Sponsored by:

2012 Cayenne - V6 or V8

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Cayenne - V6 or V8

Thinking of ordering a new Cayenne, but can't decide if the V6 is good enough..... Went to the dealer and test drove a Cayenne Turbo - no V6 or S at this time. The turbo is very impressive, but not representative of what I'm considering getting. Seems like all V6's are sold before they even get to the dealer.

I've read reviews of the V6 and most of them report some degree of steering wheel vibration above 3000 rpm. Since I can't get my hands on a V6 Cayenne to test it, I'm asking for some help and input from others here who've either driven or currently own the V6 version.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:16 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

I currently own a 2011 V6 and love it. It's not fast by any means, but I don't feel like it struggles at all when you need it to move. You should be able to find lots of reviews on this and other forums about the 958 V6, there are a few who don't like it, but i would say the vast majority of us owners love it. I remember reading a post from someone who drives a 2011 CTT say they were pleasantly surprised by the new V6 when he had it as a loaner for a day.

All that said, I really think it depends on your expectations and what you're used to. If you want your SUV to have a lot of get up and go, the V6 probably isn't the right choice. I'm definitely very happy with mine, but that doesn't mean I don't sometimes wonder what it would be like to have more power. It also doesn't help that just about every post I've read from new 958 CS owners rave about the engine. I'd say if the extra $ doesn't mean a whole lot to you, go for the CS. Otherwise, the V6 is a great car and more than adequate IMO.

Good luck!

Last edited by slwong23; 07-17-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:13 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i wouldn't say the V6 is "slow", the V8 is faster but when i test drove both i never needed to put the pedal down enough to notice the difference... my V6 gets me to fast highway cruising speeds with ease and around town even quickly without a problem.

its 12k extra (taking away the extra free options) for the V8, i felt that money could be spent elsewhere... even after driving all the models.. if you have disposable cash, go with the TT.. if you want a Cayenne... V6 ;-)
Old 07-17-2011, 01:29 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

I only noticed the steering vibration when others brought it up last winter. Haven't thought of it since. To me the v6 is quick enough for the streets. I thought that it felt slow on onramps at first but that was because I didn't want to rev too high at first. Now, I stomp it when I want and it feels quick.

Tempted to sell mine though because I do miss having a small porsche. However I do think it's a fantastic vehicle.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:23 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by daddyscar
I only noticed the steering vibration when others brought it up last winter. Haven't thought of it since. To me the v6 is quick enough for the streets. I thought that it felt slow on onramps at first but that was because I didn't want to rev too high at first. Now, I stomp it when I want and it feels quick.

Tempted to sell mine though because I do miss having a small porsche. However I do think it's a fantastic vehicle.
as far as vibration i really have none, my only qualm was the engine being more setup for TQ than HP which was new to me as i've never owned an SUV before. which i am used to, fact remains you stop the v6 to the floor and it's much quicker than you would expect...

i also want to get back into a smaller porsche, funny thing is i feel my 09 911 coupe was a better DD than the Cayenne... just really dont need the extra space all the time and when i needed to carry large items i always was able to make them fit in the 911... as soon as 6 months is up with my 2012 Cayenne V6 i'll be back into a 911, the new one hopefully being out by then.

side note: even the 65----90mph for "passing" on highway is quicker than you would think because of the gearing and 8 speeds... when i test drove the TT, you say "holy ****", but when i test drove the V8 i said "12k?"... the V8 is fast, faster up top, actually wants to go past 115mph with ease.. but in all honesty i could never see myself putting it to use... if i didn't have my Exige and had a family i would definitely have the TT however..
Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the advice and comments so far. I'm leaning towards the V6 at this point. Now I gotta figure out what options to get..... the hardest ones for me right now are: PASM or not, and whether to get roof rails or not.....
Old 07-17-2011, 10:46 AM
porschefun
Advanced

Mike, I have ordered V6 and waiting for delivery probably in two weeks. I drove my friends turbo which is amazing. But for the $ V6 serves my purpose. Check the following link on the configuration i ordered.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ml#post8663863
Old 07-17-2011, 11:08 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porschefun
Mike, I have ordered V6 and waiting for delivery probably in two weeks. I drove my friends turbo which is amazing. But for the $ V6 serves my purpose. Check the following link on the configuration i ordered.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ml#post8663863
Thanks. I've been following your thread this whole time. I have a friend who's a sales guy at the Porsche dealer, and I've been told that they're not discounting any of the Cayennes right now since the local demand is higher than supply

