Sponsored by:

First little problem.. wet carpet

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:35 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Simply air-drying the connectors is insufficient. Unplug each and every electrical connector in the footwell and verify the connector pins within for corrosion. The corroded connector(s) should then be replaced using an AMP pin extraction tool and a wire crimper.

If desperate, you can also follow the hack's routine by cutting off the connector and soldering the two wires together; followed by heat shrink tubing application. However, the latter would not be very "Porsche-like".
Old 07-04-2016, 06:04 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

It is not only the sunroof drain but also the drain from the windshield.

Remove passenger fron wheel, pull back wheel liner (remove 4-5 attachments point) there is a plastic funnier at about 2 o'clock position, clean and of remove.
If clogged, water will fill up area and drain into car footwell area.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:01 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add me to the list of wet passenger floor and rear driver side floor. Happened on a 3 hour trip to a wedding. We got there and my wife said her bag was wet. I've done my research and will check the vents under the wheel arches, sunroof vents, and AC vents under the glove box, and wiper tray vents. We did have the AC on the whole trip and I am thinking this is the culprit. I noticed fogging coming out of the center passenger vent, almost like a humidifier, but only for a minute or two. I am going to try the fix myself but is this something insurance would cover? I am mostly worried about musty smell lingering. Thinking about drying as best as possible and getting some dehumidifier products to leave while it dries.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

One might also note - according to people I trust, and some exploration I did - the bundles of cables sometimes have a factory butt connection right in the middle of a bundle.. meaning the ones running under the carpeting likely have these. These butt connections are about the same size as the wire - but you can spot them because of the black shrink wrap used to seal them up. Unfortunately they are not entirely waterproof - and if left in a wet environment they will corrode. Problem is - the wire may also corrode for some distance from the splice. Capillary action draws water up between the wire strands and since they're bare copper strands (not plated as marine grade wire is) - corrosion can occur under the insulation.

The fix in this case is to cut out and replace the splices. If you're lucky and water hasn't travelled up the wire it's fairly simple to do. If you're unlucky - then you're into splicing in a new section of wire, and trying to make two waterproof butt splices.

Anyway - wrapping the wiring in DynaMat would to me be exactly what you don't want to do. You'd be trapping moisture with the foil, making a bad problem even worse. Chances are excellent that FabianRou has some corroded wiring under the DynaMat. And that is what's causing the multiple electronic failures.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

BTW - I would wonder what one might be trying to achieve adding Dynamat to a floor that already has 2" of heavy foam soundproofing covering it, and then dense carpeting. The Cayenne is probably the best soundproofed vehicle I've ever seen. The soundproofing if anything is already done to excess.. and adding more isn't going to improve anything IMHO.

What's the story on that?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:12 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Might be good to put together a DIY for checking and cleaning all the drains on the Cayenne. Seems like something that is pretty simple to do and could save some headaches down the the road. I haven't had any issues yet, but moisture + a complicated car is never a good combo.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:48 AM
7 Summits
Instructor

So I checked the multiple areas for blockage:

1. Poured water in the sunroof drains and they drain free.
2. Poured water down the front windshield by the wipers and they drain free as well.
3. Checked the drain in the RF wheel well and it was clean and debris free.

4. Checked the ac condenser under the glove box on the passenger side, removed the boot/ drain that goes through the firewall and it was clear. A little bit of water came out of the condenser? but didn't see anything blocked. I did notice that the black body, which I assume is the condenser to be condensing like crazy. I pulled the filter and it was dry and free of debris.

So I think I've narrowed it down to the condenser? Why is it sweating so much? How do I clear it/ empty it?

I bought a few large jugs of damp-rid and left the windows and sunroof open overnight. This morning it was already almost dry and no smells. I just want to figure out if this is something I can fix or if it has to go to my indy.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

7 Summits - it would help if we knew the year of your Cayenne.. might narrow down the possibilities, they're not all the same.

IF it's a 955/957 - it's worth checking under the hood, behind the foam piece that directs water from the windshield down into the wheel well (it's right below the hinge on the passenger side.)

On my '06 - I had a persistent leak which would wet down the passenger side if there was a real downpour. I cleaned the sunroof drains, the AC drains, and it still happened.

