Sponsored by:

2012 Cayenne - V6 or V8

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by jwestpro
Get real, the new Cayenne is no where near a "truck". The prior Cayenne could only even be considered a burly SUV by way of having the low range transfer case.

As awesome as it is, the new Cayenne is still clearly a "car" / "crossover".
I've got a wad of pics that say differently...

Here's a good one: Finn with half-a-ton of fire pit materials loaded in the back (and half the back seat!):

Old 04-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboys5
Carrera GT, I am a complete newbie and just ordered my first Porsche (a Cayenne Diesel). I have read many of your posts here and it is clear you are very experienced and knowledgeable in the field of "Porsche". But I am puzzled by your comment that the diesel they delivered is "sluggish and un-fun" to drive. If you are comparing to a TT then sure. But I have to say I have read probably every review done on this vehicle (many, many) and they are virtually unanimous in praising the drivability of the diesel and the fun factor because of the excellent torque. We're talking daily driver here, and nothing more. Again, not a vehicle for a speed fanatic, but not fun at all and sluggish? I really hope not.
I have a diesel Mercedes GL and I was optimistic the Cayenne diesel (arriving late to the party in the US market) would be a good option. I read a couple of reviews and listened to a friend that drove the car at an event overseas, his advice was "everyone thought the throttle response was sluggish" but that was in side-by-side driving with the S and S Hybrid (which is said to be quite spritely off the line, but ridiculously expensive in the US for what it is ... and you have to assume the Hybrid in the US market will be an unremarkable vehicle in the resale market ... it has little mpg improvement and trade-offs don't justify its sticker to me.) So I took the caution about the driving of the diesel and the expense and unexcited comments about the Hybrid and decided to stick with the GL (which is about to be replaced in the second half of 2012 anyway.)

I read a couple of reviews and I would concede I was not scientific about it -- I was probably looking only for clues that the reviewer noticed the throttle lag as the turbo built boost. Comments revolved around it being slow from a standing start, but once it's moving and has a head of steam, it's good. I read the tails side of that coin and I guess you're reading the heads side.

I also remember a video review on youtube, which I can't find, it was the Aussie "Drive" review ... the guy was touring around city streets and I recall him noting that if you were expecting a spritely town car, it felt a bit heavy and sluggish ... I didn't find that video as I looked back over my YouTube history right now, but I did find this joker in a pink shirt, who says much the same thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-uJS...ailpage#t=106s

I wouldn't discourage you from the Cayenne Diesel assuming you're happy with driving it and get a good, long demo drive in a test car before taking one home. I would add that when we got our first diesel (a Ford Excursion) my wife was quick to note the lag (of course, the Excursion weighs twice as much as the Cayenne, but still ... ) anyway, she weighs about 110 lbs and 90 of those pounds are in her right foot, so she started out disliking the GL350 (Bluetec turbo diesel) but now we have about 10K miles on our second GL350, and she never comments on the lag (it's there) and likes driving it. We adapt. We'll likely get the 2013 GL350 too. Once you get used to a diesel (600 miles between visits to the pump) when you drive a gas-engined SUV, we loathe the short range and guzzling mpg, so it's horses for courses. I couldn't even guess at he actual mpg of a 911 (21?) but who cares? For an SUV that does 10K miles in a year, getting 25+ is noticeably more convenient and cost-effective than 15 or less than we got in the old Cayenne Turbo (with Power Kit ... and that 90lb right foot I mentioned ...)
Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I saw that video with the joker in the pink shirt. Also, keep in mind that video is from 2009, so older model with less than the current torque (I think). Anyway, your comments are fair enough. It is impossible to test drive the diesel as its not in NA yet, so I admittedly took a bit of a leap. I did manage to test a TDI Touareg though, just to get the feel of driving a diesel and it was absolutely fine. Hoping the Cayenne will be a bit more spirited in ride and handling though. I guess I'll find out in September.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

I stand corrected on the 2009 model torque number, as it appears to be the same 406 lbs that's in the current model. A bit more HP in the new model though.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Stainless
Intermediate

I have been a v8 guy most of my 30 years of driving. Our new 2012 Cayenne has the v6 and I honestly can not tell a difference at all. As a matter of fact when my wife drove it for the first time, she looked at me square in the eye while at a stop light and asked "is this a turbo?". Now if you knew me you would understand why she asked, lol. I like to upgrade and modify just about every item I own. For once, it was a delight to tell her straight up with out having to "spin" it. Lol
Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by Stainless
I have been a v8 guy most of my 30 years of driving. Our new 2012 Cayenne has the v6 and I honestly can not tell a difference at all. As a matter of fact when my wife drove it for the first time, she looked at me square in the eye while at a stop light and asked "is this a turbo?". Now if you knew me you would understand why she asked, lol. I like to upgrade and modify just about every item I own. For once, it was a delight to tell her straight up with out having to "spin" it. Lol
Fun story
Cool that she enjoyed driving your Cayenne and its sportyness
Now,try to imagine her reaction if it had been a turbo...
Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Riley & Mrs. Stainless - two people who think there's no difference between a V6 & a Turbo

No, scratch that, Riley's V6 is actually faster than a Turbo
Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

There's a new v6 and used v8 at Sonnen now.

Quick Reply: 2012 Cayenne - V6 or V8