Sponsored by:

Back of passenger seat detached...porsche techs and experienced members

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:09 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Back of passenger seat detached...porsche techs and experienced members

after a day of not so fun river floating the SO decided to crawl into the back to lay down and she some how kicked the rear seat back off.

This is the plastic backing, on the top row are 3 clips glued to the backing and they just detached where they were glued and are resting in place and need to be reglued and reapplied.......the bottom 2 brackets were snapped off but I have all the pieces.

I would like advice if super glue would be the best applicant to reattach and then fangle the seat guard back on....

anyone know of a better "glue/adhesive" to use and instructions on how best to put the seat protector back on after they are reattached..........
Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Since these aren't going to be visible - either epoxy or Gorrilla Glue would be my choice. Super glue never worked all that well for me, you want something with some "body" to it.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW: My go-to adhesive is clear ShoeGoo. Easy to remove any excess and it holds. My pedal set has been on my Cayenne for 7 years with ShoeGoo.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Parabola
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first post, so "hello". I have been battling this same problem over the last two weeks. I researched some 3M interior adhesives and found one at an auto parts store that I believed would have worked. Applied to the three brackets the top, bungy corded the seat back to hold in place for 24 hrs, and it held.......for about 3 days. Cleaned the area up well and tried again just to make sure the application process was good. This time it held for a little over a week. Yesterday it fell again, so I went to the Gorilla glue brand (had great results in other applications so decided to use). Cleaned up the contact areas well again and applied last night. The bottom two plastic "hooks" that help hold the seat-back for vertical weight were also broken, so I used the gorilla glue to put those back in place too. I'm about 15 hours into the holding process so I plan to take the bungy straps off this evening and see how well it holds up. I live in FL so the approx 150 deg interior temps all day long with added humidity while parked at work really work against adhesives (headliner dropped recently too). Anyways...hopes this helps.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:27 AM
working4it
Instructor

I have never liked superglue. I would use the self mixed epoxy 1st choice(in the two tube syringe) but I am also a fan of Gorilla glue like Dielenberger.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:44 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your SO may have ddone nothing, they fall off!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Parabola
AutoX

Update: Gorilla glue did not work as well. If anyone knows or finds a solution, i would be interested in hearing the success stories. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add me to this club. On mine, two of the three plastic mounts at the top stayed attached to the panel, while their black metal clips stayed clipped into the seat back. That was fun to surgically remove. Had to refashion the clips and re-bend the barbs meant to hold them on. They do shear off after about 12 bends, FYI.

Gorilla did not work for me--one of the mounts is just laying in there at the bottom. So far, the other two still factory-glued are holding. I wonder what the dealers use?
Old 07-26-2015, 10:26 AM
vsurg
Rennlist Member

Add me to the crowd here. Must say that I would not expect this in a 7 year old >$100K vehicle and am very disappointed in the marquee. That said...I have the same problem and noticed that the passenger seat back fell of first and was held in place with Duct Tape (of course) made into a double sided tape...so I think I will just purchase some decent double sided tape to do the same thing.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:55 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Ok guys,... I have THE solution for you. If there is ANY meat at all left in the plastic brackets that are inserted, then you can re-attach them to the seat back with this tool.

I have used this for MANY small plastic jobs & its holds AS GOOD AS NEW. It especially works well in areas where you do not see the backside. Because that is where your repair will be.

Check out, and read up on this tool. Mine has paid for itself over MANY plastic repairs projects on my '68 & '69 Camaro's,... dash repairs, small plastic vents. I have even repaired my mothers plastic tray drawers in her refrigerator!!!

You'll get three different type of staples (qty 100 for each type) in the kit too. Flat, wave & corner staples which give you SO many options for repairing in tight spots.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-hot-stapl...ir-system.html

The kit is a LOT more expensive than glues & epoxy's,... but you'll use it for MANY years.

Longer YouTube video showing how it works...
https: // www .youtube.com/watch?v=n_OWRdPWE-0

Shorter Marketing Video...
https: // www .youtube.com/watch?v=-GMl6J7G7R8

Good Luck!!

Last edited by bweSteve; 04-03-2021 at 05:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mikefirefox (09-14-2022)
Old 07-26-2015, 10:20 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
after a day of not so fun river floating the SO decided to crawl into the back to lay down and she some how kicked the rear seat back off.

This is the plastic backing, on the top row are 3 clips glued to the backing and they just detached where they were glued and are resting in place and need to be reglued and reapplied.......the bottom 2 brackets were snapped off but I have all the pieces.

I would like advice if super glue would be the best applicant to reattach and then fangle the seat guard back on....

anyone know of a better "glue/adhesive" to use and instructions on how best to put the seat protector back on after they are reattached..........
Not your SO. I've seen these fall off from Cayennes that have never had people in the back.

I'm sure you used the "babe, WTF!" comment when you saw this. This phrase is sacred among men, and reserved for the truest of moments when women screw up. If you used this phrase, please go out and purchase a large assemblage of colorful plants, so as to not water down the phrase's impact when you truly need to use it.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:02 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

BweSteve, nice pair!
Old 07-28-2015, 01:07 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is what I finally did after they fell off again this past March.

Blueridge Molle Panels 14/22.
Attached Images    
Old 07-28-2015, 06:54 AM
Orantes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Not your SO. I've seen these fall off from Cayennes that have never had people in the back.

I'm sure you used the "babe, WTF!" comment when you saw this. This phrase is sacred among men, and reserved for the truest of moments when women screw up. If you used this phrase, please go out and purchase a large assemblage of colorful plants, so as to not water down the phrase's impact when you truly need to use it.
+1000
These moments are precious.....
Old 07-30-2015, 10:19 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I fixed mine with a few screws

2 black head sheet metal screws in from the back into the outer most plastic tabs that used to be glued.
Fixed in 2 minutes and I don't sit in the back so I will never see them.
FYI, a new seat back is over 300.00$ US

Quick Reply: Back of passenger seat detached...porsche techs and experienced members