inside of the rotor hub (where it goes over the hub on the flange) will make it easier to remove next time.

Most dealer mechanics don't bother with the simple steps that make the job easier next time - I guess they figure someone else is going to do it next time so why bother..

Quick Reply: Help. Need advice on how to release center hub bolt to remove wheel