Sponsored by:

Back of passenger seat detached...porsche techs and experienced members

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Shoe Goo IS the answer, guys!

Forget Epoxy, "Super Glue" and adhesive fabric sprays.....none of them worked. That tacky, silicone glue from Japan works best.....Jimi says!

Gotta Shoe Goo the busted bottom clips first, giving them a full, 72-hour curing time. Then apply three huge globs where the unglued top snap clips affix. Keep the back panel attached to the seat with huge strips of masking tape, for another 72 hours....and it's ALL GOOD.

High ambient heat and constant pressure from folded rear seats always make these seatbacks fail.

Last edited by Dilberto; 06-06-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:51 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Update - Shoe Goo Failed...

My black/black interior read 144deg F after an afternoon sitting in direct 108F sunlight with 47% relative humidity. The laser thermometer cannot lie - the Shoe Goo was NO MATCH for this kind of muggy heat. Ideas?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:00 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
My black/black interior read 144deg F after an afternoon sitting in direct 108F sunlight with 47% relative humidity. The laser thermometer cannot lie - the Shoe Goo was NO MATCH for this kind of muggy heat. Ideas?
Move? Kidding, of course.

Has anyone tried the 3M tape used for moldings? I seem to recall seeing it with foam backing options too. Or the tube adhesive used for attaching emblems?

There's also their heavy duty 'velcro' pads used for attaching stuff like EZ-pass toll transponders to the windshield.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Ok guys,... I have THE solution for you. If there is ANY meat at all left in the plastic brackets that are inserted, then you can re-attach them to the seat back with this tool.

I have used this for MANY small plastic jobs & its holds AS GOOD AS NEW. It especially works well in areas where you do not see the backside. Because that is where your repair will be.

Check out, and read up on this tool. Mine has paid for itself over MANY plastic repairs projects on my '68 & '69 Camaro's,... dash repairs, small plastic vents. I have even repaired my mothers plastic tray drawers in her refrigerator!!!

You'll get three different type of staples (qty 100 for each type) in the kit too. Flat, wave & corner staples which give you SO many options for repairing in tight spots.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-hot-stapl...ir-system.html

The kit is a LOT more expensive than glues & epoxy's,... but you'll use it for MANY years.

Longer YouTube video showing how it works...
https: // www .youtube.com/watch?v=n_OWRdPWE-0

Shorter Marketing Video...
https: // www .youtube.com/watch?v=-GMl6J7G7R8

Good Luck!!

Is it sacrilegious to post non-P car pics in this forum? Tough Bananas. Here they are...
These 2 cars have received many OEM plastic parts fixed with this tool...

=Steve

That tool looks very handy - looks like I found my Father's Day gift. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
mikefirefox (09-14-2022)
Old 06-06-2017, 03:58 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Electric hot staples... who knew? That's a pretty clever solution for cracked thermoplastic pieces.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:00 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This happened to my seat backs, again heat means its a common issue in the middle east. I tried all consumer glues I could find - nothing worked. (gorilla glue etc..). Took it to the work shop, they used a silicone glue, its lasted a year so far. Temperature is 45degrees today, car sits outside all year around.

Quick Reply: Back of passenger seat detached...porsche techs and experienced members