Does anybody know if the Porsche made V6 (the one in the Panamera) or the Audi V6 TDI would soon make it into the Cayenne? Maybe for MY2013..... Just wondering
Old 07-17-2011, 05:49 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
Thanks for all the advice and comments so far. I'm leaning towards the V6 at this point. Now I gotta figure out what options to get..... the hardest ones for me right now are: PASM or not, and whether to get roof rails or not.....
Mike, PASM on a Cayenne is a waste of money. The stock suspension is fantastic. I ordered a 2012 to replace my wife's 2009. The Convenience Package for $5,620 is a good value, and the Light Comfort Package for $250 is worth it.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:54 PM
rlporter5
Intermediate

Thinking of ordering a new Cayenne, but can't decide if the V6 is good enough..... Went to the dealer and test drove a Cayenne Turbo - no V6 or S at this time. The turbo is very impressive, but not representative of what I'm considering getting. Seems like all V6's are sold before they even get to the dealer.

I've read reviews of the V6 and most of them report some degree of steering wheel vibration above 3000 rpm. Since I can't get my hands on a V6 Cayenne to test it, I'm asking for some help and input from others here who've either driven or currently own the V6 version.

Thanks!
I currently have an '08 S (V8) Cayenne - and I ordered a 2012 V6 to replace it. The V8 is impressive, but the V6 to me is very very strong. When I weighed the pro's and con's, the V6 was the hands down winner for me.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Thanks. I've been following your thread this whole time. I have a friend who's a sales guy at the Porsche dealer, and I've been told that they're not discounting any of the Cayennes right now since the local demand is higher than supply

Does anybody know if the Porsche made V6 (the one in the Panamera) or the Audi V6 TDI would soon make it into the Cayenne? Maybe for MY2013..... Just wondering
you can get discounts if you shop around, sadly however in your market (CA) they are harder to get, i got 7% on my 2011 and getting 6% on my 2012... but have done business there a while... more important than discount however is SUGGESTED BUILD DATE, as all dealers have different allocations and some might be 3 months out and some 1 month. ;-)

the V6 in the current cayenne is VW, i have heard the Porsche V6 (in panamera) will come in a year or two because of some agreement with VW runs out.

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Mike, PASM on a Cayenne is a waste of money. The stock suspension is fantastic. I ordered a 2012 to replace my wife's 2009. The Convenience Package for $5,620 is a good value, and the Light Comfort Package for $250 is worth it.
the cool thing is you can get PASM for 2k now with steel springs, or air with PASM for 4k, i do not think they even allowed PASM on steel before. both i feel are overpriced however, then again if you factor the AIR is only 2k additional, then i guess in that sense it's good. just 4k is excessive imo for air+pasm.

Last edited by rijowysock; 07-17-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:25 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the V6 in the current cayenne is VW, i have heard the Porsche V6 (in panamera) will come in a year or two because of some agreement with VW runs out.
I read in a Motortrend article from last year the VW VR6 will be used for 2 complete model cycles, which means we wouldn't see a change in the engine for another 5 years or so. I found the article, pasted the link below.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/specs.html
Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

the cool thing is you can get PASM for 2k now with steel springs, or air with PASM for 4k, i do not think they even allowed PASM on steel before.
Not the case, Riley. PASM was available as a stand-alone option for $1990 with the standard steel spring setup for 2011. However, if you wanted AS, it only came as a package with PASM for $3990. (Per 2011 Cayenne ordering guide)
Old 07-18-2011, 01:13 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Not the case, Riley. PASM was available as a stand-alone option for $1990 with the standard steel spring setup for 2011. However, if you wanted AS, it only came as a package with PASM for $3990. (Per 2011 Cayenne ordering guide)
i thought thats what i said,

starting 2011 you can get PASM on steel springs for 2k

or for 4k u can get PASM on Air (extra 2k for the air technically cause pasm is 2k)
Old 07-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

i thought thats what i said,

starting 2011 you can get PASM on steel springs for 2k

or for 4k u can get PASM on Air (extra 2k for the air technically cause pasm is 2k)
This thread is about ordering a 2012 Cayenne V6. So when you said, "you can get PASM for 2k now with steel springs, or air with PASM for 4k, i do not think they even allowed PASM on steel before", I naturally assumed you were saying that the PASM/steel combo was available now in 2012 and not before in 2011. Apparently, we had a failure to communicate.

Quick Reply: 2012 Cayenne - V6 or V8