Finally found it - when I moved the foam piece out of the way, I was able to see the firewall right behind the fuse box area. I found there was a hole through the firewall with nothing in it. There was a wiring harness backing up to it, so it wouldn't be visible from inside if you could get to the area (doubtful). And I could see a trail of water that flowed down from the windshield, went to a V shape recess formed by the firewall and inner fender wall, and when that filled up - went into the vehicle through that hole.

TADA! I had a plastic body plug that fit it just fine - installed with a bit of caulking - and the problem was gone. That V recess between the firewall and fender inner wall also was full of rotted leaves, munge, all kinds of crappola that washed off the windshield. I'm sure that wasn't helping it drain.

So - that's on a 955 and likely a 957. Someone at the factory forgot a body plug.

I have heard similar problems with 958's where a seam in that same area was supposed to be sealed at the factory - but apparently the sealant robot ran out of juice and some got through without being sealed. Similar problem. Fixed by sealing the seam up.

Anyway - when ALL else fails - it's worth looking a bit deeper in the engine compartment. I first spotted the missing plug using a mechanic's protoscope video camera from Harbor Freight. It's one of those tools you don't think you need, but once you have it - it's a wonderful tool. It's been used for finding missing/dropped bolts in the '11 engine compartment, that never would have been found (and retrieved) any other way.. worth every penny of $80 or so I paid for it on sale.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:45 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Its a 09 GTS. Any chance you can point out the trouble area on a diagram?

Before I noticed the wet carpet when I turned the AC on there was a light fog/mist/condensation coming out of the right center air vent by the head unit. The wet carpet happened on a long ride with AC on the whole time. It had not rained in a while.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I don't have any diagrams that would apply.

Open the hood.
Look at the hinge on the passengers side.
Look below the hinge
You'll see a foam-rubber baffle
The problem was at the bottom of the baffle (which is supposed to direct water down and not into the engine compartment. In my case it directed it down and through a hole that shouldn't be there.)

BTW - since we don't know where you're located, it's hard to guess at the weather/humidy conditions your vehicle might be experiencing.

It would probably be useful if you went to your user settings and made a sig with that information, and the info on your Porsche in it. It would eliminate nag messages from me for one..
Old 07-07-2016, 05:06 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

I'll have a look when I get home tonight. Do you need to remove the cover closest to the windshield? Looks like it is connected t a weather seal at the bottom of the windshield.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:42 AM
7 Summits
Instructor

Checked out the area you mentioned and did not see anything glaring- bone dry and no leaves or obstructions at all. Good news is that the carpets are dry but I haven't been driving it much. I did a test run with the ac on full blast for a few minutes and didn't notice anything. Then I put the air on the lower foot vents and noticed immediately that water was spitting out of the vent under the drivers seat and was spitting water onto the rear left passenger seat floor mat. So I assume there is water collecting somewhere, just don't know where or why. If nobody has any experience with the same problem I will probably just bring it in to my indy this afternoon.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:27 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Update- After searching for the culprit and coming up empty handed I took it over to my Indy. He checked all the drains and they were clear, as I told him they were. Put some compressed air in the ac vent and heard a blockage move. All fixed. He also removed the star shaped rubber cowl drain plugs. Porsche actually sent a bulletin to remove these on all Cayennes. He also said that the ac drain problem is very common specifically on the Cayennes. In addition when ever driving for a extended period of time with the ac on you should turn the ac off for 5-10 minutes and let the fans runs. $120 bill for 1 hour labor and all is well. Pleased with the results as it is mid 90s here for the extended future.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:38 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by 7 Summits
... In addition when ever driving for a extended period of time with the ac on you should turn the ac off for 5-10 minutes and let the fans runs.
Yep, good call. For decades I have always shut my a/c off PRIOR to landing in my driveway / garage.

But mostly cuz I hate the puddle of water dripping in my garage after I shut down.

Have always thought that letting the a/c system purge itself, prior to shutting the running engine off (even if it's just for 2 minutes), was a good thing.

my .02

Glad to hear you solved it Summits.

Quick Reply: First little problem.. wet carpet